Old Forge Dam to be rebuilt

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
My mom lives on a lake in Leisuretown and have heard about this for awhile. Does that water flow to the north (Rancocas) or south? I am assuming it flows north, otherwise I don't think the dam would make any difference to people living to the south.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The first paragraph says it straddles route 70.

I swam in that lake as a resident of Hampton Lakes in 1962. It appears Leisuretown must own the lake now, and don't want anyone swimming in it. A pity.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I'm not sure if the exact location but by the description I was thinking the same location as 46er. They also mention 2004 which was when all the dams failed in Medford. I thought some of the dams were compromised out there too.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
This pond was constructed after 1931.

Quite a bit later actually. I have been working with USGS historic topo's recently. It is not on the 1949 topo and first appears on the 1957 topo (Pemberton Quad).

1957.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you have not been to Big Hill you should take the time and go there. You must stop at the guard house and tell them you are visiting "Lookout Park Nature Center."

Follow Huntington Drive for .8 miles and turn right on Kingston Way. Go .15 miles to Gramercy Place and turn left. Travel .35 miles to the Nature Center at Lookout Park on your left. There is a dirt road in but it says no vehicles, and I parked on the road. There are senior citizens homes there so be respectful. Walk in to your left toward the gazebo, the tower foundations, the markers, and then the lookout view.

This is the foundation for the fire tower that is shown in Boyds topo. The geodetic monument is in it just above the word "Forest. There are others in the area if you look for them.

Big Hill.JPG