Tuesday In The Pines

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I took the day off from work and met up with bobpbx to explore the remote area's of the Middle Branch and beyond in Lacey Township. While exploring along the old Tuckerton RR tracks on our way there a tree frog started calling while Bob stood next to it. After a few minutes of searching I noticed it about a foot off the ground tightly snuggled against the tree on a small branch.

IMG_0296a.jpg

Much larger views.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/05302017/IMG_0296b.jpg

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/05302017/IMG_1166a.jpg

While crossing dense woods we came upon a low swampy area that we discovered was fed by a large seep. The sphagnum was as thick as you will find in the pines.

IMG_1185a.jpg

Bob worked his way up to the origins of the water flow where the water came right out of the ground.

IMG_1188a.jpg

IMG_1189a.jpg

As remote as this area was we discovered this Terra Cotta pipe with a piece of metal next to it. It may have been used sometime in the past to control the water flow.

IMG_1180a.jpg

Some of the roots crossing it we were able to remove and some we were not. Eventually we freed the pipe.

IMG_1179a.jpg

The pipe was from the Robinson Clay Products Company in Pottstown PA that was in business until 1970.

IMG_1182a.jpg

http://www.offroaders.com/info/Robinson-Clay-The-Pit-Memories.htm

Guy

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Very neat find Bob and Guy. Terra cotta pipe always amazes me. I see it in active service in many of the older towns that our firm works in as sanitary and storm sewer.
When it is removed from sanitary or storm sewer systems, some over one hundred years old, it is as bright and shiny as the day it went in.

We have engineered replacement projects for all of our municipalities where the terra cotta is replaced with PVC gasketed pipe an corbelled brick manholes are replaced with precast concrete. All of that work reduces I&I which is inflow and infiltration from stormwater and groundwater.
The problem with terra cotta is that it was laid in short lengths leaving a joint every 4'. These joints provide pathways for root intrusion, water infiltration and contribute to misalignment over time. Modern 8" SDR 35 PVC is installed in 14' lengths. Terra cotta is still made but the longest length available is only 6' in 8" dia.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Very neat find Bob and Guy. Terra cotta pipe always amazes me. I see it in active service in many of the older towns that our firm works in as sanitary and storm sewer.

Scott,

When I moved into my house in '82, I soon had trouble with my sewage not draining. Dug it up, and surprise! The system was made with Orangeburg pipe connecting to nothing but a cesspit made with interlocking bricks. The roots had no trouble getting into the joints. A new system with precast concrete and PVC with a proper drain field was quickly installed.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Awesome frog pic Guy! Also i love the spring.Something about springs that have always drawn me to them.Did you drink the water? Was it iron?Smell like sulphur? Or was it good water?

I will have you know that every time Bob and I are together and see a spring we think of you. We even had a discussion that you would have loved to be there to see it. Basically, a spring find is a mention of you. :)

Jessica was slightly annoyed she had to work and when we found the tree frog I just had to text her and send the photo. I got this back. :mad: Then Bob mentioned it was tough luck so I told her Bob said that and did not get a reply :D

Thanks to everyone who enjoyed this post.

Reactions: manumuskin

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Scott,

When I moved into my house in '82, I soon had trouble with my sewage not draining. Dug it up, and surprise! The system was made with Orangeburg pipe connecting to nothing but a cesspit made with interlocking bricks. The roots had no trouble getting into the joints. A new system with precast concrete and PVC with a proper drain field was quickly installed.
Orangeburg was some engineer's bad idea that somehow made it to market. Cardboard dipped in asphalt ? Yeah, that should last.