Kayak Question

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My daughter Jennifer just purchased a kayak. We all thought the sealed cover on the right side in the below photo was a sealed storage area until we removed it at home. Everyone I have viewed was a storage area.

IMG_3360.JPG

Unfortunately, this one is not.

IMG_3364.JPG

What is it's purpose if it is a tightly sealed cover? Drain plug?? I see they sell bags to put in there. Has anyone used them?

Last edited:

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Every one I have viewed was a storage area.

It is a storage area and better that it is open as draining and cleaning the so called 'sealed' ones can be a pain, as most leak. The cover just provides access. This type dries easily after use. Get a couple of dry bags. Might consider attaching some mesh behind the seat to hold things in place with some glue on d-ring patches.

Nice looking Cherokee ;)

165672528.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It's a 2016. She has had it one year this past week or so and has 36,000 miles on it. She has a long drive each and every weekday and many weekends. She is hoping to go with her friends kayaking to keep herself sane.

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
I have two Wilderness Systems kayaks with storage areas like this with foam bulkheads that are supposed to make it it waterproof, but it isn't. I use it for storage, but anything sensitive goes in dry bags. I've have great success with Sea to Summit dry bags, they are lightweight and come in a large variety of sizes.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks everyone. I think she has made a decision.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
A couple of suggestions for transporting; put a twist in each of the hold down straps. It will keep them from humming when moving at highway speeds. I use these to tie down the front of my canoe to prevent damage to all the plastic on the bumpers. Several out there or you can make a set. They are placed in the gap between the hood and fender. There is a big torque effect on the front of the boat at highway speed, the link explains it better than I can.

https://www.amazon.com/Sherpak-0781...497871367&sr=8-1&keywords=sherpak+quick+loops

41Uz0CrXLJL.jpg

The article; the guy takes it to extremes, but he makes the point.

http://hpcanoes.blogspot.com/2011/08/car-topping-long-boats.html

Reactions: Jersey Jeff

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
These seem like a great idea. Newer vehicles, even trucks, have so much darn plastic up front it's hard to find a good anchoring point without damaging something when you tighten down. I wonder how much upward force the hood of some newer vehicles can take if you use these however. I normally get my lines pretty tight, just shy of bending the boat. I get unnerved seeing the boat move around at highway speeds. At that price, it's worth getting a set to check out.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Newer vehicles, even trucks, have so much darn plastic up front it's hard to find a good anchoring point without damaging something when you tighten down.

The other problem with some of the newer vehicles is where they place the roof rails. Many do not go far enough forward to allow a safe and secure tie down. I had to go with the Thule brand as they were the only ones I found that had a mount that worked well up front. Using the factory stuff would have meant about 50% of the boat would go unsupported in the worst place, up front.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
The other problem with some of the newer vehicles is where they place the roof rails. Many do not go far enough forward to allow a safe and secure tie down. I had to go with the Thule brand as they were the only ones I found that had a mount that worked well up front. Using the factory stuff would have meant about 50% of the boat would go unsupported in the worst place, up front.

Yes, that and the fact that most factory racks are referred to as "luggage racks" and not meant to carry the weight of heavier boats. I carry my aluminum canoe up top as often as I do my kayaks, and the last vehicle I had with racks did not support them well. I think I was beyond the recommended weight in any case, so I went with a Thule or Yakima. Too long ago to remember. Two pickups later, I've been using foam blocks for the front, with a hitch-mount bed extender rack for the rear, mounted in the high position. It always amazed me how a sedan or SUV can carry a long boat more securely than a pickup can.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have two Wilderness Systems kayaks with storage areas like this with foam bulkheads that are supposed to make it it waterproof, but it isn't. I use it for storage, but anything sensitive goes in dry bags. I've have great success with Sea to Summit dry bags, they are lightweight and come in a large variety of sizes.
Speaking of Wilderness Systems I have a Wilderness Systems Cape Lookout 135 I"m selling for 300.It's blue and still in great shape,unfortunately I can no longer fit in it.Going to buy a large cockpit recreation kayak that I can get into and out easier without going into contortions.My 135 is rollable.I"m going to sacrifice rolling for someting I can get out of easier in hairy swamp situations.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My daughter Jennifer just purchased a kayak.

View attachment 9245

Unfortunately, this one is not.

View attachment 9246

W

My daughter Jennifer hated her kayak. It tracked like a car that hit way too many curbs. She could not even put the paddle down for a second to take a photo or she would be going backwards. Her boss had someone from a company order one and she had the option to buy or not. The test paddle lated 30 seconds and she turned around and purchased it.

IMG_0742a.JPG

Reactions: manumuskin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
She took it to a friend so her boyfriend could try it out. If he is okay with it he will purchase from her. He is a really strong person and could maybe keep it going straight. If not, my daughter owns two kayaks.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
This is a good site for reviews by owners of a particular boat. You get a real opinion from someone other than a sales type. For a boat to track it has to be designed that way, most rec kayaks are not. A keel or rudder helps. Hope she likes the new one.

www.paddling.com