Along The Chamberlain Today

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I am working on a stone searching project for the fall and winter and while doing so I have decided to look for a few old stones I have neglected or failed to find along a tributary of the Chamberlain Branch. This is not the time of year to search but with Jessica busy today I decided to go anyway even though the area this time of year is very dense and also remote. I parked at this rye field and walked a half mile down an overgrown road that was certainly plowed before September 1959.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.8691377825833&lng=-74.36326224010469&z=18&type=hybrid&gpx=

My first stop was to search for the beginning stone of this cedar swamp tributary. Usually, but not always they are the most interesting as they sometimes are inscribed or large in size. On arrival at the location I wanted to look it seemed promising. The area was dense but not overly overgrown. Round and round I went until....

My walking stick next to it.

a.JPG

b.JPG

I could not find anything inscribed on it. The back was blocked by branches and I have some slight injuries to my fingers so I was not able to properly look. In any event, this stone most likely has been there since before 1860. And I suspect that more than likely with the last survey of this property being in 1959, I am the only person alive who has viewed it.

c.JPG

I then worked my way back looking for state monuments that were placed on corners where the stones had been removed somehow in the past. Looking at old aerials I suspect the stones were destroyed by logging which obviously happened. This one was actually in the cedar swamp and not on the upland as they usually are. Very easy to see ... I entered the cedar swamp and there it was. Again, 1959.

aa.JPG

This one was much harder to find. I crawled around on my hands and knees for what seemed like forever.

IMG_1380.JPG

IMG_1381.JPG

IMG_1382.JPG

While looking over old aerials I noticed what appeared to be an old gun club tucked away in a remote spot along the Chamberlain. Yesterday, Jessica and I tried to find the old road in but it is completely overgrown. So today I forged a stream and entered that way.

bb1.JPG

bb1a.JPG

bb2.JPG

bb3.JPG

The chimney almost intact. It fell and has been almost undisturbed since.

bb4.JPG

Evidence of the road in can still be viewed at the club itself.

bb5.JPG

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have a bunch of stones listed as Blacks stones with one inscribed to the NE of Eureka Gun Club.Also a couple of stones I"ve listed as Aserdaten.Is this stone part of that survey? I think I have some stones on here that you gave me the coords of but I could not find so maybe this stone you found is one of those but i doubt it because i think you actually found the stones of the coords you gave me.Was just wondering if it was part of the Blacks survey?

Reactions: johnnyb

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
No it was not part of the Black Survey. This was on the tributary of the Chamberlain by the rye field I posted the link to.

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
I know that you were exploring on the other (west) side of 539 but I was curious if you ever located either of the two GS stones along the Chamberlain? I know you had been looking some time ago.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I know that you were exploring on the other (west) side of 539 but I was curious if you ever located either of the two GS stones along the Chamberlain? I know you had been looking some time ago.

That is one of my goals for this fall and winter. I know where one of them was and have been there and could not find it. I will be going back once the vegetation reduces. I have been working on finding them the past few weeks using a survey Bob gave me recently. Once I start I will create a post about it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

Judging by you asking me I suspect you have some information on the GS.

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
Judging by you asking me I suspect you have some information on the GS.

No information, just a deed with the metes and bounds that describe two GS stones. I may PM you my best guess at coordinates for the GS stones and you can tell me how far away I was when you find them.

There is a related deed that has another incised stone not far from there. I have been looking through a pile of deeds and haven't been able to find the reference again. Will share with you when I come across it. No it's not the Black stone. Good luck.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
No information, just a deed with the metes and bounds that describe two GS stones. I may PM you my best guess at coordinates for the GS stones and you can tell me how far away I was when you find them.

There is a related deed that has another incised stone not far from there. I have been looking through a pile of deeds and haven't been able to find the reference again. Will share with you when I come across it. No it's not the Black stone. Good luck.

Okay. Sound good. The GS stones were there in 1860 so they are very old. How long before that I don't know.

There are two B stones in that area that are a part of the Black survey and I found one and know where the other should be. It is in a swamp that was near an old gun club so it may be gone. Other than that I can't think of another incised stone in that area so I would be interested in knowing something about that.

b.jpg