Skit Branch bridge closed - advisory from Wharton

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
I just saw this advisory posted on the Wharton State Forest web page and thought it might be of interest.

The bridge over Skits Branch in Wharton State Forest is closed effective October 11, 2017. Physical barriers and signs have been posted at both ends of the bridge. The bridge sustained damage by a suspected large, heavy vehicle. NJDOT will be assisting the State Park Service with its repair.

(I think they got the name wrong: should be Skit Branch, not Skits Branch?)

(Does anyone have a picture of the bridge? Is it something a sane person driving a "suspected large, heavy vehicle" would try to cross?)

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I can think of 3 Skit bridges, Carranza Road which was open today, Batona Camp and HF. The one at HF is closed to motor vehicles anyway.

PINEY WARDEN

Explorer
Jan 13, 2012
It is the little wooden Bridge on White Horse Road at the Skit Branch just north of the Batona Grass Field.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
From the WSF Facebook page.

PARK ADVISORY - The bridge over Skits Branch (behind the Batona Campground) in Wharton State Forest is closed effective October 11, 2017. Physical barriers and signs have been posted at both ends of the bridge. Sorrow House Road is most affected by this closure. The bridge sustained damage by a suspected large, heavy vehicle. NJDOT will be assisting the State Park Service with its repair.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
The bridge is old and rotten. Two years ago they replaced a plank that broke in the middle of the span. Note that the planks are not supported on the outside ends and snapped at the support beam. Last year a spike kept walking out. The heaviest vehicles I see using this bridge are the FFS power wagons.
PA130002s.JPG

PA130003s.JPG

PA130004s.JPG

PA130005s.JPG

PA130006s.JPG

And now for something completely different.
On the back of the sign at the bridge.
PA130008.JPG

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
I see Batona pink "turn here" blazes on the back of that sign. But that bridge isn't part of the Batona trail, right?

I wonder if the person who drove the 'suspect vehicle' over the bridge even knew what happened. And if he did, what was the second word out of his mouth when he realized his tire broke through...

Reactions: bobpbx