Cranberries

Heywood

Jan 7, 2018
Delaware
One benefit of life in, or near the pine barrens is the availability of cranberries. We harvested and consumed them ourselves, and to this day, I am convinced they contributed substantially to my health. What with high bush blueberries, we should all be getting a top score in the nutrition field. Until recently I added three or four mounded ice tea spoonfuls of chopped cranberries to my morning oatmeal EVERY morning. Now I add one level spoonful only.
On lab tests I score low on platelet count so bruise and bleed easily. A little nick causes me to rush to the celox or woundseal. My opthalmologist tells me I have bleeding in the back of my eye, and I know why now. I do not presume to give nutrition or medical advice, so only copy the following.

Start of quote >>>
Warfarin (Coumadin): Cranberry may raise the RISK OF BLEEDING, especially if you already take medications to thin the blood such as warfarin. It increases the amount of time that warfarin stays in your body. The evidence is mixed and not completely clear, so it is best to ask your doctor before you take cranberry or drink a lot of juice.
Aspirin: Like aspirin, cranberries contain SALICYLIC ACID. If you take aspirin regularly, as a blood-thinner, for example, or if you are allergic to aspirin, you should not take cranberry supplements or drink a lot of juice.
“Several years ago British regulatory authorities issued a warning to patients taking warfarin (Coumadin) not to drink cranberry juice. This combination was associated with excessive bleeding and one man died. An article in the British Medical Journal (BMJ) suggested that patients taking warfarin would be prudent to limit their cranberry juice consumption.
Since that initial publication, there have been other reports of interactions and contradictions. This interaction remains somewhat controversial. One study showed that two cups of cranberry juice a day did not lead to bleeding worries. But there is a case of a man who died after drinking a substantial amount of cranberry juice daily after two weeks. The cause was internal hemorrhage linked to an interaction with his blood thinner warfarin.
The most recent reference is another case report in which a person twice experienced elevated INR (a measure of blood thinning) after drinking cranberry juice cocktail.
Our standard reference for drug interactions, Drug Interaction Facts, recommends that people should avoid drinking large amounts of cranberry juice if they are on warfarin.”
University of Maryland Medical Center
<<< end quote

Reactions: rc911

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There was only anecdotal evidence that cranberries was causing bleeding and in fact there was no evidence at all. Researcher are now saying that is was coincidental that those individuals taking blood thinners while consuming cranberries were bleeding from it. You can read that report here. As with all food and drink you should eat and drink in moderation. Except maybe water.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/19/health/19real.html

Last edited:
Reactions: 46er

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
It is usually best is to ask one's doctor.

UofMD Medical Center seems to be confused on their position. From their web site, under 'Precautions';

"The evidence is mixed and not completely clear, so it is best to ask your doctor before you take cranberry or drink a lot of juice."

http://www.umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/cranberry

And the Mayo Clinic, my personal favorite medical reference next to the Merck Manual, lists a whole bunch of stuff that can or might interact with Warfarin. Cranberries are in the might column.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...depth/warfarin-side-effects/ART-20047592?pg=2

Heywood

Jan 7, 2018
Delaware
There was only anecdotal evidence that cranberries was causing bleeding and in fact there was no evidence at all. Researcher are now saying that is was coincidental that those individuals taking blood thinners while consuming cranberries were bleeding from it. You can read that report here. As with all food and drink you should eat and drink in moderation. Except maybe water.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/19/health/19real.html

Thanks for posting the correction. I wouldn't normally consider the subject appropriate for posting except that me, and my famlly literally believe they are traditional, and fit for inclusion here, because of area and subject matter. I get my six month lab results in about a week and will check my platelet count and INR.

Heywood

Jan 7, 2018
Delaware
One benefit of life in, or near the pine barrens is the availability of cranberries. We harvested and consumed them ourselves, and to this day, I am convinced they contributed substantially to my health. What with high bush blueberries, we should all be getting a top score in the nutrition field. Until recently I added three or four mounded ice tea spoonfuls of chopped cranberries to my morning oatmeal EVERY morning. Now I add one level spoonful only.
On lab tests I score low on platelet count so bruise and bleed easily. A little nick causes me to rush to the celox or woundseal. My opthalmologist tells me I have bleeding in the back of my eye, and I know why now. I do not presume to give nutrition or medical advice, so only copy the following.

Start of quote >>>
Warfarin (Coumadin): Cranberry may raise the RISK OF BLEEDING, especially if you already take medications to thin the blood such as warfarin. It increases the amount of time that warfarin stays in your body. The evidence is mixed and not completely clear, so it is best to ask your doctor before you take cranberry or drink a lot of juice.
Aspirin: Like aspirin, cranberries contain SALICYLIC ACID. If you take aspirin regularly, as a blood-thinner, for example, or if you are allergic to aspirin, you should not take cranberry supplements or drink a lot of juice.
“Several years ago British regulatory authorities issued a warning to patients taking warfarin (Coumadin) not to drink cranberry juice. This combination was associated with excessive bleeding and one man died. An article in the British Medical Journal (BMJ) suggested that patients taking warfarin would be prudent to limit their cranberry juice consumption.
Since that initial publication, there have been other reports of interactions and contradictions. This interaction remains somewhat controversial. One study showed that two cups of cranberry juice a day did not lead to bleeding worries. But there is a case of a man who died after drinking a substantial amount of cranberry juice daily after two weeks. The cause was internal hemorrhage linked to an interaction with his blood thinner warfarin.
The most recent reference is another case report in which a person twice experienced elevated INR (a measure of blood thinning) after drinking cranberry juice cocktail.
Our standard reference for drug interactions, Drug Interaction Facts, recommends that people should avoid drinking large amounts of cranberry juice if they are on warfarin.”
University of Maryland Medical Center
<<< end quote

I think I'm replying to my own post but us old folks confuse easily:
I received my lab tests early and went immediately to platelet count. On 1/8/2018 the reading was 10 k/cmm lower than on 8/6/2917. That shoots down THAT aspect of cranberries causing bleeding for me since I had drastically reduced my consumption of cranberries for that period of time. I trust (machine) lab tests because the worst advice I have EVER received, came from the mouths of doctors. I will note that I do not take warfarin or blood thinners, but the University of Md does say that both aspirin and cranberries contain salicylic acid which can cause bleeding, and one should consult a doctor. Ah yes! Thats the fellow in the white coat with a stethascope around his neck who knows all, but he's always busy validating those wonder drugs on TV and rescuing people from the side effects. Besides, I can't afford him or the generic nurse practitioners.
I think I will continue reduced consumption of cranberries.

PINEY WARDEN

Explorer
Jan 13, 2012
I think I'm replying to my own post but us old folks confuse easily:
I received my lab tests early and went immediately to platelet count. On 1/8/2018 the reading was 10 k/cmm lower than on 8/6/2917. That shoots down THAT aspect of cranberries causing bleeding for me since I had drastically reduced my consumption of cranberries for that period of time. I trust (machine) lab tests because the worst advice I have EVER received, came from the mouths of doctors. I will note that I do not take warfarin or blood thinners, but the University of Md does say that both aspirin and cranberries contain salicylic acid which can cause bleeding, and one should consult a doctor. Ah yes! Thats the fellow in the white coat with a stethascope around his neck who knows all, but he's always busy validating those wonder drugs on TV and rescuing people from the side effects. Besides, I can't afford him or the generic nurse practitioners.
I think I will continue reduced consumption of cranberries.

There are definitely more health benefits to eating blueberries and cranberries. There have been many dollars spent on health studies through many years that has proven it. I am a proud blueberry and cranberry grower of the New Jersey Pine Barrens and have consumed more pounds of each kind every year than most. Blueberries and cranberries are Definitely much better for you to consume than all of today's process junk people buy at a store. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I put frozen blueberries and cranberries in my whey protein shake every morning. In season, there is a farm stand at Oakshade and Stokes that carries Moore's Meadow blueberries. I eat two pints a day for about a month.

Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That shoots down THAT aspect of cranberries causing bleeding for me since I had drastically reduced my consumption of cranberries for that period of time.

Well, I am glad that it is not cranberries causing your problem.