Henry Drinker

Heywood

Jan 7, 2018
Delaware
I ran across a bio of Henry Drinker who figures in South Jersey iron furnaces. Being a Quaker his influence was felt in southern New Jersey. One of my ancestors was a Quaker who jumped the fence. Since another of my ancestors was a Scots Irish fellow who didn’t get along very well with Quakers I guess I can be objective about all that. Henry’s bio is at:

http://snaccooperative.org/ark:/99166/w6rr1z7b

Reactions: manumuskin

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I ran across a bio of Henry Drinker who figures in South Jersey iron furnaces. Being a Quaker his influence was felt in southern New Jersey. One of my ancestors was a Quaker who jumped the fence. Since another of my ancestors was a Scots Irish fellow who didn’t get along very well with Quakers I guess I can be objective about all that. Henry’s bio is at:

Yeah, you have to be careful dealing with those Scott-Irish. Like a powder keg next to the campfire.

I wonder why Charles Read felt he was treated unfairly when he sold Drinker and Abel James furnace machinery from Etna so that they could use it at Atsion? Perhaps it was just his mind unwinding. Ref: "Family Empire in Jersey Iron", Author Pierce, Rutgers Univ. Press, 1964, Pg. 186.

Reactions: manumuskin

Heywood

Jan 7, 2018
Delaware

Actually there is no shortage of bios of Henry,
https://www.geni.com/people/Henry-Drinker/6000000001302245883
Many descendants and also a picture of him on his son's bio

Heywood

Jan 7, 2018
Delaware
Moms side were Scotch irish hillbilliy baptists.Dads were German Quakers. No wonder I"m messed up

I know you don't need my unvarnished account but... When I was a very young fellow, my mom couldn’t leave me at home with two older sisters who might do in her only son. A clear case of sibling rivalry extremism, I being innocent of any, and all false charges. She took me along on a visit to her old neighborhood in the Southwark section of Philadelphia. She went to a beautiful old church on Washington avenue, to tell her old pastor what she had been up to all these years, and to chat about the good old days. The last time I saw that old church, there was a different congregation, and pieces of tin patched the roof. By now, it may have been torn down. Her old neighborhood exists only in memories.
I remember her old pastor took me way up where the steeple began, and told me that there was a time when folks brought guns to church, and there were still some of those guns there. He brought out three of them, knowing a young fellow like me would be interested. I was, and never forgot. Until I read about the Cracker Nation confronting the Quaker Nation in Philadelphia, I didn’t have a clue that a Borderlander army had surrounded the city and 200 Quakers set aside their principles, and took up arms. The whole affair predates the later north and south disagreement, having touchstones of causes, but my family history embraced neither Cracker nor Quaker side at the time, so I must conclude those three guns still in the church were for defense against either?
I may not be a messed up descendant, but I'm messed up in totally lacking patriotic resolve for either .

Reactions: MuckSavage

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Maybe they had church shooters back then as well? I know a lot of churches have plain closthed members of the congregation packing now.
Everyone wants to go to Heaven but no one wants to go right now! I"m all for it myself. These psychos are having it much too easy.makes it more interesting when you walk into a room with a hundred people and you can't watch em all at once.Kinda like a crap shoot.How many will i get before they get me.None of this "three hots and a cot" crap for the guy who walks in on an armed congregation.He's goin to the big house down stairs and he is not to pass jail or collect 200 dollars.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Actually I imagine the reason folks brought guns to church back then was because they carried them every where with them.There were highway bandits, Injuns,bears in the woods.They probably sat them in the corner or in a closet till the service was over.Kinda like folks carry cell phones with them now and depend on the cops to get there in time to save em because their not allowed to defend themselves.Most of the time this doesn't work out too well but they have a nice video of the action later.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Al...."When seconds count, the police are minutes away"

Everyone.... Great story!
Not that I blame the cops for that. They can't be every where at once and it's really not their job to be our body guards.It's their job to make arrests and call the coroner afterwards and hopefully write down evidence to clear the innocent defender. NJ actually has a right to defend law.You just have to convince the jury that you were in fear for your life and could not run,in effect cornered when you put an end to the criminals misery.It helps if the body is found in the house. When you break the window make sure you smash it from the outside in.Thats more convincing and try not to leave drag marks as you drag them into the house. Also empty the magazine.Looks like your were in such fear you didn't know when to quit pulling.