Dead clothes dryer

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
on a night I really needed it. Spent a few minutes searching YouTube, 20 minutes later, a little hot solder on a blown circuit board connection and its running again. From the stuff left behind it looks like it exploded. YouTube is a wonderful place :D

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice!

I have a new washer and last night it tried to run away. Jessica ran into my room to tell me it was leaving. My daughter put in a little too much and it went off balance. This one tries to correct itself by filling with water and then spinning. That did not work. We had to drag everything out and put a few back in at a time. Even the drain and spin would not solve the problem. The childproof locking lid is an annoyance.

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Ours is about 10 years old, has a lot of buttons I'm afraid to try. Tonight it stopped working all of a sudden and was flashing a code. Quick search and problem resolved, I think. Still do not know what caused the failure, but it seems pretty common. Saved me $150 for a new circuit board and several days of wet clothes.

I remember when I worked for Sea-Land; when we were loading a ship they would pump water from one side to the other to keep it balanced. Sometimes it didn't work very well.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
My dryer stopped working last summer, it was only a few years old. Turned out to be a burned out heating element, was pretty cheap to replace. But it was going to take a week to get it shipped, so I drove up to the Sears parts center in New Brunswick. What a bizarre place, it was just about all that was left in an abandoned shopping mall with grass growing through the cracks in the pavement. They were still using PC based cash registers with green CRT screens. ;)

Reactions: 46er
Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Say what you want about the Internet, but I can't tell you how many times my butt has been saved with all the how-to sites.

As bad as it is, there's much good that came from it.

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
My son fixed my dryer last month. It sounded as though I was trying to dry baseballs. Nothing looked worn, so after three tries, he ordered the repair kit. It contained two drum rollers, a pulley, and a tensioner. It worked. Those Youtube videos are great.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
My dryer stopped working last summer, it was only a few years old. Turned out to be a burned out heating element, was pretty cheap to replace. But it was going to take a week to get it shipped, so I drove up to the Sears parts center in New Brunswick. What a bizarre place, it was just about all that was left in an abandoned shopping mall with grass growing through the cracks in the pavement. They were still using PC based cash registers with green CRT screens. ;)

I've always liked Sears. I bought a lot of Kenmore items over the years. They never seemed to pressure me. Bought a lot of exercise equipment from them too.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I've always liked Sears. I bought a lot of Kenmore items over the years. They never seemed to pressure me. Bought a lot of exercise equipment from them too.

Same here.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Same here.

In reality, Sears is now a name only. Their appliances are manufactured by a myriad of companies and branded with the Kenmore name, as do many other brand names. As a company they are in a financial death spiral. My wife worked in the Ocean County Mall store back in the 70's. It is now but a shadow of its former self. Once an American icon; destroyed, some say, by its CEO Lampert.

I have a couple old Sears & Roebuck catalogs in a box somewhere, and I bought my first .22 from one, a Sears 46, actually a Marlin 56. They stopped the catalogs in 1993. My Father-in-law bought a kit house from their catalog.

CIMG00891-e1360255105104.jpg

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
My most prized gun, mainly for sentimental reasons. It was my father's Sears J.C Higgins Model 60 semi-auto purchased from Sears in Camden in 1957. Killed my first duck with it. The gun still functions flawlessly and is built like a tank. High Standard made these for Sears. I still have a full box of Sears 00 Buck for it too.

It seems that people back then were much smarter than they are today. In the entire Owner's Manual there is not one warning about the fact that you had just purchased a gun and that it might be dangerous. Today, the first ten pages of any manual are in bold, red text warning you not to shoot yourself or others. :confused:

It came standard with a solid butt plate and one time while carrying it into the house, it slid out of the unzippered case and slammed onto the sidewalk. It took a small chip out of the heel of the stock and cracked the plate. My father was furious. He eventually cooled down and I told him I would have it repaired. So, with my grass cutting and paper route money we took it to a gunsmith who fixed the chip and installed a solid Pachmayr recoil pad on it. I think it cost me $75. Dad was very happy and so was I. :)
IMG_2966.JPG
IMG_2965.JPG
IMG_2964.JPG

Last edited:

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
Scott I have a JC Higgins double, cant say I have vintage ammo though! I also have another blast from the past that was purchased at Sears by my father I believe, its a Harrington and Richardson singe shot 12ga

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Scott I have a JC Higgins double, cant say I have vintage ammo though! I also have another blast from the past that was purchased at Sears by my father I believe, its a Harrington and Richardson singe shot 12ga
The double is probably a Savage/Stevens. Sears had contracts with all the major manufacturers.
I have a Sears Ted Williams gun catalog somewhere. I'll dig that up.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
We kids spent hours pouring over the Christmas Wish Book back in the 60's and 70's.

As a kid, I spent many a summer at an Uncle's dairy farm in upstate NY. The Sear's catalog was their shopping mall of the day. From clothes to farm equipment, it got ordered through the catalog.

Reactions: h2ochild

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
My most prized gun, mainly for sentimental reasons. It was my father's Sears J.C Higgins Model 60 semi-auto purchased from Sears in Camden in 1957. Killed my first duck with it. The gun still functions flawlessly and is built like a tank. High Standard made these for Sears. I still have a full box of Sears 00 Buck for it too.

Looks to be in fantastic condition. I have begun buying some older pieces. My favorite is the Ruger 44 carbine, bought it new and used for hunting upstate NY. Ruger also made a lever action model 96, which is next on the list. They all have a resemblance to their current 10/22. Just picked up a Red Hawk last month, so that caliber is complete. :D

I have no idea how clothes dryers relate to firearms, maybe they both need a spark to get going. ;)

Reactions: Broke Jeep Joe

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Is that the Sears catalog Scott? If so, might they have a bolt action 12ga with adjustable choke in it? It was my first scatter gun, a Christmas gift. Handed down to my brother, God knows what he did with it.