First tick of the year

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Out for my walk at noon yesterday, temperature was about 44 degrees after a night in the 20's. Noticed an itch later and found a really tiny nymph under the waistband of my pants. Could have been prevented if my shirt had been tucked in, but I really wasn't expecting ticks yet! :confused:

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
This is the beginning of the most dangerous time of year for deer ticks. Bastards!
Deer_Tick_Life_Cycle.jpg

Reactions: 46er

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
I guess I have you beat for time which is not a good thing. Near the middle of Feb on one of the days it was in the upper 40's low 50's I was exploring. On the drive home I felt a tickle on the top of my left hand, sure enough a nymph looking for a place to dig in. I know they're present year round but figured with the cold temps we've had they'd be dormant, I figured wrong.

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Was out all morning today in Bass River and there were plenty of ticks. Just found one now while typing this.

Jersey Jeff

Explorer
Jun 22, 2012
I pulled a few ticks off of my arm on the new section of the Batona Trail along an old cranberry bog on Saturday, but I was drenched in permethrin and DEET so none of them hung around long. My dog is also on medication so she emerged tick-free.

just saw this thread. Started using Sawyers last year; works. NOT on skin. I have a pair of beat up long pants treated with Sawyers product which are secured around each ankle with rubber bands. Pants hem is not in contact with skin as I wear white crew socks. Combination of treated pants and treated sneakers discourages upwardly mobile ticks.
Looks goofy but is effective.
Treated pants are not washed with other clothes to prevent permethrin on fabrics.