Calico or Dobbin's Bog

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

If you have not acquired it yet I would highly recommend that you purchase the latest edition of the SoJourn magazine. Our very own member "Oriental" (Rich Watson) has researched Calico and has written an interesting article about it titled "Calico or Dobbin's Bog." You can purchase the issue in question on Amazon at the below link.

https://www.amazon.com/SoJourn-2-2-...123784&sr=8-1&keywords=sojourn+winter+2017/18

Adding to the subject matter ..... here is some information that may interest you. If you currently have the issue of SoJourn open it to the map in the center. The Calico tract shown in the two page map displays the various parcels that were included in it over the years. There are two parcels shown that were owned by Thomas and Kenneth Morey that Manumuskin and myself explored back in 2010. While exploring there we did find the property stone that marks the northern location where their property adjoins.

IMG_4126.JPG

Over the years I have not spent as much time as I should have looking for property corners in that area, so today Jessica and I spent some time there looking for the outer corners of the Calico Tract; however, some of them I have to guess at. Today was a guess that panned out quite well. Here is another stone for the outer corners of the original Calico Tract.

calico.jpg

On page 58 of the article Rich mentions the canal was dug in 1868 to supply water to the NJ Cranberry Bogs. That property line was surveyed sometime in the 1980's and I was able to go today to the exact location my GPS pointed me to. It is right at the most NE corner of the Calico Tract where the canal curves. The survey mentioned a "point" which usually means the absence of monuments and I suspect nothing is there as I did not find anything today. There is a possibility it is just a metal rod in the ground. In any event, standing where my GPS told me to go, I have a feeling that the canal may have drifted off of the 33 foot wide tract of land it should have been on.

canal.jpg

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
On our way there today. For those of you who remember me discussing how I tend to stagger when I walk anymore, notice me as I turn back and walk to my car.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Guy, make sure you are not dehydrated during your explorations. It is very easy for that to throw you off balance via dizziness you don't otherwise notice. I speak from experience. Drink a lot of water.

Also, remember my 15 minute power naps? They help immensely too. So don't feel bad for taking a 15 minute power nap in your car. In the meantime, Jess can sit in the passenger seat and catch up on what she does best; be it knitting, or twiddling her thumbs, or grazing the internet for the latest scandals by people in entertainment.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
She is like me and does not have data. No internet for her on the phone.

It is not dehydration, it is just genetics. I will edit the video I have of my relative and see if it is acceptable to upload. His father, my grandfather, him, and now me have the same issues.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
She is like me and does not have data. No internet for her on the phone.

It is not dehydration, it is just genetics. I will edit the video I have of my relative and see if it is acceptable to upload. His father, my grandfather, him, and now me have the same issues.

I would at least mention it to your doctor. You never know what he'll find, or if some treatment came out without you or your relative even knowing about it.

https://www.prevention.com/health/balance-and-your-health

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
My mother had balance issues when she got older. But it was somehow related to circulatory problems resulting from a lifetime of heavy smoking.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My moms family also has peripheral neuropathy. My moms sister lost all control of her legs and spent the last 5 years of her life in bed.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
My balance is not nearly as good as it was when i was young.I used to have cat like balance on thin logs.I chalk mine up to the sway of my belly.After two or three swings started by minor differences in ground contours or stepping over something.By the third swing I"m usually on my knees or face.For the same reason Hula Hooping is now deadly.

Reactions: bobpbx

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Today Jessica and I traveled to the very eastern corner of the Calico tract to see if we could find the corners along the Beaver Run which included both corners of the canal. You would think the canal property would end in the center of the stream, but according to a survey of the property on the south side of Beaver Run, the canal property continues across the stream a short distance on the other side.

This survey dated 8/23/1984 shows the canal and the two survey locations.

canal_a.jpg

Those same points plotted on Google Earth in my computer. They are 33 feet apart.

33.jpg

It was extremely slow getting there today and we were shredded before we were done. Arriving there from the south side we found nothing except dense cedar. A short walk to Beaver Run and there was no evidence of where the canal entered the stream and even if there was I doubt we could even see it. It was wild in there.

IMG_1655a.jpg

It was so hard getting there we decided to take a different route back. On the upland we stumbled onto this impressive hill. I have only witnessed a few like this one in the pines.

Jessica's heart rate hit 132 BPM according to her FitBit.

IMG_1556a.jpg

Looking down.

IMG_1662a.jpg

Guy

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
Today Jessica and I traveled to the very eastern corner of the Calico tract to see if we could find the corners along the Beaver Run which included both corners of the canal. You would think the canal property would end in the center of the stream, but according to a survey of the property on the south side of Beaver Run, the canal property continues across the stream a short distance on the other side.

Guy,

While researching the property I was very interested in seeing where the canal met Beaver Run and also the point where it turned toward the cranberry company bogs. I was planning to get there soon but your description of the dense woods is discouraging me. I am sure I will still venture out but at least I know what to prepare for. Thanks for the description of those areas and thanks for the interesting images of the stones you found throughout the property. Perhaps with your knowledge we may someday be able to pinpoint the site where Abel Broom was mortally wounded!

Hope you enjoyed the article.

Rich

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy,

While researching the property I was very interested in seeing where the canal met Beaver Run and also the point where it turned toward the cranberry company bogs. I was planning to get there soon but your description of the dense woods is discouraging me. I am sure I will still venture out but at least I know what to prepare for. Thanks for the description of those areas and thanks for the interesting images of the stones you found throughout the property. Perhaps with your knowledge we may someday be able to pinpoint the site where Abel Broom was mortally wounded!

Hope you enjoyed the article.

Rich

Rich,

I did enjoy the article. I have read it numerous times.

You more than likely will be coming in from the north along the canal and I came in from the other side of Beaver Run because I was not sure if I could cross it or not. Turns out it is an easy cross. The property corner is as I mentioned actually on the south side of Beaver Run. You may have a much easier time getting at least close to Beaver Run as I crossed the area's that had been logged and it was just a wild mess of scrub oak and briers.

Guy

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I stopped by Second Time Around Bookstore in Mt. Laurel this weekend to pick up the last two issues of Sojourn, partly motivated by the Calico article. We coincidentally visited the Burlington County Prison Museum in Mt Holly, mentioned above, while in the area. If you haven't been there, I recommend it. For the first time, I paid a senior rate ($3). Painful, but appreciated. The prison is pretty much in its original condition, as abandoned, with addition of interpretive panels spread throughout the interior.

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
GermanG; I've been getting onto IBSP for free the past 10 years. Even more frightening; I don't have to purchase a NJ Freshwater Fishing License anymore. I'm just happy I can still do many things, including roaming the Pines. I always say 'I earned my dues', take the senior discounts when offered.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Spent some time at Calico again this weekend and I found this pipe which appears to be the property corner to Phebe Morey and the New Jersey Cranberry Bogs. I am still uncertain because it appears to not be at the position where my calculations put it at. And I also have some evidence that I may have found another Phebe Morey corner which seems to be more in line with where I believe it should be. More research is needed.

IMG_1688a.jpg

And Rich Watson (Oriental) also discover the well for George Ryan and today Jessica and I stumbled on it during our explorations of the area. The vegetation fills most of it up but a plunge with my walking stick sunk down quite a bit.

IMG_1602a.jpg

Guy