Those durn GPS

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
GPS has stranded and sunk a lot of people and their vehicles down in these parts. I've pulled a few out and so has my son Mike.

It doesn't seem to happen as much as it used to and I suppose mapping software has evolved to avoid choosing unimproved roads like those in Wharton as practical routes.

Reactions: Broke Jeep Joe

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
Yup. Pulled somebody out who was driving an Audi. Said they were gonna sue the state because he pays taxes & the road shoudn't be in that condition "because it's on his GPS"

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
I have pulled several people out with the same story. Best one was a Honda with 2 kids in it over by Mount long before it was a decent road! they were following their GPS to Hawkins Bridge Camp!

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Nothing like learning to read a map.I"ve been screwed so many times by my auto gps that I"ve went back to memorizing my own route and i only use the gps to get me back on track if I get pushed off my route from not being in the right lane or get pushed off on a detour.Google maps makes much better routes then my auto gps does and Tom Tom usually does me pretty well too but the gps that came in my Nissan will give it to me good any time i drop my guard.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
but the gps that came in my Nissan will give it to me good any time i drop my guard.

Check the date for those maps. If they are anything like the ones in our Jeep, they are years old. I rarely use it. The Jeeps come from Here mapping and updates cost the same as a new Garmin GPS with lifetime updates. When my youngest son was driving semi's x-country it was amazing where the trucks GPS would try to route him.

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
That's odd, I use "Here" on my phone (apple) and netbook (android) for GPS because its free.
I also like that you can save the maps by state for offline use, no cell signal required.

Reactions: Boyd

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Check the date for those maps. If they are anything like the ones in our Jeep, they are years old. I rarely use it. The Jeeps come from Here mapping and updates cost the same as a new Garmin GPS with lifetime updates. When my youngest son was driving semi's x-country it was amazing where the trucks GPS would try to route him.
Mine are at least as old as my truck which is five years.They send me a message on the gps once a year telling me I can update the map for 70 bucks.I don't know if that includes POI"s are not.We are planning to update before vacation this year.The truck is easier for me to use while driving.The Tom Tom I have to pull over and change glasses just to see it and Momma is no help because she has 0 GPS or Map savvy.she does have very good eyes though and is a big help watching for exits and A holes, I"m patrially blind in one eye and that helps.

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
There is one place that gps-aided navigation really excels, and that is using crowdsourced data to gather information on real-time traffic conditions. Waze and google maps tend to have pretty accurate travel time estimates, and all that data is a treasure trove for planners of future highways.

Gps navigation is great for placing yourself on the map sometimes while in the woods, but common sense seems to dictate that turn-by-turn navigation has no place on unimproved roads.

I use my phone map function once in a while but mostly rely on memory and my paper maps.

Reactions: manumuskin

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
There is one place that gps-aided navigation really excels, and that is using crowdsourced data to gather information on real-time traffic conditions. Waze and google maps...
Or maybe not.
http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2018/05/out-of-town_traffic_bans_are_illegal_ag_tells_traf.html
State Attorney General tells 2 NJ towns no, you can't ban out-of-towners from using your local roads. Towns say waze and google maps are directing commuters onto their local roads, causing gridlock, so they tried to make laws and put up signs banning out-of-town people from using the roads during peak traffic times. No way, says AG.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I use my phone map function once in a while but mostly rely on memory and my paper maps.

I totally agree about turn by turn navigation on unpaved roads in the forest. But I mostly use my phone/gps exactly the same as I used paper maps. The BIG difference is that it always shows your location, unlike paper maps where you had to rely on a deductive process to determine where you really were.

I have tried to make my new maps such as https://boydsmaps.com/boyds-map-of-the-pines-hd/ in the style of paper USGS topo maps, and also offer scans of real USGS maps you can use on a phone or GPS. Still have paper maps in the car but don't even remember the last time I looked at one. :)

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Now I do use the map on my built in navigation system on my truck.It's the woman talking to me that I don't listen to.But thats a common man problem anyway.Even when I do turn her on I oft5en take my own route which forces her to reroute often.She never seems to get mad at me like a normal woman would for not listening to her.I just mainly count on the woman in my dash to alert me of upcoming exits and turns when we were on the same route.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Bout sums it up

Attachments

• 31909233_2008682599400270_7905128900198400000_n.jpg
    31909233_2008682599400270_7905128900198400000_n.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 147
Reactions: 46er

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
Mine are at least as old as my truck which is five years.They send me a message on the gps once a year telling me I can update the map for 70 bucks.I don't know if that includes POI"s are not.We are planning to update before vacation this year.The truck is easier for me to use while driving.The Tom Tom I have to pull over and change glasses just to see it and Momma is no help because she has 0 GPS or Map savvy.she does have very good eyes though and is a big help watching for exits and A holes, I"m patrially blind in one eye and that helps.

Again, I don’t want to sound like I’m pushing Amazon, but I just bought this for a recent trip to Florida. It worked great, comes with lifetime updates and is less than the $70 cost of updating your old GPS.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077H5M4LF/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1