Sycamore Plantings

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Many old Burlington County homesteads had a pair of Sycamore trees planted at the entrance. What was the basis/belief for this practice? Did only Quakers do so? Why/when did the practice die out? Why only American Sycamores?

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I had a boss who planted 2 trees on the side of the entrance to his driveway back in the early 2000's, one each for him and his wife. He was not a Quaker. He was not so amused when his tree died.

T

Toothy Critter

Speaking of trees... what is this? (I know my fish, but nothing about what comes from the ground):confused:

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Speaking of trees... what is this? (I know my fish, but nothing about what comes from the ground):confused:

Is there another tree growing on the backside? I see red cedar foliage but not cedar bark on the trunk. The trunk brings a silver maple to mind.

edit: Looking again, I think I do see maple leaves at the left side of the photo. If they are from the bigger tree, it'd say it's a silver maple.

T

Toothy Critter

Is there another tree growing on the backside? I see red cedar foliage but not cedar bark on the trunk. The trunk brings a silver maple to mind.

edit: Looking again, I think I do see maple leaves at the left side of the photo. If they are from the bigger tree, it'd say it's a silver maple.

No tree behind it, just curious how it could be hollow and still have foliage (u could stand inside it) MAYBE another tree attached to it in the back??
IMG_0538.JPG
IMG_0540.JPG
IMG_0541.JPG

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Tree water and nutrients travel thru bark and immediate layer beneath bark. Rest of trunk is dead wood. Hollow cylinder nearly as strong as solid cylinder - question is, how "nearly" compared to forces on it.
But back to original questions about the practice of planting two Sycamores at the entrance to homesteads......

T

Toothy Critter

Tree water and nutrients travel thru bark and immediate layer beneath bark. Rest of trunk is dead wood. Hollow cylinder nearly as strong as solid cylinder - question is, how "nearly" compared to forces on it.
But back to original questions about the practice of planting two Sycamores at the entrance to homesteads......

U R correct. Intruding on the original post. Will move