Mobile Atlas Creator update available

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Just had a quick look at MOBAC 2.1.0 which was recently released.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mobac/files/Mobile Atlas Creator/MOBAC 2.0/Mobile Atlas Creator 2.1.0.zip/download

The biggest attraction here is that they have removed all the built-in mapsources that don't work and replaced them with some nice new ones, including the following.

USGS National Map Relief
USGS National Map Satellite
USGS National Map Satellite & Topo
USGS National Map Topo

This version is also supposed to be compatible with Java 9, but I have not tested that myself.

Unfortunately, they have not fixed the issue with the Macintosh version not saving your map choice and location when you quit. So every time you start the program you see the map of the whole world.

You can install multiple versions of MOBAC if you want to try this out. Just leave your old version installed while you test the new one. Of course, you would need to move any of my maps to the proper folders in the new version if you want to use them. These would be the files in the MOBAC and mapsources folders that start with "boydmap".

Let me know if you try the new version. Would be especially interested to know if it works properly with Java 9. I will eventually update my tutorial, but that will have to wait for awhile. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Got it to open,just had to reboot the computer.It gets like that occasionally.Put all the files where they belong and it works great.Is that the only changes is getting rid of sources that don't work? I still have USGS sources showing on here that just give me Red X"s.Can't get it to open again to see what ones so gonna have to reboot again.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Okay everything USGS National Map just gives me Red X"s. I assume the servers are down but if I remember right they never worked on the 2.0 version. so i have topo maps and aerials for NJ but not the rest of the country but I do have topos for all of Canada! I also have nautical and aerial Charts. I use SAS Download for Topos of the country and they also have Bing Aerials and Arc GIS Aerials of the country Would be nice to have the same on MOBAC as well but for Jersey with NJGIN and Boyds 1999 and parcels maps MOBAC rocks in Jersey!

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
That's odd. All the USGS map layers have worked fine for me all day and they are quite fast right now on both my Mac and PC. There is no need to un-install the old versions, I have three different versions on my PC and two on my Mac and everything works fine.

Here's lookin' at ya! :D

nationalmap.png

It almost sounds like you are still using the old USGS maps that don't work from the old version of MOBAC. Are the USGS mapsource names the same as the ones in my screenshot?

I have spent the last few days working full time to get my new NJGIN map package ready for its official launch. As usual, writing the documentation and building the web pages is one of the most time-consuming parts of the project. The documentation is over 30 pages!

The webpages are already up but the download links are not yet available. With a little luck they'll go live sometime this weekend! :guinness:https://boydsmaps.com/njgin-map-access/

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Is that the only changes is getting rid of sources that don't work?

I think a major change is Java 9 compatibility. The old version of MOBAC just crashed under Java 9. I am using the new version with Java 8 but eventually I will test it with 9 and then update my tutorials accordingly. I'm just glad that somebody is still working on MOBAC, I was afraid it had been abandoned!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have it working. The bookmark issue is a pain. I figured it out the last time but will have to remember again how to do it. I can't get your files to work though.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
That's strange. Everything works exactly the same for me under MacOS Sierra and Windows 7. The Mac issue is the same as before, it doesn't remember your last view when you start the program. To save a bookmark, choose a map then zoom/drag wherever you want. Choose Bookmarks > Save Current View and enter a name. Now choose Tools > Settings and just click the OK button (you don't need to change any settings). This forces the bookmark to be saved. Now quit and the next time you open MOBAC you will find the location you saved under the Bookmarks menu.

This is exactly the same as before, and it is also covered in the tutorial I wrote before. When experiencing problems, read my tutorial first - I have already made all the mistakes, so you don't have to! :)

This bug only affects the Mac version, none of this is needed with the PC version.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
That's odd. All the USGS map layers have worked fine for me all day and they are quite fast right now on both my Mac and PC. There is no need to un-install the old versions, I have three different versions on my PC and two on my Mac and everything works fine.

Here's lookin' at ya! :D

View attachment 10854

It almost sounds like you are still using the old USGS maps that don't work from the old version of MOBAC. Are the USGS mapsource names the same as the ones in my screenshot?

I have spent the last few days working full time to get my new NJGIN map package ready for its official launch. As usual, writing the documentation and building the web pages is one of the most time-consuming parts of the project. The documentation is over 30 pages!

The webpages are already up but the download links are not yet available. With a little luck they'll go live sometime this weekend! :guinness:https://boydsmaps.com/njgin-map-access/
You have my house on there:) Good pic. and some of the names are different.Don't know how i would get the old mapsources mixed up in the new version? I"ll see if i can fix it

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Okay Boyd I checked my mapsources folders and the four folders from national map were dated feb 2017 so I deleted those and redownloaded the program and took the folders out of that that were dated july 2018 and put them in the mapsources folder that i downloaded yesterday and everything works.Have no idea how the old files ended up in the new program but it was probably me.

Reactions: Boyd