4-Mile Mushrooms

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
Yesterday morning, I took a walk along a stretch of the Bisphams Mill Creek in the 4-Mile area of the Pines. Weather wise, I've couldn't have picked a better day. A good variety of mushrooms/fungus were present in the area.

Lichen, but it doesn't seem to be the one that I often see with a 3-tier horn type structure.
IMG_5744.JPG

I believe is Leocarpus fragilis
IMG_5795.JPG

A type of carol fungus
IMG_5750.JPG

I believe is Strobilomyces strobilaceus (Old Man in the Woods)
IMG_5785.JPG

IMG_5755.JPG

IMG_5761.JPG

IMG_5770.JPG

IMG_5774.JPG

IMG_5782.JPG

IMG_5792.JPG

T

Toothy Critter

I met a couple at Franklin Parker last fall who said they were researching mushrooms in the area. They said they had found 750 species already and still counting. Just in FPP alone. How the heck do you know whats good to eat? I asked were there any "magic" ones, that I was interested in some "research" myself :rolleyes:

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Not to taint Rooftrees excellent thread, but what the heck. During winter break of 1973, two friends and myself visited a high school buddy who was attending University of Florida. He was renting a broken down old shack off campus. We waited a few minutes on the front step and Bob showed up smiling, with a dirty brown paper bag. Said the guys he bought it from sneak into the farmers cow pasture and pick the mushrooms off the dung. We went inside and over the next few hours he cooked up the mushrooms, threw them away and mixed the boiled water with orange juice and asked us if we wanted a glass of "moon juice". I declined, but my friends did. My friend Tommy was an experienced astral traveler, and he drank 10 glasses, a decision he later regretted. Sorry Rooftree, beautiful shots!

Reactions: Toothy Critter
T

Toothy Critter

Not to taint Rooftrees excellent thread, but what the heck. During winter break of 1973, two friends and myself visited a high school buddy who was attending University of Florida. He was renting a broken down old shack off campus. We waited a few minutes on the front step and Bob showed up smiling, with a dirty brown paper bag. Said the guys he bought it from sneak into the farmers cow pasture and pick the mushrooms off the dung. We went inside and over the next few hours he cooked up the mushrooms, threw them away and mixed the boiled water with orange juice and asked us if we wanted a glass of "moon juice". I declined, but my friends did. My friend Tommy was an experienced astral traveler, and he drank 10 glasses, a decision he later regretted. Sorry Rooftree, beautiful shots!

Geez, didn't your friend know your only supposed to drink 9 ?

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
That is old man of the woods and thats the best wild shroom I"ve ever eaten.Cooked up a few with a bunch of chanterelles.the Chanterelles were slimy but Old man was nice and firm,a first rate shroom.It's a Bolete

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
Al; I only found one of the Old Man in the Woods. However, the coral fungi was quite plentiful. I take a guess it is Clavulina cristata (Cockscomb Coral) since it turns dirty white or greyish in ageing. It appeared to be that way. (This is from my mushroom guide)

Picture below is a small coral fungus.
IMG_5751.JPG

T

Toothy Critter

That is old man of the woods and thats the best wild shroom I"ve ever eaten.Cooked up a few with a bunch of chanterelles.the Chanterelles were slimy but Old man was nice and firm,a first rate shroom.It's a Bolete

Please forgive my ignorance, but I was always under the impression that the term "shrooms" was reserved for those with hallucinogenic properties. You refer to Old Man with that term.....is it?:)

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Al; I only found one of the Old Man in the Woods. However, the coral fungi was quite plentiful. I take a guess it is Clavulina cristata (Cockscomb Coral) since it turns dirty white or greyish in ageing. It appeared to be that way. (This is from my mushroom guide)
Yes that is a coral fungus.species not sure about.I would have to show to my friend to ID the species.

Picture below is a small coral fungus.
View attachment 10954

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I'd like to try the psilocybin mushrooms someday (under supervision). I read a lot of good things about those trips and the aftermath.