First Beach

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
A member of this site informed me on Thursday that First Beach on Quaker Bridge Road had just been blocked. I don't have a problem with this and think it was a good move. I know for a fact Open Trails had offered to help do this in the past but it appears they were passed over and I have been told the PPA was involved.

We checked it out this morning.

IMG_2208a.jpg
IMG_2210a.jpg

trop81

Scout
Mar 17, 2011
hammonton nj
I noticed the wooden barricades on Friday. I also think its a good move. It's just going to take me a little time to get use to it .

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
I support this closure also, however if the OTNJ or any other organization other than the PPA was not contacted to support the project that could be an issue we do not want. If there were groups contacted and they declined, that is a different story all together.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I support this closure also, however if the OTNJ or any other organization other than the PPA was not contacted to support the project that could be an issue we do not want. If there were groups contacted and they declined, that is a different story all together.

I had the same concern and that is why I wrote that. I don't know enough information to be certain what went on.

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
I had the same concern and that is why I wrote that. I don't know enough information to be certain what went on.

I spoke to someone today that is heavily involved with the NJOA and the Sportsmen s Federation and judging from that person's reaction, neither of those 2 stakeholder groups were aware of this project.

Reactions: Piney4life

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was told that the PPA put out the call for volunteers for a project and soon after First Beach was blocked. Then another member told me they were involved. That is the extent of what I know.

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
We do need to protect the pines but we also need to protect them from the PPA. Especially our use of them without their interference.

Couldn't agree more, Guy. I feel, after being involved with several "stakeholder" groups, other than the hunting community and unfortunately the PPA, there is a serious lack of commitment and organization. I do understand everyone now days has an extremely busy schedule, but I feel there needs to be more proactive action than the reactive action we see over and over. Not sure how to accomplish it, but that is my thought. Also, I am as guilty as anyone in the lack of org, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: MuckSavage

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
We do need to protect the pines but we also need to protect them from the PPA. Especially our use of them without their interference.

Agree, but the powers that be may not see it that way. I've tried to find how much the PPA contributed in the past Governor's race to see how much pay-back they might be expecting, but have not found anything yet.

popeofthepines

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Atco
For those who may have wondered if the old superintendent was behind this, you were correct! Looks like we may be headed down a familiar road, unfortunately.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181001-231302.png
    Screenshot_20181001-231302.png
    861 KB · Views: 189

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They are closing off specific area's as many of us suggested so we can't fault him for that.

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
Hey all,

I can speak for OTNJ on this. We actually advocated for this project probably going back two years. I inquired about it again in the spring and was told that something was already in the works and we could look to do something else. So we knew something was happening but not with whom. In all fairness, as we found with other projects, having more volunteers is not necessarily more efficient. So, I don’t see anything particularly nefarious associated with this project, but we are, and will be, ever vigilant and we will call on this group again if we need volunteer support or if a fight is brewing.

popeofthepines

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Atco
Hey all,

I can speak for OTNJ on this. We actually advocated for this project probably going back two years. I inquired about it again in the spring and was told that something was already in the works and we could look to do something else. So we knew something was happening but not with whom. In all fairness, as we found with other projects, having more volunteers is not necessarily more efficient. So, I don’t see anything particularly nefarious associated with this project, but we are, and will be, ever vigilant and we will call on this group again if we need volunteer support or if a fight is brewing.

Thanks for letting us know