McCambridge

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jim,

There is a member on this site who posted some of that info a while back. I was searching all of them out when I ran into you at the Reevestown Cemetery. I visited many in that area and photographed them all. I was interested because of they are related to John Bowers who managed Howardsville and Sim Place.

Here is the post where she gave the info. This will go directly to her post in the thread and not start at the first post.

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/showthread.php?p=38270#post38270

Guy

sjbowers

Apr 25, 2017
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Jim,

There is a member on this site who posted some of that info a while back. I was searching all of them out when I ran into you at the Reevestown Cemetery. I visited many in that area and photographed them all. I was interested because of they are related to John Bowers who managed Howardsville and Sim Place.

Here is the post where she gave the info. This will go directly to her post in the thread and not start at the first post.

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/showthread.php?p=38270#post38270

Guy
Hi Guy,
I know this post is from a decade ago, however I was just curious if you ever came upon pitcures/info in regards to John Bowers. I know he is listed in the census and I have read carolyns post, but I can't find any documents in regards to him actually managing either Sims or Howardsville. I have found John living at Cedar Bridge Tavern and the info being documented on the historical papers, but that's about it. Anymore info would be greatly appreciated .
Thanks,
Shannon Bowers
(John is my 3rd gr. grandfather)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Hi Guy,
I know this post is from a decade ago, however I was just curious if you ever came upon pitcures/info in regards to John Bowers. I know he is listed in the census and I have read carolyns post, but I can't find any documents in regards to him actually managing either Sims or Howardsville. I have found John living at Cedar Bridge Tavern and the info being documented on the historical papers, but that's about it. Anymore info would be greatly appreciated .
Thanks,
Shannon Bowers
(John is my 3rd gr. grandfather)

Hello Shannon,

15 years is a long time. I will have to refresh my memory on all of this.

sjbowers

Apr 25, 2017
Hello Shannon,

15 years is a long time. I will have to refresh my memory on all of this.
I know I'm sorry. I have only started working on my genealogy 2 years ago. But I am fascinated with my Bowers side .Unfortunately tho that side was never one for talking, nor pitcure taking. I couldn't speculate as to why, but I myself am so proud to say my 3rd gr grandfather from Germany came over and managed 1 of the cranberry farms that's started the cranberry business. I look at many websites in regards to the starting of the boys and there is never any mention of John, only of the owners. (Which is understandable) But I would think if he was in the area for over 50 years, I would find something. I thought woodland historical society would have something, but nothing. So I'm stuck and basically going by word of mouth. So again any info or lead would be greatly appreciated!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Shannon,

Do you know John Bowers middle name or initial?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have photos of many of the Corlis family but nothing of John Bowers. They would be from the Catherine Bowers family I believe.

sjbowers

Apr 25, 2017
I do not know his middle name. Husband of Catherine Widersmuth...15 children. He is buried in Reevestown cem. Have not visited yet. Unless you are talking about Catherine Bowers his daughter, married to Richard "Edward" Corliss. Which is a whole other mystery to me. She was married to him and than he disappears for like 30 years to the Trenton State Hospital. (Inmate...crazy?) I would love to see those pictures if possible. I can give you an email. They would have been my 3rd great aunt and uncle.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
He is in Reevestown as you say right along the road. However, when I was there years ago someone had damaged his stone. I will have to go back when in the area and see if it is fixed.

BTW, I personally know a relative of Catherine.

Johns Grave.

Reevestown Cemeterya.jpg

sjbowers

Apr 25, 2017
Thank you for the image of the cemetery and his stone. It saddens me it has been damaged. I plan on making my own trip to visit the cemetery, hopefully soon. I did swing through to visit the Woodlawn Cemetery in august. Which is a whole story in it's self. Actually hysterical but dont want to waste your time. I was so excited to see how well preserved and taken care of the place was. I was thinking of taking one of those history tours, but the more research I come upon it seems almost pointless for me. Since all of the areas I would want to see are off limits. I just want to thank you for this incredible website. I really enjoy all the information. Although I have asked about Bowers, I am related to so many other people you and others have written about. (Rittzendollar, Wiseman, Giberson, Wildermuth) I love the forum, and all the interesting places you explore. I have no idea what those marker things, survey blocks, but fun following the search. Thanks again.
Many blessings,
Shannon

Reactions: Boyd