Searching on the West Side

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
I have been roaming the Pines for the past ten years. Even though I've traveled to the deepest parts, I've done very little exploring on the west side of RT 206, south of Atsion Lake. For the past month, I spent much time there searching out numerous spungs and areas showing remnants of past forest fires. Here's some photos I took along the way.

IMG_6255.JPG

IMG_6352.JPG

IMG_6364.JPG

IMG_6525.JPG

IMG_6545.JPG

IMG_6562.JPG

IMG_6626.JPG

IMG_6668.JPG

IMG_6671.JPG

IMG_6688.JPG

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
That's one of my favorite areas, and most accessible to me since I live near Philly. When I have some free time I'd like to go find the tri-county stone (The picture displayed under teegate's username). Have you ever entered the woods from Atco, via Maple Island Road?

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
This is new territory for me. I haven't been on Maple Island Rd. I drive a 4-door sedan. I have no problem driving up Sandy Causeway from Chew Rd to Maple Island. I hear it gets more sandy north of that. They are currently re-grading the roads in this area. They did Sandy Causeway from Chew Rd to Fleming Pike where it comes in on the left. They also did all of Fleming from that point back to Chew. I was there on Tuesday and they had done some of Burnt Mill Rd and I saw a road grader going up the road that morning. I spoke with the driver. He said they were just tidying things up.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I also hadn't done a lot of exploring on the west side because I considered it too close to syphilisation but last year I changed my mind and checked the area out pretty well.It's a very nice piece of woods.A few more cycle yahoos then the deeper woods but still very nice woods.Lot of low woods and spungs like the east side just across 206 but a bit more accessible.

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
Sandy Causeway is indeed very true to its name for about 1/2 mile, beginning at the old railroad grade (Raritan Ave) and heading south. I just gun it and try not to stop. 4wd not necessary but I wouldn't try to drive a little car through there.

This is new territory for me. I haven't been on Maple Island Rd. I drive a 4-door sedan. I have no problem driving up Sandy Causeway from Chew Rd to Maple Island. I hear it gets more sandy north of that. They are currently re-grading the roads in this area. They did Sandy Causeway from Chew Rd to Fleming Pike where it comes in on the left. They also did all of Fleming from that point back to Chew. I was there on Tuesday and they had done some of Burnt Mill Rd and I saw a road grader going up the road that morning. I spoke with the driver. He said they were just tidying things up.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jessicaa.jpg
When I have some free time I'd like to go find the tri-county stone (The picture displayed under teegate's username). Have you ever entered the woods from Atco, via Maple Island Road?

That is not an easy endeavor so be prepared for briers. Take a look at Jessica's face after we arrived.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes. It was tough going. However, in more recent years there was a fire there so maybe it cleared it up somewhat.

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
It looks like it's about a quarter mile east from fleming pike/parkdale road. I know you can't access that road from the Lake Atsion parking, but is it reasonably passable north from sandy causeway at the rr crossing? Haven't ever tried. If all else fails I'll just park at Atsion and hike the half mile or so.