Red Foxes

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I saw a grey fox a few days ago run across East Ave just about 50 yards south of the Bridgeton Line in Fairfield twp and from property my job owns and onto someone elses property.Just along the little swamp behind my job.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I saw a grey fox a few days ago run across East Ave just about 50 yards south of the Bridgeton Line in Fairfield twp and from property my job owns and onto someone elses property.Just along the little swamp behind my job.

As much as I go in the pines, I have maybe seen one. They are more active at night I think. I've only seen 2 flying squirrels.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
As much as I go in the pines, I have maybe seen one. They are more active at night I think. I've only seen 2 flying squirrels.
I had a grey fox approach to within ten feet of me one dusk in Menantico Swamp north of 49.I was camouflaged and sitting next to a deer trail hoping to touch a deer.A feat I never accomplished except when My dog run a fawn into my leg once and I caught it.The fox did not see me but it stopped on the trail heading past me about 50 ft to the creek.It started sniffing the air and looking in my direction though I could tell it wasn't looking at me.After about a minute it turned and walked back up the trail.It obviously smelled me.
As to flying squirrels I"ve only seen one in the woods.This was at Menantico WMA.. It was broad day light and in a mixed pine oak upland forest. I was walking cross country though quite open and suddenly a squirriel jumped out of an oak tree about 30 ft up and glided down to land about 50 ft in front of me and it landed beside of another oak tree. I ran over to check it out but when I got there it was gone.There was no brush to hide in at all.I peeked around the back of the tree and there was a hole in the base and apparently the tree was hollow. I wonder if knew that hollow was there or just lucked out? I doubt it was luck.

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I have seen a number of foxes over the years. Will always remember a day about 15 years ago in Lebanon (Byrne) when I saw two babies (are they called "kits"?) playing right in the trail. I got within about 10 or 15 feet, then I yelled to scare them away, hoping that would help them understand they should be afraid of people. :)

I don't think I ever saw a flying squirrel - but maybe I just didn't recognize them? When I first moved to my house off Atsion Rd in Medford, the previous owner sent me a very nice letter about their fond memories of watching the flying squirrels while sitting on the deck.

Reactions: manumuskin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I saw a flying squirrel after talking with a friend of mine who lived on Nyoda trail in Tabernacle. I was on his step talking with him through the door and the squirrel took off from the roof of the house and flew right over my head to a branch of a tree behind me.

Reactions: manumuskin and Boyd
I once tracked a red fox in the snow near the Tuckahoe Etna Furnace. As soon as I felt like I was close, the fox came running up behind me, made sure I saw him, and ran away. They really are jokesters. I've never seen a flying squirrel, but when I was in the NW corner of Connecticut this summer, I saw a doe run across the front lawn and right on her trail was a bobcat. Looked like a muscular house cat with almost no tail.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I saw a flying squirrel after talking with a friend of mine who lived on Nyoda trail in Tabernacle. I was on his step talking with him through the door and the squirrel took off from the roof of the house and flew right over my head to a branch of a tree behind me.
My buddy's old farmhouse in Atco was infested with them this past spring. They trapped a few and sealed suspect openings in eaves and gables and they eventually disappeared on their own.

T

Toothy Critter

I once tracked a red fox in the snow near the Tuckahoe Etna Furnace. As soon as I felt like I was close, the fox came running up behind me, made sure I saw him, and ran away. They really are jokesters. .

They will steal your fish right out from under your nose at IBSP Have to bury them

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Please elaborate.

I think I've mentioned this before; I was cleaning out the end of season bird nesting boxes, on a ladder up against the tree. Went to unlatch the roof latch and this hairy 'thing' jumped out of the box, onto my hand, ran up my arm and launched off my shoulder. After I got up and took the ladder off of me, I noticed it sitting on a nearby pine tree and then it headed up, up and away. I now beat nest box's with a broom handle before setting foot on the ladder. They are vicious, beady eyed, flying, hairy devils. Have heard snakes like using nest boxes as well; eggs for breakfast and a nice warm spot for a nap.

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I had a grey squirrel run up my arm and launch off my shoulder onto a tree after i reached in a trash can and flipped a pizza box over I saw it crawl under.I meant to scare the bejabbers out of the squirrel but instead we scared the bejabbers out of each other.My Dad shot one once and then stepped on it with his hunting boots on to make sure it was dead and it did a sit up and sunl it;s teeth right through his boot so thats what i was thinking of as it ran up my arm.I was waiting for an ear piercing that fortunately i never got.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Your dad got bit because he had the squirrel trapped under his boot. You and 46'er didn't have the squirrel trapped where it still had an avenue of escape which is really all the squirrel wanted. Debatable, good thing squirrels aren't revengeful. LOL

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Your dad got bit because he had the squirrel trapped under his boot. You and 46'er didn't have the squirrel trapped where it still had an avenue of escape which is really all the squirrel wanted. Debatable, good thing squirrels aren't revengeful. LOL

Yes but you don't think of that when an animated weed wacker is running up your arm.Besides I have been told several times I"m nuts.That was also running through my head.