Forked River Mountain Hike

clam_digger

Dec 7, 2015
Barnegat Bay Island
Is there any route for a decent hike to the Forked River mountains that's not too lengthy? I've driven up to the top with the frmc after a clean-up, but I was looking for a good hike to the top this time around.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The dirt road to the mountain runs SW of Lacey Road, and is 800 feet NW of Carriage Road.

upload_2019-1-14_11-3-56.png

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeBickerson

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Note: I'm not crazy for suggesting a hiker take the sand roads in to the mountain. The surrounding terrain in the lowlands is somewhat similar to the pine plains, with stunted trees, but even more impenetrable. Bushwhacking would be strenuous and frustrating. Believe me.

clam_digger

Dec 7, 2015
Barnegat Bay Island
Ok great, thanks for the map. Is there anyway to get there from the south via the wells mills corridor for forked river mountain wma? I was thinking there may be a spot on the edge of one of those where I could drive to and do the rest on foot. This is based on google maps though and I know they aren't always accurate.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Ok great, thanks for the map. Is there anyway to get there from the south via the wells mills corridor for forked river mountain wma? I was thinking there may be a spot on the edge of one of those where I could drive to and do the rest on foot. This is based on google maps though and I know they aren't always accurate.

Sure, there are many ways to get there, but that begs several questions:

Do you have a vehicle that will be okay on those roads in order to get to your jumping off spot?
Do you want to bushwhack with a GPS or do you want to walk the sand roads?
How many miles do you want to walk to get there?

Reactions: Boyd

clam_digger

Dec 7, 2015
Barnegat Bay Island
We would take cars/trucks with four wheel drive but nothing too crazy.
I assumed that there isn't a straightforward hiking path that leads you to the top of the mountains. After looking over the maps and searching the forums I was ready to accept that it was either walking the sand roads or bushwhacking but I just wanted to make sure. Makes perfect sense since the area is not a developed park.
Thanks for all of your input, its greatly appreciated.

Reactions: bobpbx