The one that got away

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
On the Cohansey River yesterday, at a location previously discussed. Could have been a great shot, but I forgot my 500mm lens which may have made a difference for this shot. I used 1/100 of the pixels in my camera due to the long distance (over 100 yards) and my 300mm lens. I brought a pen knife to a machete fight.
2019-02-07_eagles.jpg

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Last Saturday was the Cumberland County Eagle Festival, an event held annually in February. Might want to mark it on your calendar for next year. And get a bazooka, you will need it. Nikon has 2 relatively reasonably priced ones now on the market, or go used for the best

https://www.facebook.com/pg/wintereaglefest/posts/?ref=page_internal

or

for this winter make the trip to the Delaware, just north of Port Jervis. There are 2 blinds maintained along the reservoir. Very good views there and fairly close.

https://delawarehighlands.org/eagles/

A juvenile

132224688.jpg

From my backyard in 2013;

153645321.jpg

Last edited:

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
And get a bazooka, you will need it.
I went back yesterday with my 200-500mm and got this butt shot. They spook so easily I think you have to be in a hide with camo waiting for hours and hope they land close enough. Set my camera to shutter priority 1600, auto ISO, 500mm, quietly opened the door opposite the bird, rested the lens on the roof, focused, recomposed, and he was already leaving. Around 100 yards or so. Wildlife photography is hard work and time consuming.
2019-02-08_baldie.jpg

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
They spook so easily

The term 'eagle eye' says it all. The Delaware is a very good spot, definitely worth the trip if your looking for good eagle shots. The numbers are very high during winter. Your vehicle makes a good blind from the roads around the river and reservoirs up there, and the blinds they have are large and have been there for years, so the birds are accustomed to them. Besides Conowingo Dam in MD, this is probably the best site around here and unlike the dam, the area is all natural.

eagle_institute_blind-map.jpg

Last edited: