KeyHero

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
This is a very clever idea.... wonder how well it actually works? Anybody try it? I suppose it also opens up the possibility of a hacker getting your keys though. ;)

https://www.mykeyhero.com

"KeyHero makes it easy to create a digital backup for your key. Just scan your key at any Home Depot Key Center and save it to the KeyHero app. Then if you’ve lost your key or just need a spare, you can cut one without needing the original. You can also share your digital key with someone, so they can cut a spare."

T

Toothy Critter

IDK. So hiding a key somewhere don't work any more?. Video shows the guy going down to the hardware store to get another key made...ummmm...why not have one hidden in the car already? Save the trip :)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I carried a big ring full of keys with a dog-clip attached to my belt for most of my professional life. Retired 7 years ago and only have my house key and padlock for the shed (which hasn't been locked for years). But old habits die hard.... I still have the big ring and dog clip for those two keys. It's just a reflexive action to feel that dog clip and know that I haven't forgotten my keys. Locked myself out a few years ago, took about 10 minutes to get into the house anyway but I have a spare key in the car now.

Anyway, I can see the value of this kind of service if you're someone that needs a lot of keys for your job, or multiple properties, etc. Could also be handy when you need to give a new employee some keys.

Reactions: Toothy Critter
T

Toothy Critter

Anyway, I can see the value of this kind of service if you're someone that needs a lot of keys for your job, or multiple properties, etc. Could also be handy when you need to give a new employee some keys.

Good point

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
We replaced the house door locks with combination locks and the Jeep doesn't use a key, except to unlock the door if the fob battery dies. No key for the ignition.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Yeah, all newer cars are like that. For no apparent reason, my old car would just refuse to open sometimes. Did not happen very often, but it had to be a fault in the car system because neither key would open it, even with fresh batteries. Had to use the emergency lock (you popped off a plastic cover to access it) once. Then later realized that the remote would eventually work, if you just kept trying long enough.

My new car has push-button start and I like that even less. Seems to be a solution in search of a problem. And it is supposed to unlock when you touch the door handle if you’ve got the key in your pocket. That stopped working a few weeks ago on the driver’s side. Haven’t bothered to get it fixed, don’t think it’s under warranty anymore. Anyway, I’d be happy to go back to old fashioned mechanical locks on the car.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Ours has a similar system, includes remote start which turns on the seat heaters, defrosters and cabin heat when air temp in 40f or less. Not unlocking occasionally is a sign the fob battery needs replacing on ours. 5 Years and no problems with it or the vehicle, most reliable we have owned. Got lucky with this one, but the GPS sucks. ;) V6, 2 1/2 tons and avg 21.7 mpg over the last 50,557 miles, the best being 28.5 mpg :D