A pocket knife saves the day...

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
He was very lucky he only got some puncture wounds and nightmare memories. A photographer, Jim Cole, who I met a few times in Yellowstone, was mauled twice, once in Glacier NP and the last time in 2007 in Yellowstone. He sometimes pushed the envelope with wildlife and the last time almost cost him his life. Got badly clawed over, lost one eye and then walked out 5 miles to the road where tourists helped until medic's arrived. He wrote a book about it and was also a staunch advocate for the bears. He passed on 3 years later of natural causes, 3 days before a fatal mauling in Yellowstone.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I have to chuckle the way the NPS reports on bear/human events by giving odds. Not sure if they are trying to minimize folks fears or not, but I'm leaning on the 'trying' side.

There are a couple of good books on the topic, as well as one that covers all deaths in the park written by Lee H. Whittlesey, the park historian.

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
NJ couple attacked in tent in Canada by wolf.

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
Interesting. I've always wondered if people surviving something like that gain courage, or are they haunted by it.
I think it all depends on how you're made Bob, in my opinion some folks would shrug it off as a one time thing that randomly happened and some may be taken to the extreme end of comprehension by something like that.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I"ve read Hugh Glass's story and on vacation in a couple weeks I may be stopping at the attack spot which is now actually just barely off the shore of a man made lake.they say th hole that was dug to bury him in was still visible till they flooded it

Reactions: 46er