Hikes like Tom's Pond Trail

JOstrofsky

Jul 11, 2017
Folsom, NJ
Just walked Tom's Pond Trail at Batsto for the first time and absolutely loved it. I like how the trail hugged the river and took you through the swamp where you get continuous views of the wetlands.

I wished it were longer, though! Does anyone know of other trails that are similar to this one? One where the trail hugs a river/stream/pond/swamp for a large section/portion of the hike?

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
Batona from Batsto to Quaker Bridge or on to Lower Forge. Or Batsto River Road, on the west side of the same. Mullica River Road between Quaker Bridge Rd and Constable Bridge. Each of these is a half day (6-8 mile) hike.

Reactions: MuckSavage

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Just walked Tom's Pond Trail at Batsto for the first time and absolutely loved it. I like how the trail hugged the river and took you through the swamp where you get continuous views of the wetlands.

I wished it were longer, though! Does anyone know of other trails that are similar to this one? One where the trail hugs a river/stream/pond/swamp for a large section/portion of the hike?

Try the Mullica River Wilderness Trail, which is adjacent to Tom's Pond Trail (it's the yellow trail on the Wharton Map). Starting from Batsto Village, it hugs the river for a good stretch. It's a really nice hike, and from Batsto to the first campground is probably a 3-4 mile hike one way.

Double Trouble State Park has some nice walks around old cranberry bogs, as does the Franklin Parker Preserve and parts of Brendan Byrne SF. Not sure if abandoned cranberry bogs interest you, but you can often find some great flora/fauna there. Some parts of the FPP are downright stunning.