Status
Not open for further replies.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Was just looking at the statistics on the state's website at https://covid19.nj.gov. There's quite a range of positive test results in South Jersey. Some of this must be related to the population of each county, its distance from New York City and the availability of tests. But the Ocean County number sure stands out.

Ocean County: 874 Positive Test Result(s)
Camden County: 200 Positive Test Result(s)
Burlington County: 178 Positive Test Result(s)
Gloucester County: 89 Positive Test Result(s)
Atlantic County: 29 Positive Test Result(s)
Cumberland County: 12 Positive Test Result(s)
Cape May County: 9 Positive Test Result(s)
Salem County: 3 Positive Test Result(s)

Was just looking at the statistics on the state's website at https://covid19.nj.gov. There's quite a range of positive test results in South Jersey. Some of this must be related to the population of each county, its distance from New York City and the availability of tests. But the Ocean County number sure stands out.

Ocean County: 874 Positive Test Result(s)
Camden County: 200 Positive Test Result(s)
Burlington County: 178 Positive Test Result(s)
Gloucester County: 89 Positive Test Result(s)
Atlantic County: 29 Positive Test Result(s)
Cumberland County: 12 Positive Test Result(s)
Cape May County: 9 Positive Test Result(s)
Salem County: 3 Positive Test Result(s)

Very sparse population here, most not affluent enough to have 2nd home or distant vacations. Few kids from here with $ to party on spring break beaches. Rich folks from NY and PA and north NJ have places at the shore. A few own tracts in Greenwich. I saw an SUV with NY plates at the local Walmart 3days ago.

Eventually, the virus will get here (15 miles away from Millville & Vineland).
For now, it's good to live in the boonies.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Until an area gets more testing in place you just don't know. As testing sites came online the numbers made dramatic jumps. Toms River just opened one at Ocean County College yesterday; watch the numbers for that area. The commuter area's are prime for high numbers, no surprise, and that's where more test sites are opening. Philly is another big area of concern for the southern part of the state. What concerns me is that Nebraska study.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Governor has clarified some stuff;

From NJ TV

"Murphy has issued additional clarifications to Executive Order 107, pertaining to which businesses are allowed to operate:
  • In a reversal, New Jersey will now allow firearms businesses to operate in light of new federal guidance that identifies them as “critical infrastructure.”
  • Auto dealerships are allowed to operate remotely or online, and authorized dealers can deliver directly to customers and allow customer pick-up.
  • Realtors may show homes to individuals one on one or to members of the same household. Open houses remain prohibited.
  • Breweries and brew pubs are allowed home delivery.
  • Golf courses must stay closed."

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Some reasons being aired as to why the high numbers for NY & NJ.

They didn't mention drug dealers but should have. They got a guy in the woods next to the power plant with 100 bags on him. That junk flows up and down the coast line.

I was going to go to the Ocean County dump today. I replaced two toilets in the house and have some rotted lumber. I called them to see if they were open. The guy said yes, they are, but he reminded me that the Gov signed an order to stay home unless it's essential to go out. He didn't tell me to dissuade me from coming, just reminding me. I thought about it, and decided to not go. Talking to the guy reminded me that I would be putting him at risk needlessly.

Reactions: MuckSavage

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
They didn't mention drug dealers but should have. They got a guy in the woods next to the power plant with 100 bags on him. That junk flows up and down the coast line.

I was going to go to the Ocean County dump today. I replaced two toilets in the house and have some rotted lumber. I called them to see if they were open. The guy said yes, they are, but he reminded me that the Gov signed an order to stay home unless it's essential to go out. He didn't tell me to dissuade me from coming, just reminding me. I thought about it, and decided to not go. Talking to the guy reminded me that I would be putting him at risk needlessly.

Your last sentence is the most important message in all of this. The folks complaining about their lost freedoms and some imaginary grab for power seem oblivious to the fact that these measures are not just about protecting them. They are to protect others they may come in contact with. My wife is a full-time hospital nurse. The sooner we can get past this, by whatever means it takes, the sooner I will resume sleeping at night.

It is not just Lakewood.

Here in the real south jersey, people mostly compliant. Millville Target today (where I went to get dogfood, groceries for me & neighbor) was mostly deserted. They have an employee wiping down the shopping carts as well as wipes you can use yourself.

The WaWa on Rt 49 in Millville has closed off their second entrance and used traffic cones to keep people in line for registers. They have put 3-sided plexiglass enclosures around each cashier, with a small opening at the bottom through which you pay. The cashier wore gloves and said she was glad of the barrier.

Shoprite has installed similar, the Bridgeton post office has plastic curtains in front of each clerk from ceiling to counter top (repurposed shower curtains; smart!).

All this seems to me to have had a sobering effect: no crowding, and twice as many people wearing gloves and face masks as I saw on my previous more local grocery trip last Thursday. Some bandanas. Maybe a third of people w/o covered faces were wearing gloves.

Now, I wouln't want to restart the gender war, but has anyone noticed that lots more women of various ages were masked than men? I saw only 2 men today in 3 retail locations wearing face masks; both older.

On a lighter note, which we all need:

The osprey are back at Union Lake dam
Spring peepers going in the wetland behind the farm field across the road from my house
Pair of redtails nesting in one of the white pine trees on our property, owl pellet on ground underneath our oak tree---- rabbits beware!
Turkey strutt in aforementioned farm field--- just disked (sp?!) lots of tasty bugs.
There's a skunk living in my garage.

The natural world continues, happily oblivious to us and our virus.

Its SPRING!, Time to take the big dog for a walk.

I just got back from Home Depot. It was unnerving. They are only letting 50 people in at a time. So, I dutifully stepped into the back of the line outside. Along comes a woman and her husband, within about 3 feet of my back talking loudly "what's that you say Doris, only 50 at a time? Walmart was not like that, they're letting in 200 at a time"! I stepped away from her a bit, and she move up like she wanted to take my place. Jeez. Then, one guy sidles up next to me in the store and starts ranting about a woman politician. I laughed at him and moved away, and he follows me for 5 aisles! He's saying "don't you want to know the truth?". I told him to back off and nearly told an employee to kick him out. All in all, I felt vulnerable, even though the employees were great, and washing down the screens after each purchase.

Similar experience last Thurs at Bridgeton post office. Local guy in his 90's, who I know and greeted, started insisting that all we needed was spirit. He chastised the woman I was next to because she was wearing a face mask (at that time I was not). She got very upset, because of her high-risk status, and as I left they were yelling at each other.

Later that morning, in the Shoprite checkout line, an Old guy blessing anyone near him, "Gods word protects all of us..." Nothing threatening or scary. He's just scared, like anyone who's paying attention. We're all scared.

Last edited:

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
It sure feels weird how quick this all progressed. From just hearing people complaining about their Iphone shipment being delayed because of what was happening in China, to not even two weeks later my employer shutting down and now everyone hiding at home. I hope things can go back to normal just as quickly. I had to cancel my vacation plans for next week, of hiking in the Great Smokies, since apparently cars with NJ license plates are being stopped and turned around or threatened with quarantine down there. It really makes you notice all the small things you take for granted, like being able to get your haircut or having a choice what brand of paper towels to buy.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I cleaned it up. Sorry 46'r. I thought you were saying that other municipalities had numbers too (obvious). I suspect you meant that other towns were not following rules either.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I cleaned it up. Sorry 46'r. I thought you were saying that other municipalities had numbers too (obvious). I suspect you meant that other towns were not following rules either.

Fortunately I did not see your post.

No, that is not what I mean. There is a large community in Lakewood that has expanded and live in other towns (Jackson, Brick, Toms River, Howell) that border Lakewood. Some of those folks not following the guidance are the reason those other towns numbers are high. It's all been in the local news and has become very political.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Fortunately I did not see your post.

No, that is not what I mean. There is a large community in Lakewood that has expanded and live in other towns (Jackson, Brick, Toms River, Howell) that border Lakewood. Some of those folks not following the guidance are the reason those other towns numbers are high. It's all been in the local news and has become very political.

Yes, and since Toms River is 156(?) confirmed cases, that will only fuel the fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.