To: "joeshinn@outlook.com" <joeshinn@outlook.com>
Subject: NJ State Parks CLOSED due to COVID-19
Reply-To:
NJParksandForestry@public.govdelivery.com
Parks and Forestry header

closed

State Parks and Forests
CLOSED
Governor Murphy announced that effective at 8pm on Tuesday, April 7, 2020, all state parks and forests will be closed until further notice. This full closure includes all park lots, grounds, facilities, trails, playgrounds.
HIKING PROHIBITED
All park gates and entrances are CLOSED. Trail use is PROHIBITED. Save yourself the trip and STAY HOME to help limit the spread of COVID-19.
AREAS PATROLLED
New Jersey State Park Police will patrol park areas to ensure the public is following the Governor’s directives to stay home to help limit the spread of COVID-19.
WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER
To keep your family and our entire New Jersey family safe, stay home, practice good hygiene and follow all State and CDC guidelines concerning COVID-19.
MORE INFO
To learn more about COVID-19 or find resources, go to https://www.COVID19.NJ.GOV, text NJCOVID to 898-211, or call 211.
For updated parks information, please follow this Facebook page or visit the Division of Parks and Forestry’s website: https://njparksandforests.org

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Federal NWR's are still open, as are specfic NRA's, historic sites and NP's. Probably not for long and long overdue, as was NJ.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
Very sad news about the state parks and forests closing.
Atlantic County says their parks are closed "as per Gov Murphy's executive order", but I can't find that (and not willing to watch the full briefing video). The article on NJ.com says municipalities decide about their own local parks, but it isn't clear if this applies to counties.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I spent 6 hours in Lower Friendship on Sunday morning and afternoon. Saw no one, not a soul. I was in the sunshine and fresh air which kills the Covid19, but as usual saw a bunch of jeeps riding in a caravan down Hawkins Bridge Road.

I checked and saw no indication that the NJCF properties are closed.

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I would just ignore it but Jessica will not go so it looks like I will be staying home.

Reactions: RednekF350

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
You guys called it. I'm sure some stealth exploring isn't out of the question but I would definitely avoid leaving your car parked anywhere that might be patrolled. As far as I'm concerned the closure order doesn't mean you can't drive any of the dirt roads within Wharton- the larger ones like Quaker Bridge are county roads rather than under the ownership of the state forest. I guess that will remain to be tested. It is true that more people are outdoors- we went kayaking at the sandwash in Winslow WMA behind the asphalt plant and there were enough people to think it was a summer weekend. Still a nice time. Walked down to the train trestle over the Egg Harbor River to eat lunch, it's pretty desolate back there. On the way home we made a side trip to the Blue Hole of legend off of Inskip Rd. and it was even more disappointing than the disappointment I remembered from years ago. Never understood the hype around that place, maybe it was just a big party spot years ago and lots of people older than me still hold it in high regard as a result. It's been nothing but a mud pit as long at I've been visiting it.

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
If enforcement of social distancing was ignored do we think this will be different?
I just don't get it, I can walk my dog down the street but not the trail it's not logical to me

Reactions: RednekF350

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I know in the past when parks were closed they blocked off Quaker Bridge Road also.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
I wouldn't push the thing with driving sand roads within state forests that are actually county roads. If park police see you, and stop you, I can promise they will not be in a good mood. They must be having a very rough time, breaking up groups and getting yelled at, stuff like that.

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
I'm surprised they've blocked off QB, since there's at least one parcel of private property back there past the church. If you turn off to the north either at, or slightly past the CNJRR tracks, there's a semi-used shooting range that can only be accessed from QB road.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
Here's another question for all to think about: According to my calendar, turkey hunting season starts next Saturday 4/18 with a Youth hunting day, then Monday-Saturday Spring Turkey Season days. I'm not a hunter, just curious. Canceled? WMAs and private property only? (Are WMAs really still open? Or did they just forget to close them?)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I'm surprised they've blocked off QB, since there's at least one parcel of private property back there past the church. If you turn off to the north either at, or slightly past the CNJRR tracks, there's a semi-used shooting range that can only be accessed from QB road.

I am sure they will let those people go. Anyone else, I doubt it. Quaker Bridge Road is the last place you should go.

Status
Not open for further replies.