Forest fire burns roughly 1,000 acres in Cumberland County; fire not under control

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
There is only one ruin on Battle and battle has not been burnt.Just drove down it.The ruin on Battle is on the west side of the old mill dam across Gravelly Run. I know where there are probably twenty cellars or more in Bevan all which seem to be grouped under baileytown even though that was specifically where the rifle range is now and the state just redid the range and wiped out two c ellars when they did it,one was the Brady place.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Al, after this fire is put to bed, if you go back out there, I'd be happy to see a rough outline of the burned area on a map. I'd like to see what pops up vegetation wise this summer, so no rush on that.

Reactions: Boyd and manumuskin

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
Ok, then I saw them still working on the one south at 1pm today. I guess I shouldn't be surprised it jumped the road, it's pretty narrow. I go that way to get to Shaws Mill Pond sometimes. Al, no, I don't live near you but I went hiking in the bluffs Wednesday and again today and drove through your area both days. Been laid off going on four weeks now and trying to make the best of the nicer weather.

Reactions: Boyd

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
Hadn't been in a few years, Al. It was crowded. Do you drink out of this thing?

well.jpg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Hadn't been in a few years, Al. It was crowded. Do you drink out of this thing?

View attachment 13324
I"ve been drinking out of that thing since I was a kid of five.that is the best sprng water in south jersey. The pipe has been changed numerous times and sometimes there is no pipe and it bubbles out of the ground.At one time state had a sign there that said "This water will kill you" or something like that.We used to take gallon jugs of it home back when you could drive to it and Wheatons Wharf was still good before my Uncle burnt it down.

Last edited:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Okay update.555 is open.Ackey fron 555 over to blacktop where RR ave joind is closed.The burn on 555 extends from Unimin /Persimmon tree rd on the west side all the way down to rr ave and up rr ave to the sand plant.I did not drive akley since its still has barrels in front of it. Much along road looked like back fires but there was at least on open hot spot with smoke pouring from it and many logs still smoking within view of road. an open area dropped for pine beetles two years ago looks pretty smoky,a lot of logs still lay where they dropped for beetles and are now smoldering.I will drive Ackley tomorrow if they open it and see what the heart of the fire looks like. The area north of ackley just had a wildfire maybe five years ago.Didnt think enough left in there for another big fire,I"ve walked through it. and it's pretty open though a lot of down logs from the fire that were killed and dropped later.These are predominantly oak woods and the fires have killed many of the trees,mostly white oak and northern red.NOt scrub and Blackjack like up in the Barrens

Reactions: bobpbx