Storm

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Apparently a tree in my yard had some rot in it, and the big storm passing through today took a branch down. Unfortuantly, it also took down the electric line, cable line and the old telephone line to my house. Fortuantly, the cable and electric still work. Comcast was out in no time and fixed the line and all is well; however, the electric company is a different story. The old phone line should be removed tomorrow.

The line is just held in the tree. Hopefully, another storm does not come soon or it will rip my electric box off the house. It already is almost fully off. The cable line is replaced already as you can see.

IMG_4676a.jpg

IMG_4680a.jpg

Slightly blurry

IMG_4678a.jpg

The police came recently and taped the yard off because the electric line is over the sidewalk. The phone line goes across the road. I can see someone yanking on it and pulling my siding off.

• Wow
Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Wow, that is scary. I was surprised when that storm roared through here, the wind was incredible - way beyond the 30mph they were forecasting in the morning. No rain, just wind. Then, after the wind died down, we had some light rain for a short while.

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
I just got a storm alert on my cell about 10 minutes ago. Right now it is very dark, some thunder and lightning, but no heavy winds or rain, as we got at 12:30 today, I'm located in Haddon Township (Westmont), between Collingswood and Haddonfield.

Right now it is even darker like night time and I hear the wind picking up. Alright, it is starting to rain. The weather is chamging fast as I can type this email. My wife just said that storm alert was for a tornado warning.

• Wow

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Yeah, it's another nasty looking one. Not sure if it will get as far South as me, but I keep hearing thunder. I hope Guy makes it through this ok.

storm.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Another storm came through and took out the tree in my front yard. I watched it fall as a car was coming towards it. They were able to stop in time. Just went out and cleared the street.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The electrical line to our house has fallen out of the tree and is now tugging on the box bolted to the house. It is pulling on the vinyl siding and looks like it might fall off. The lights are flickering.

• Wow

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
Guy. not much here in Westmont. Just some rain and little wind. Maybe the ground was so saturated it help bring the tree down, unless you had a worst storm.

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
Real heavy rain & winds just here again. Tree down across street few houses down and neighbors tree down in backyard and trampoline on other side of field. All from 1st storm.

• Wow

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Whole bunch of these smaller cells roaring through, moving Southeast. One came through here a little while ago, more on the way. The severe storm warning is supposed to end at 10:00 PM.

storms.jpg

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE FOR WS 244
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
350 PM EDT WED JUN 3 2020

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 244 IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1000 PM EDT
FOR THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS

NJC001-005-007-009-011-015-029-033-040200-
/O.NEW.KWNS.SV.A.0244.200603T1950Z-200604T0200Z/

NJ
. NEW JERSEY COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

ATLANTIC BURLINGTON CAMDEN
CAPE MAY CUMBERLAND GLOUCESTER
OCEAN SALEM

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Several large limbs down in my yard. Brutal wind and rain, probably the windiest I've ever experienced. One appears to have fallen on the camper. Not yet sure if the extent of the damage. An EZ-Up that was anchored to the ground is a twisted mess.

Those two storms may be the worse I've ever seen.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Guy,

Your tree looks like a callery pear, maybe even a Bradford. That tree-type (esp. Bradford) has an inherent branch defect that cause them to self-destruct after 20 or 30 years. Branches arise in tightly packed pairs or clusters, and so are poorly joined to the trunk in co-dominance. Two objects can't exist in the same place at the same time. As branches increase in girth, they literally cleave themselves apart in crush.

Bradford was introduced by the USDA Plant Introduction Center, and was originally intended to be used as understock (the root-part) in edible pear orchards. This inevitable breakage is less of a problem at the shore where the trees grower slower due to salt pruning. Callery pears are incredibly tolerant of coastal conditions. The branch defect is being bred out of newer cultivars. Their use should be tempered as they are becoming an invasive pest.

S-M, NJLTE#285

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Public Service arrived and hooked our electric back up but we need to have an electrician replace the box and the wire from the box to the peak of the roof.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Public Service arrived and hooked our electric back up but we need to have an electrician replace the box and the wire from the box to the peak of the roof.
I was going to mention that but decided to wait. Check your homeowners insurance if the cost of the electrician is covered.

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
Here in Woodbury we had some strong winds and some big trees down. Luckily nothing but a few potted plants tipped over at my house. Driving to work Thursday morning, it seemed like Camden county was hit much worse, with some really massive damage in Runnemede. My cell phone was acting weird also.

Very true about the deductible, I believe any damage caused by wind normally has a higher deductible (ours is $2500 vs the usual $1000 for fire/theft/etc.). This is to discourage people from making a claim every time one shingle blows off their roof.

If/when you call an electrician for a quote, that's called the "meter pan", the "service entrance cable", and the "weatherhead" is the little hooded piece at the top of the roof. None of that is expensive but here in PSE&G territory at least, the electrician will have to make the splice with the wires still hot.