Kayaking Mullica

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Recently have gotten into kayaking to explore the pines. Curious what the easiest drop in and spots the paddle Mullica are. Jackson road drop in is down the street but it looks fairly tight. We have a two person kayak which is long and two singles. Just wondering what the best spot to paddle on Mullica for beginners. We usually go to wading but it’s just too crowded with micks.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I assume you mean with transportation set up at the end of your journey? I recall that people used to put in here, just downstream of the Atsion Dam.

1592052186975.png

Reactions: Jersey Jeff

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
But why not practice in a safe lake. I assume your children are young? You don't want anyone freaking out going under the train trestle just down from the above put in.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Me and my wife Bob. I should say she is new to it not me. We’ve done the wading a dozen times. I just scouted it out and will drop in there, thanks.

Reactions: bobpbx

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
The Mullica is tight and twisty with a lot of over hanging brush from Jackson rd down to almost Goshen pond before it opens up.Goshen pond is gorgeous but I think your supposed to be camping there to put in there.You could drop in at the sand road just below it but you'd miss the pond unless you went upstream first. Bobs spot is the best put in for the lower river and is about a seven hour trip from these to Pleasant Mills in a canoe,no doubt faster in a yak.

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
Reactions: Jersey Jeff

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I start here, some people call it "first beach". https://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.734148975415906&lng=-74.7110775670803&z=20&type=nj2015&gpx=

It takes about five hours to get to Batsto, a few more if you just coast with the current.

If you put in at Jackson Road or Sandy Causeway/ Plastic Bridge currently you better bring a chainsaw. I was there this morning and it's completely impassable!

You mean Pleasant Mills I hope. Don't want to give people the wrong idea that they'll float into Batsto lake on the Mullica.

Reactions: manumuskin

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
We dropped in at Quaker bridge and down to batsto lake. It took about 3.5 hours and was a really nice paddle. Some beautiful wild woods and nice cedar stands. Tried to drop in off jackson and sandy causeway but both were too tight to paddle. Would like to drop in there since it’s so close to house but don’t think it’s doable, can only do on the other side of 206.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
We dropped in at Quaker bridge and down to batsto lake. It took about 3.5 hours and was a really nice paddle. Some beautiful wild woods and nice cedar stands. Tried to drop in off jackson and sandy causeway but both were too tight to paddle. Would like to drop in there since it’s so close to house but don’t think it’s doable, can only do on the other side of 206.
I haven't canoied the upper Mullica since the late 80's.Perhaps no one is clearing it any more.Not nearly as beautiful as the lower river but a nice little twisty isolated run none the less.

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
That is what I meant to say. I take out at the ramp on the east side, just past the 542 bridge and river gauge.

You mean Pleasant Mills I hope. Don't want to give people the wrong idea that they'll float into Batsto lake on the Mullica.

If you wanted to shorten the trip you could go from First Beach to Constable Bridge. That's probably more like four hours, with decent road access to both.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
That is what I meant to say. I take out at the ramp on the east side, just past the 542 bridge and river gauge.

If you wanted to shorten the trip you could go from First Beach to Constable Bridge. That's probably more like four hours, with decent road access to both.

Four hours is moving fast!

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
We put in right here. Says Mullica on google earth, but I was confused since it turns into Batsto and run parallel to another route that also is listed as the mullica.

Attachments

• F62A58B8-A11B-45EC-AD6E-C2AC482EF0B8.png
    F62A58B8-A11B-45EC-AD6E-C2AC482EF0B8.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 232

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Says Mullica on google earth...

Google maps has incorrectly listed the Batsto River as the Mullica as long as I have been on this site. I don't know what their naming protocol is (maybe like "Wikipedia"?), but if you put in at Quaker Bridge, you were on the Batsto, not the Mullica.

The route Zach was discussing, from First Beach to Constable Bridge, is the "real" Mullica.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Back in 2002 a group of us put in the Mullica at Atsion, then when we were near Locks Bridge, we portaged over to lower forge campground, and finished the next day on the Batsto. That was memorable. We dragged our canoes through the woods with ropes. It was hard but easier than we thought. I had a porterhouse steak packed away for the lower forge camp.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I thought it was most likely the batsto. Either way it was a very nice river and secluded for most part. I haven’t explored that section of wharton much but I was impressed with the cedar stands along it.

Reactions: Boyd
Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Google maps has incorrectly listed the Batsto River as the Mullica as long as I have been on this site. I don't know what their naming protocol is (maybe like "Wikipedia"?), but if you put in at Quaker Bridge, you were on the Batsto, not the Mullica.

The route Zach was discussing, from First Beach to Constable Bridge, is the "real" Mullica.

As far as I'm concerned, the Batsto River has just as much right to the name "Mullica" as does the Atsion River. Think of the former as the East Branch of the Mullica and the latter as the West Branch. :)