Shipwreck

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com

I was planning a kayak trip out to some isolated Delaware Bay beaches to do some arrowhead hunting.I was looking on Google Earth and measuring my route when I noticed this shipwreck.It measures 237 ft long and 46 ft wide.I immediately checked it out on Boyds maps and then went to Historical aerials and started going back in time.It was there in 1931.Does anyone know any history about this boat? I have to check my patched kayak tomorrow to see if it holds water,if so next days off I may be heading out there if the weather isn't too bad.I"m going to check this boat out as well. I know where several cool wrecks are but this has to be the biggest and as far as I know the oldest.Have tracked the one at Lanings Wharf and the one at East point back to the 50's. Never checked the concrete ship out down Cape may but then again I"ve never been to it though very close. I"ll find out if it's wood or steel.Can't imagine wood staying in that good of shape being it's salt water.Worms would have et it by now.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I just found this.Going over it now but about to fall asleep,worked all night and ain't been to bed yet

amf

Explorer
May 20, 2006
Swedesboro
I must have paddled over that wreck half a dozen times, but always around a high tide and never saw a trace of it.
Be careful when you go... there are some squirrelly currents there where Stow Creek has breached the bank into Delaware Bay.

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I must have paddled over that wreck half a dozen times, but always around a high tide and never saw a trace of it.
Be careful when you go... there are some squirrelly currents there where Stow Creek has breached the bank into Delaware Bay.
What does the beach look like next to it? Is it a decent walkable beach? Looks like a nice one on aerials.