zigadenus leimanthoides (Now called Stenanthium leimanthoides)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Otherwise known as Pine Barren Death Camas. A very rare plant that is very hard to photograph. It is just starting to bloom. The tallest stalk is about 47 inches high. Right to Jessica's chin.

IMG_0157a.jpg

IMG_0159a.jpg

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Nice pix, We wandered around in the Pines in 2012 looking for this, found it for photographs in 2013 with Karl Anderson's guidance. Have only seen it in one location. Saw tons of related Zigadenus species out in a bog in Dolly Sods, WV later on.
tnx for posting.

Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Plants are not my expertise and I am saying this just from my experience. This plant is rare. We found this in 2007 and I have watched it every year since then and searched for others and have not found any in a large area search around it. It just does it's own thing year after year except for the times when the weather threw it a curve ball with too much rain or not enough. This is tied with the best year since we found it. Photographing it annoys me but other than that I have had fun every July paying it a visit. It is like an old friend that goes away for a year and sometimes comes back and sometimes ........ well...doesn't.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Interesting and rare plant to come across Teegate! Saturday, I was in Wharton checking an area I knew it once existed but ran out of time.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We visited it again on Saturday. It reached Jessica's nose.

IMG_0225a.jpg

I remember Bob telling me the name has been changed so it actually is Stenanthium leimanthoides

Guy

Reactions: M1 Abrams and John

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Update: We checked on the plant the other day and it is as expected not blooming yet.

IMG_8186a.jpg

Today Jessica and I did some plant searching with Bob and after arriving home Jessica fell into the shower and hit her head. She is on her way home now with 6 staples in her head.

Before staples.

Jessica head_a.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Boyd