Allen road, Oswego Road, and the bombing range.

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
So came across two differnt topics of interest over the last two weeks. That may be related and was wondering if anyone had any more information.

1. It appears the state may be doing alot of work on allen road and Oswego roads by making them wider and doing something very similar as they did with washington in Wharton. They are looking to create a fire break. They are also looking to do mechanical thinning and maybe prescribed burns. I have seen a copy of the proposal however do not have a copy to share.

2. I saw that the Bombing Range just recieved $300000 and in the article is says for 44000 acres. It doesnt say to what use just that's it's under the readiness provisions. Last time they did something similar we lost some state land in the process and they also partnered to buy Oswego Gun club property. Does anyone know what these funds may be for?

Reactions: Teegate and Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I hope that the state does the work at the correct time of year or T/E will be impacted. Regardless there will still be major changes for species of concern in those immediate areas.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The NJCF was the main buyer of the Oswego Gun Club. The others including the Feds gave money.

I noticed they had been trimming Oswego Road. I would think if they were going to clear the woods to make it wider they would not have trimmed it.

Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I hope they are not going to fully purchase the Oswego Gun Club property. This would keep all of us out of there and make it tough to get to that area.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
FWIW, this is from the NJDEP openspace dataset that I downloaded in March 2020, it is listed as public access.

NJCF.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes, it is public because the NJCF basically owns it and they let you on it. The feds went in on it because they wanted to keep private ownership out to keep homes and other use away from their land. But the NJCF occasionally sells or swaps with the state and they may do the same with the feds. Not saying they are, just hoping they don't.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Good find Rooftree.

$300,000 to protect 44,000 acres of forest area in the Greenwood State from wildfire near the NJ National Guard Warren Grove Gunnery Range in Ocean/Burlington counties;

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I wonder what history will be damaged in this endeavor?

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
From the plan is I saw Oswego road it looked to be widening from Martha to Munion field. Hopefully filling in some holes cause there are two interesting ones in that road that were never that bad. As for Allen road that looked the real action spot as the main fire break with widening and alot of mechanical thinnning on the west side. North of oswego road and all the way to the gate.

Boyd it is open space partnership with green acres funds,njcf, and the range. Boyd do you have older data sets showing state woods say around 95 to 2000 before they moved the gates out further on Allen road and shamong roads. There is one small piece left at top of shamong road according to tax maps but is well beyond the gate.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I made my first map in 2008, but don't have that source data on my computer anymore. I did not even install Garmin's software on my new computer yet, since I haven't needed it. You could download my old map here if you want to check, it should work in Basecamp

I have an old backup on external disk, but would need to put my old PC back together to access it. But can you find the boundaries on the USGS topo? It is the final version from around 2000, although it probably wasn't updated since the 1980's. Not sure exactly where you are talking about though.

https://online.boydsmaps.com/#15/39.6842/-74.4606/pines1999

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am now unsure of exactly what you want. In any event, here are the original Wharton properties when the state first purchased Wharton. And I also marked the current gates and marked the general area that is off limits. Everything to the right is also off limits. If you need more detail let me know.

The blue area is Wharton and the triangle shaped are in the middle is the Oswego Gun Club now owned by the NJCF.

warren.jpg

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
Guy that's exactly what I was looking for thanks. I was always under the impression the bottom of the pink was state woods along the road between allen and shamong all the way up to Calico Warren grove road. So that's defintely differnt.

Reactions: Teegate

local vollie

Scout
Apr 6, 2011
Not sure what is so hard to understand ?? The grant pays for the trimming, mowing, and road repair to Allen Rd.all the way to the gate of the Air National Guard Gunnery Range. The road, once paved, is in absolutely deplorable condition. Major puddles, potholes, overgrowth, bridge repair, and just plain years of neglect. Reoairingvthis will allow NJFFS personnnel much quicker access for emergency response in case if a wildland fire. Hope this helps.