DEP plans new effort to regulate off-road vehicles in Pinelands

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I bet the hunters will love this.

Ray Bukowski, the DEP’s Assistant Commissioner for Natural and Historic Resources, said other uses of the Pinelands such as hunting and fishing have the potential to damage the environment just as much as off-road driving does.

• Angry
Reactions: manumuskin

mowergod

Explorer
Apr 9, 2011
Newtonville
No new regulations are needed or permits. What is needed is more man power and off road capable vehicles the off-roaders know where the cops can't go and that's where they go. the Park Police need off-road capable vehicles of which they do not have a Chevy Tahoe that's made for the street is not capable of getting to some of these places where the off-road people go therefore there is no enforcement of the rules unless they catch him going into these places I've said it before that the state could apply to the federal government to get a couple Humvees from the federal government to go roamin through Wharton they can get them at no cost from the federal government and I even have said on this very four of that I would donate my time to help outfit those vehicles with the electronics and lights needed that was met with deaf ears when I brought this up and sent letters to the state and our lawmakers hell I even got the excuse from one of them that it would cost too much to outfit these vehicles when I then return with telling them that they could reuse lights off retired cop cars again all I heard was crickets the whole permit thing and more regulations it's just another money grab by the idiots in government who could care less about anybody

mowergod

Explorer
Apr 9, 2011
Newtonville
Does anybody else smell a rat because I sure do cuz think about this that article came out by blowhard Al Horner now all the sudden this pops up and the DEP is at it again

Reactions: WaretownMike

SpineyPiney

Scout
Jan 15, 2013
Wonder what scope this will have?
launching a permitting system for off-road drivers, and formalizing those practices with new regulation
Unless they’re talking about permits for dirt bikes and ATVs we already have a driving permit system in NJ and every other state for that matter. It’s called a drivers license and it already allows me to drive a legally registered and insured vehicle on any public roadway in the United States and many other countries too.

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
It appears that they have learned some lessons from 2015. If they start with the 97 Topo map, that is not bad, but the question is where do they go from there? What will the process be to make changes? Who will be controlling how that map changes? All details that need to be worked out.... The details of the permitting system could also be concerning. A lot of vigilance and engagement will be required. OTNJ was invited to meet with the state this AM and they committed that they will be engaging other stakeholders going forward, so again, that is a good sign that things will hopefully be a little different this time. Time will tell....

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nothing will stop the damage to the woods. Nothing. They are wasting their time.

• Sad

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I am waiting for the excuse that the state doesn't have the funding to enforce the existing laws or to maintain the existing roads, because of the past year and that road closures are a necessary evil to save the forest, considering the current situation. Of course, this would only be a temporary but permanent measure until a better solution, fore the worse, can be achieved through funding which may be available in the near future. The outcome will benefit all of New Jersians especially those of us who enjoy the outdoors we can no longer visit.

Last edited:
Reactions: enormiss

c1nj

Explorer
Nov 19, 2008
The genesis of this problem was the closing of the pits.
Chatsworth, Little Mill, Tri-boro, Zarcos, Hundred Foot Hill, Murphys, Hidden Lakes and all the other ones I am forgetting.
The majority of the off-roaders spent the day in the same spot driving through the same mud holes.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
The genesis of this problem was the closing of the pits.
Chatsworth, Little Mill, Tri-boro, Zarcos, Hundred Foot Hill, Murphys, Hidden Lakes and all the other ones I am forgetting.
The majority of the off-roaders spent the day in the same spot driving through the same mud holes.

It’s a no-brainer.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
It’s a no-brainer.
Are you referring to Hundred Foot hill down my way on Hunters Mill rd? Rode whotgun with my cuz a few times as he climbed it in his old bronco.Never understood why risk your truck going up the front when anyone could drive up the back. That hill still is and always has been private sand company property so they did have a right to close it.Probably afraid of bein g sued.I personally know a parapalegic who became paralyzed after flipping an atv on their property (same as hundred ft) he bought his parents house and is not quite wealthy.he was trespassing when he rolled the bike,how do you get wealthy from that? Should of got out of the hospital to trespassing fines.