Weird finds in weird New Jersey!

EddieD

Scout
Feb 13, 2021
Mays Landing
I found some old fiberglass tanks half-buried in an old clay pit in the pine barrens of South Jersey (where all the weird stuff is or happens)! These cylindrical fiberglass tubes are located in an old clay pit that was used by the Atlantic Brick manufacturing Company from the 1930s to the 1950s. These tubes are NOT from that time period, since they did not use fiberglass back then. My question is, of course, what were they used for, and why would someone half-burry them in an out-of-the-way location in the woods? There are several of these "stacked" around the area and have been purposely "half-buried" in clay. The area is not easily accessible by truck or vehicle, only by foot or four-wheelers and dirt bikes today. I'd love to hear others' opinions as to what these were for and WHY anyone would go through the trouble of hauling them out into the woods!

Attachments

• IMG_20211004_165131.jpg
    IMG_20211004_165131.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 120
  • IMG_20211004_165141.jpg
    IMG_20211004_165141.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_20211004_165155.jpg
    IMG_20211004_165155.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 120

EddieD

Scout
Feb 13, 2021
Mays Landing
Okay. Yeah, the thought obviously crossed my mind, but I'll just continue deceiving myself in thinking that they were just the brine tanks for a water softening system that someone wanted to get rid of. Damn, I hate that when people dump stuff like this. Just continue to pollute the world and the environment, then complain when we start having two-headed babies being born!

EddieD

Scout
Feb 13, 2021
Mays Landing
The funny thing is. I just went back there again, and saw that there is a crumbled up, discarded NJ Wildlife Management area sign nearby on the ground as trash! The area is not a WMA area as far as I know. Hmmm...

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Maybe you should stay away from there. If you have concerns, I would contact the DEP.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Okay. Yeah, the thought obviously crossed my mind, but I'll just continue deceiving myself in thinking that they were just the brine tanks for a water softening system that someone wanted to get rid of. Damn, I hate that when people dump stuff like this. Just continue to pollute the world and the environment, then complain when we start having two-headed babies being born!
Brine tanks was my first guess. A local driller/pump installer might have had a stockpile of used ones to get rid of or maybe he went out of business and trashed his stock.

Old fiberglass is worthless and is next to impossible to recycle. The late Kenny Brittain from Wheels and Keels in Atco told me the best thing you can do with an old boat is cut it into small pieces and put a few pieces out in your trash every week for about 10 years ! Too bad he didn't follow his own advice before he died. His old yard across from Atco Lake still has quite a few fading away into the brush.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
I found some old fiberglass tanks half-buried in an old clay pit in the pine barrens of South Jersey (where all the weird stuff is or happens)! These cylindrical fiberglass tubes are located in an old clay pit that was used by the Atlantic Brick manufacturing Company from the 1930s to the 1950s. These tubes are NOT from that time period, since they did not use fiberglass back then. My question is, of course, what were they used for, and why would someone half-burry them in an out-of-the-way location in the woods? There are several of these "stacked" around the area and have been purposely "half-buried" in clay. The area is not easily accessible by truck or vehicle, only by foot or four-wheelers and dirt bikes today. I'd love to hear others' opinions as to what these were for and WHY anyone would go through the trouble of hauling them out into the woods!

Is anything in them? Can u c inside them? It looks like the type of thing that people might use to hide things in, like a PVC cache.

EddieD

Scout
Feb 13, 2021
Mays Landing
Is anything in them? Can u c inside them? It looks like the type of thing that people might use to hide things in, like a PVC cache.
I took a pic of the opening of the one most visible and on top. From the look of 'em, I doubt they were used to put things inside. I really think they were just dumped there out of convenience as opposed to someone paying the proper disposal fees. Nonetheless.....there's always the excitement....what if...LOL. But, no, It might be dangerous in case those things were toxic. not worth the chance of glowing pine barren green! LOL I think it best just to stay away in case they are toxic.

Reactions: Boyd

EddieD

Scout
Feb 13, 2021
Mays Landing
It looks like a spun tank for my acid neutralizer with the fill port.
View attachment 16090
Dude. You just put the screws on tight! That's a wrap for what these were! I think those tanks match up exactly to your neutralizer tank for your water treatment system. Thanks! At least they were not toxic...I hate it when people dumb things in our pine barrens. Even worse if they are chemicals. Do you have to pay allot for the disposal of those tanks? What chemical is in them?

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Robbin's well of Shamong replaced the old one and took it. I don't know what they do with them. Whatever it was filled with, it dissolves in water and we drink it.
Bill.jpg