Wharton State Forest Marker

Woodsman

Feb 16, 2018
Medford, NJ
Was hiking in the Wharton State Forest off Jackson Rd in Medford. Just curious about this marker I saw. Is it a survey marker?
PXL_20211107_180741463.jpg
Thanks. Kyle

Reactions: manumuskin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That obviously is NJ34M. The M means you are in Medford. It is the corner monument for one of the corners of the original Wharton survey. The property to the north was private but in recent years it was sold to the state by Ida & Joseph Stamos and is Acquisition # 745.

Sorry for the poor photos.

DSC_0596b.jpg

DSC_0599a.jpg

That monument is close to the location where an old stone was that was incised with the letter L on it. However, it was in a road in lowlands and I could not find it twice. You can see my records here. I was there a year ago yesterday.

nj34M 2.jpg

• Love
Reactions: manumuskin

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
Teegate, just curious if you know whether the "L" on the stone stood for Lippincott or Little or for some other past landowner?

Woodsman

Feb 16, 2018
Medford, NJ
Yes that is the spot. I enjoy hiking in those woods. I sometimes look up property records using block and lot numbers but am not familiar with acquisition #745. Kyle

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The Samost property, actually two of them, were acquired on December 19, 2001. The total acreage was 948.54. The property near Highbridge consisted of various lots with one surveyed in 1790 and the other in 1775. There was a stone at one location in 2001 but when I arrived a few years later I did not find it even though there were plenty of clues as to where it was. I even dug fairly deep and came up empty. Three trees were blazed and all I had to do was stand in the intersection of the three blazes. I have a photo somewhere of them but as of yet have not found it.

I have more to find out there but the briers and time has kept me from them.

Reactions: MuckSavage

Woodsman

Feb 16, 2018
Medford, NJ
The Samost property, actually two of them, were acquired on December 19, 2001. The total acreage was 948.54. The property near Highbridge consisted of various lots with one surveyed in 1790 and the other in 1775. There was a stone at one location in 2001 but when I arrived a few years later I did not find it even though there were plenty of clues as to where it was. I even dug fairly deep and came up empty. Three trees were blazed and all I had to do was stand in the intersection of the three blazes. I have a photo somewhere of them but as of yet have not found it.

I have more to find out there but the briers and time has kept me from them.
I have found property markers before but never found an old survey for the land where they were located. I usually figured out they were property markers because they were located on the current property boundary and had letters carved in them. I know the West Jersey History Project has a lot of surveys on their site and sometimes the old deeds include a survey but I have never searched for monuments using old surveys.

I have been hiking with friends and stopped to examine a rock and it never occurs to them it could be marker/monument. Hopefully nobody would have tampered with your "L" marker but maybe I am being too optimistic.

Reactions: MuckSavage

PinesExplr

Scout
Dec 7, 2005
Medford, NJ
Does anyone know if the property demarcated by those stones encompass the old bogs (Jobstown Bogs)? The only thing I've ever been able to learn about the bogs is that they date back to around the 1870s, and from old photos, speculate they were abandoned sometime before 1920-30s.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The Jobstown bogs ruins are inside the property that was owned by Samost. In the below aerial you can see the blue line crosses right on the edge of where the ruins are. The bogs are also shown and they are inside of that property.

job.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I just called them that because I have a map that Braddock himself hand drew of the place.