A really big tree

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
I was killing some time in south jersey last week and drove over to check out the Hancock House and Alloways Creek bridge in Salem County. When I was leaving I saw a sign for a short trail to a viewing platform close to the Delaware. When I walked out, you could tell the area was clearly used as a farm or homestead. I checked out the viewing platform and was shocked to see this ship coming up the river. It literally looked like it was sailing through the marsh. It reminded me of the "Cornfield Cruiser" when you are on the NJ turnpike. As I was leaving I saw a small trail and decided to follow it. It went to a small clearing that had a ton of flowers growing. I figured there must have been a house there at some time. Then I saw a mass of trees and went over to check it out. Upon walking around it, I noticed it was actually one tree. I took some pictures but only had my wallet to use as a size reference. Does anyone know what kind of tree this is? On the aerials you can see there was a building and farm fields there at one time. Apparently the nuke plant wants to build a new road through the area. There is a pretty extensive impact report too.

https://www.nrc.gov/docs/ML1016/ML101660320.pdf

IMG_2650.jpg
IMG_2652.jpg
IMG_2654.jpg
IMG_2655.jpg
IMG_2653.jpg
IMG_2656.jpg
IMG_2776.jpg

Last edited:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Now that I notice the daffodils the area has been planted so it may well be silver maple.I was so zeroed in on the tree I didn't notice the flowers for the tree....is that a saying or something?

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Actually there appear to be (at least) two "Money Islands".
:)

This is the one you're thinking of

Now I have been edumacated! That looks like a good place to explore,oh how I love salt marsh sislands but that close to the reactors is asking for trouble.I know people who have been seriously hrrassed by facility security while on wildlife management area land fro being too close to the power plant.Knowing me and my attitude it would wind up in court so probably just better to stay away.Upon looking it turns out the island isn't state owned any way it's owned by Francis Corp whatever that may be so I"ll just avoid court altogether.

Last edited by a moderator:

amf

Explorer
May 20, 2006
Swedesboro
Yep. Two Money Islands. The Salem County one I believe was the Starr hunting club / wildlife refuge, owned by a Tatnall B Starr. It and all the surrounding farms were acquired by PSE&G.

Reactions: Boyd

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
German G and I went to Cook College at slightly different times, or maybe I just didn't notice him when I was there. :)
We both had Dendrology and were taught by some very smart people. I took Dendrology in winter and my professor told me I would thank him for that some day because we didn't have to worry about leaves. I learned mostly by bark and form.

I say that tree is white oak if ever did see one. If I was at the site i would certainly look for dead oak leaves and acorn evidence to confirm.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
German G and I went to Cook College at slightly different times, or maybe I just didn't notice him when I was there. :)
We both had Dendrology and were taught by some very smart people. I took Dendrology in winter and my professor told me I would thank him for that some day because we didn't have to worry about leaves. I learned mostly by bark and form.

I say that tree is white oak if ever did see one. If I was at the site i would certainly look for dead oak leaves and acorn evidence to confirm.
I could go either way. Silver maple bark can look like that (like that, meaning looking like white oak!;)) and the multi stem trunk so close to the ground is a very common silver maple trait (and one of their biggest faults as a shade tree). Like Bob, I'm cautious about making the call without a better view. Leaves would be nice, but the opposite branching would give it away if a maple any time of the year, and the buds of the two trees are very different. .

Last edited:
Reactions: RednekF350