YMCA of the Pines Fire

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
There's a fire in progress on the YMCA Camp Ockanickon/Matollionequay property. I was able to get a pretty close look. Have not seen this reported anywhere else yet.

This general area is burning. I'm not sure how extensive it is.

20221110_171028~2.JPG

A7408958.jpg

They briefly had the Matollionequay entrance blocked off, but I was only there for a few minutes and when I left, so had the engines.

A7408966.jpg

I hope no one is injured.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
My father stayed there in Ockanickon in the 1920's. He was born and raised in North Camden and it was quite a culture shock for him. My sister has a letter he sent home to his mother (my grandmother) asking her to come get him !

When was the name of the camp changed ? Please don't tell me that Ockanickon was too offensive. :mad:

Reactions: Boyd and stiltzkin

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
It hasn't been changed, it's still Camp Ockanickon. That's the boy's side of the camp. The girl's side is Matollionequay and the camp as a whole is technically "YMCA of the Pines."

Reactions: Boyd

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
Wow! that is a blast from the past for me! was one of my favorites many, many years ago when I was in grammar school. The album belonged to my mom, we would play it on a Zenith console TV/Stereo combo that was the size and weight of a small truck! thanks Boyd!!!

Reactions: Boyd