Winter weather forecast

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I have two humidifiers, one in the bedroom and one in the kitchen close to the gas furnace intake. I am using at least 4 gallons of water each 24 hours, and they are struggling to maintain even 50% humidity.

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
No humidifier needed today, 55 degrees with 85% humidity here at 8:30 AM!

Screen Shot 2023-01-04 at 8.29.21 AM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: RednekF350

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
No humidifier needed today, 55 degrees with 85% humidity here at 8:30 AM!

View attachment 19000
I can judge the humidity by the texture of my Burley tobacco leaves in my garage. This morning I was putting something away and leaves were limp and soft to the touch. When humidity drops, they get as crisp as a potato chip. It likes heat and higher humidity during the color curing but then after that cool is okay but it needs the humidity to continue to cure. I may bag it tonight because it is odd to get this kind of humidity in winter.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004

"Philadelphia now is at risk of having a “snowless” winter for the first time since the 1972-73 season, the last time that only trace amounts of snow were produced during an entire winter. The city gets an average of 7.1 inches of accumulation per season, with 4.6 inches measured as of this time last year."

[...]

There might be a few storms; however, they likely will be too warm for the coast and really bring snow only to the interior,” DaSilva said, adding that it could be until the latter half of the winter until chances of snow along the coastal Northeast become more frequent.

The 1972-73 reference is interesting to me personally, I moved from Pittsburgh to Bayville and worked at Ocean County College for a year. I remember how warm that winter was - I really liked it and wondered if winters were always that warm. The next year I returned to Pittsburgh, where the winters are pretty rough. Returned to the Pines in 1993 and never left. :)

Last edited:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The 1972-73 reference is interesting to me personally, I moved from Pittsburgh to Bayville and worked at Ocean County College for a year. I remember how warm that winter was - I really liked it and wondered if winters were always that warm. The next year I returned to Pittsburgh, where the winters are pretty rough. Returned to the Pines in 1993 and never left. :)
What's Pittsburgh like, overall. I've not been there.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I was a grad student at Carnegie-Mellon University in 1971-72, got "an offer I couldn't refuse" from OCC that summer, they wanted me to stay after a year, it was a tough choice. Often wondered what would have happened if I did, a real estate agent was trying to sell me a house on the bay. :) But I felt I should complete my studies then or I never would, so I returned to Pittsburgh, where I stayed until 1979, then moved to Central NY and worked there until 1992.

I really enjoyed my years there. Lots of things to see and do, nice neighborhoods, some great schools and cultural institutions. And interesting geography, up and down hills everywhere you go. Very cold and snowy, I needed tire chains for those hills. I think Pittsburgh also has more bridges than any othe US city. Summers were very hot and humid.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I was a grad student at Carnegie-Mellon University in 1971-72, got "an offer I couldn't refuse" from OCC that summer, they wanted me to stay after a year, it was a tough choice. Often wondered what would have happened if I did, a real estate agent was trying to sell me a house on the bay. :) But I felt I should complete my studies then or I never would, so I returned to Pittsburgh, where I stayed until 1979, then moved to Central NY and worked there until 1992.

I really enjoyed my years there. Lots of things to see and do, nice neighborhoods, some great schools and cultural institutions. And interesting geography, up and down hills everywhere you go. Very cold and snowy, I needed tire chains for those hills. I think Pittsburgh also has more bridges than any othe US city. Summers were very hot and humid.
Interesting. I always heard Pittsburgh had good food (not that I'm a foodie, I'm not). Where in Central New York? That's isolated up there. I used to drive a friend to Johnstown NY (center-east) to see a friend. It was always snowing in the winter back then in 1978-1979.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Johnstown doesn't ring any bells, sorry, I was up by Lake Ontario. We had a little farmhouse with 56 wooded acres just outside of Fair Haven. Worked 9 years at SUNY Oswego and 5 in Syracuse. Really loved it there, but don't miss the winters - that is lake effect snow country. Kept that property until 2000 but it was in bad shape and 300 miles was just too far for weekend get-aways.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I remember the winter of 1993-94 (I think) when I first started working in Philadelphia. Lived in the PA suburbs, that was horrible, the state ran out of salt sometime around February - commuting became a nightmare. That same winter I was also going to a worksite in Mount Laurel and the difference was amazing. Like other winters, Southern NJ had rain while PA was all ice and snow.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Some nostalgia from Jan 27, 1994...

"Pennsylvania officials commissioned two trains and an armada of trucks, including an Army Reserve unit, to bring rock salt from upstate New York to the ice-covered Philadelphia region."

[...]

"These extraordinary measures will produce only about a day's worth of salt for the five counties around Philadelphia, which appear to be facing the worst crisis in the Northeast. As of this morning, officials in the region, which has a population of 3 million, had only 1,600 tons of salt. With a record ice storm predicted overnight, Yerusalem said, at least 4,000 to 5,000 tons were needed. He said the train and truck convoy are expected to provide that, but a major snowfall is predicted for Sunday."

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
Surprised no chat about it here; going to get some very cold temps this evening. Similar to that Arctic blast around Christmas Eve.
Air temp around 8, wind chill -8.

weatherstory.png