GM is phasing out Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
With many automakers increasing support, this is rather surprising IMO. Good luck with that, as you can see from the comments, it's not being received very well but that's what I'd expect from a site like MacRumors. I didn't like the wired carplay on my old car, but the new one has wireless CarPlay and wireless phone charging which works very well. This sums it up, it's part of the sad trend to invade our privacy in an attempt to sell us stuff. And GM is working with Goggle to do it, what a surprise:

"The move is expected to help the automaker gather more data about how consumers drive and accelerate a strategy to incentivize vehicle-related digital subscription services."

https://www.macrumors.com/2023/03/31/general-motors-to-phase-out-apple-carplay/

Last edited:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
"...incentivize vehicle-related digital subscription services"

Disgusting. I've been looking for a used car, and I came across this in the specifications of one car having to do with some electronic feature:
"subscription required".

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
It's going to be hard to avoid that going forward. They have systems similar to OnStar (does that even still exist?) for emergency assistance and also to automatically report mechanical/maintenance problems. Of course, law enforcement likes it, because they can automatically shut your vehicle down - same for lenders when you don't pay. And your car can also be tracked wherever you go (might be useful if you have a young driver, I suppose). From what I've read, the only way to disable all of this stuff is to have a mechanic physically remove all the components, which is not trivial.

And it's going a step farther now, where they bundle a 5 year (or whatever) subscription into the purchase price, whether you want it or not, I didn't want it but it was included on my VW anyway. First thing I did was turn off all the automatic reports, where it sends all your statistics to your dealer so they can "help you" if there's a mechanical problem. No thanks, I'll give you a call if I need an appointment. Even so, I get a monthly e-mail from my car, telling me everything is fine.

Reactions: bobpbx

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
This is the paid service to come: Dynamic Navigation (3-year trial). Gives the latest road changes at all times. If you don't pay, you don't keep.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Built-in GPS system. There can be a big variation in the quality of those, I really know nothing about them. In the past, there were many complaints where the company failed to provide updated maps or charged something outrageous. I think they have gotten better in the past few years. Android auto and Apple Carplay are levelling the field there, if the vehicle has it. You can choose from a variety of navigation apps - free and paid on your phone and use it on the car screen. Apple Maps and Google Maps are free without ads (they have business names that are promoted, but don't show any "ads" on the screen, like some free apps do).

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
There have already been some rumblings of making at least some of these types of subscriptions illegal in Jersey. Particularly the most egregious ones that attempt to make you pay on an ongoing basis to use hardware already installed in the vehicle when you purchased it, such as heated seats. As written now, the bill leaves a lot of room for exceptions and broad interpretations, but it's a start.

So far it looks like it has passed some floor votes in the State Assembly.

Reactions: bobpbx and Boyd

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
Yes, unfortunately this is a real thing.

Tesla has tried it:

As has BMW:

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: bobpbx and Boyd

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
From the BMW article:

"Other features that BMW is locking behind subscriptions (as per the company’s digital UK store) include heated steering wheels, from $12 a month; the option to record footage from your car’s cameras, priced at $235 for “unlimited” use; and the “IconicSounds Sport package,” which lets you play engine sounds in your car for a one-time fee of $117. In the latter case, BMW notes that “the hardware for this feature has already been installed in your vehicle during production, at no extra cost.” How generous.

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
From the BMW article:

"Other features that BMW is locking behind subscriptions (as per the company’s digital UK store) include heated steering wheels, from $12 a month; the option to record footage from your car’s cameras, priced at $235 for “unlimited” use; and the “IconicSounds Sport package,” which lets you play engine sounds in your car for a one-time fee of $117. In the latter case, BMW notes that “the hardware for this feature has already been installed in your vehicle during production, at no extra cost.” How generous.
If the hardware has been installed it is costing you.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
If the hardware has been installed it is costing you.
Some of the lasers I work in do the same thing. Drs buy the machine that can be “upgraded” at a later date to accept a different hand piece for a different treatment. They buy the new hand piece but have to pay thousands to upgrade the system which is usually just checking off a box in the service screen. The car manufacturers aren’t even trying to hide it one bit.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
CarPlay isn't the only thing that's being phased out. When I commuted to Philadelphia, I listened to KYW frequently for traffic and news updates. Can't really remember the last time Iistened to an AM station however.

"Automakers, such as BMW, Volkswagen, Mazda and Tesla, are removing AM radios from new electric vehicles because electric engines can interfere with the sound of AM stations. And Ford, one of the nation’s top-three auto sellers, is taking a bigger step, eliminating AM from all of its vehicles, electric or gas-operated."

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
I don't even think my kids know there is an AM band, got me thinking how much audience KYW was missing out on.
Googled and learned they now broadcast on 103.9 FM!

Reactions: Boyd
Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Removing AM based on electrical interference is BS. AM is typically conservative talk radio and religious broadcasting. That there is the real reason(s).

AM, by nature, picked up interference from everything. Using AM radio was sometimes the best forecasting to know when you're getting close to a weather storm or disturbance.

I can't imagine any potential interference caused by an electrical vehicle is going to make that much of a difference for AM broadcasting and you know what, if it does and if it bothers you, don't listen to that band, but don't silence a huge voice from people that want to listen.

Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I only listen to KYW and a podcast but I do now use the FM frequency. When I did use 1060 the red light controls at intersections would cause humming as I stopped or passed by. And forget about getting stuck under a bridge at a red light when something interesting was being talked about.

AM was great when 1210 was a clear channel and the Phillies played years ago when we were in Vermont. We could listen to them in the evenings all the way from Philly.