Bodine's Tavern

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I know that Bodine's is near Harrisville, where the Tuckerton Road crosses the highway, but does anybody know if there is anything left there? A cellar hole perhaps? Any sign pointing out the location?

I might take a ride down there tomorrow afternoon.

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
I took a short look around for it once but was not able to locate anything. I don't think I had a specific spot to check though. There is a lot of sand in the area that people drive over where it was so I thought the vehicle activity may have obscured a possible former foundation hole.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
their is a cellar hole where bodines tavern stood.it"s at the modern day bodines field campsite.the hole is at the upstream end of the camping area right along the river.the red cedar trees and some black cherry trees are the giveaway.some foundation stones are visible grown over and entrapped by a large red cedar.
Al
ps i was there yesterday

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
i dont know.I"ve only seen the old bridge piling while canoeing.you cant see them from the cellar hole of the tavern and I don"t know wether their up or dwonstream.it"s at the very northwestern corner of the bodine field campsite clearing.large red cedars are obvious from the main road into bodines field.
Al

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
I think i've found it tonight. I will post pics in my gallery. If this isn't Bodine's Tavern which I believe is, I found something else. The pics are very dark though because I could only get time to go at night.

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
Has anyone been to this spot? Can anyone confirm that the foundation was in fact Bodine's? I just want to know for sure. There are also two other locations in that area that I want to explore, one old map mentions a skit mill, I am doubtful that something will be there, I will be lucky to find a cellar hole.

TrailOtter

Explorer
Nov 24, 2007
I'll put it here as it has to do with Bodines. I'm reading through the Martha Furnace Diary - in an entry dated 4 August 1808, it states:
"This Day the 2d Company Court of Appeals was held at Bodines. David Vann Attended & returned regular in the Evening.He got Israel Mick to drive for him....".

I wonder if this was held in the tavern. It would be interesting to find the records of the court to see what matters were heard that day......

Also, elections were held at Bodines.

A couple of entries mentioning training at Bodines as well tho this could be at an individual's residence rather than at Bodine's Tavern as it involved people from Martha's furnace...not sure what they mean - any ideas?

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
I'll put it here as it has to do with Bodines. I'm reading through the Martha Furnace Diary - in an entry dated 4 August 1808, it states:
"This Day the 2d Company Court of Appeals was held at Bodines. David Vann Attended & returned regular in the Evening.He got Israel Mick to drive for him....".

I wonder if this was held in the tavern. It would be interesting to find the records of the court to see what matters were heard that day......

A couple of entries mentioning training at Bodines as well tho this could be at an individual's residence rather than at Bodine's Tavern as it involved people from Martha's furnace...not sure what they mean - any ideas?

Training days for war were held at Bodines Tavern, they would "train" and by that I mean get drunk. It talks about this in the Martha Furnace diary.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area

Otter, are you reading from "Iron in the Pines" or are you in possesion of a copy of the diary? That would be interesting to read if so.

TrailOtter

Explorer
Nov 24, 2007
Otter, are you reading from "Iron in the Pines" or are you in possesion of a copy of the diary? That would be interesting to read if so.

I'm reading a copy of the diary - it's a rather interesting read. It mentions many of the streams and local places. Also, you can get a sense of who worked for the forge and when.

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
Has anyone been to this spot? Can anyone confirm that the foundation was in fact Bodine's? I just want to know for sure. There are also two other locations in that area that I want to explore, one old map mentions a skit mill, I am doubtful that something will be there, I will be lucky to find a cellar hole.

I think the remnants of the old raceway and a later bog can be found beyond the cellar hole. I did not find any evidence of the former alleged mill though.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Not sure if Wolfspider will see this, but does anyone know what map he is referring to?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Unfortunately, it's been over a year since he visited the site. I don't know what map he is referring to. But remembered this thread about the tavern from 2020

The imagery in that thread comes from the old LIDAR site that no longer exists, but here is the location where @manumuskin said the tavern used to be in the new terrain viewer.

Screen Shot 2023-08-23 at 3.36.28 PM.png

https://boydsmaps.com/terra/#39.654.../0/0/1000/600/-1000/33/4/2d/grayscale/0/0/z17

Here it is on my 2020 topo

https://boydsmaps.com/#17.00/39.654830/-74.524687/pines2020/0.00/0.00

Reactions: pinelandpaddler
Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Unfortunately, it's been over a year since he visited the site. I don't know what map he is referring to. But remembered this thread about the tavern from 2020

The imagery in that thread comes from the old LIDAR site that no longer exists, but here is the location where @manumuskin said the tavern used to be in the new terrain viewer.

View attachment 20664

https://boydsmaps.com/terra/#39.654.../0/0/1000/600/-1000/33/4/2d/grayscale/0/0/z17

Here it is on my 2020 topo

https://boydsmaps.com/#17.00/39.654830/-74.524687/pines2020/0.00/0.00
And here is what I presume to be the raceway for Bodine's sawmill: https://boydsmaps.com/#19.00/39.655670/-74.526315/midatlidar/0.00/0.00

Reactions: Boyd and manumuskin