forked river mountains

Oct 25, 2006
:) hi,i have been to the forked river mountains twice,once in the late 70s,i came in off of lacey road,i did this in my camaro z78(did not get stuck)i came in where the brookville quad at the northeastern most point shows lacey road,(i took the shortest route),another time time in the late 80s from webbs mills,i did this in my 85 ramcharger this time,my question is?,i was thinking of going there on friday or saturday(i want to show my friend george the vistas)is it still possible to get to them in my 2000 taurus,or is there a walkable route to them from wells mills park,or any other way in walking if a car is not feasible?thanks,jimbo

Oct 25, 2006
thanks,to be safe,whats the best route on the brookville quad from webbs mills?hunting season still on?my friends worried like hell about getting stuck!!!!!

Oct 25, 2006
i will definitely be going to the frm between 1100 and 1200 saturday morning,anyone in the area tomorrow,look for a brown taurus,i and my friend would really like to meet you guys.:)

NJTaco

Oct 18, 2006
Galloway, NJ
As you may already know, FR mountains are on private land, IIRC. Check out FRMC.ORG for more info and stuff. When I spoke to them (FRMC) at the Pinelands Jambo this year, they told me the owners considered "visitors" to be trespassing, if they did not have permission.

I would love to make a trip like this sometime. I will probably wait for the cleanup day to avoid trouble. And to be part of the cleanup, of course.

Good luck with your trip.

Bob

Oct 25, 2006
hi,i agree with you 200%,years back when i heard they were going to build an airport there,i was up in arms,this should be preserved for everyone ,especially people who respect the outdoors,if the state cannot purchase it,perhaps the frmcoalition,unless they are trying(i do not know)should find a way to purchase this area,and if it takes the state park police to put a station out there to stop the trashers,wreckers,and vandals,then so be it!!!!!!!!!!or,the landowner should possibly sign some kind of legal paper(i wholeheartedly believe in property rights)to if he ever sells it,not to a developer,sand company,etc.but only to the state or a conservation organization!!!!!!!!!!!i am surprised the state has not purchased it yet,knowing the beauty,wonder,and awe of this area for present and future mankind!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I don't think that would go over well. Plus, it would be vandalized I would think. And is it close enough to the population to work effectively?

Guy

Y-BUC-BILL

Explorer
Mar 9, 2007
Point of information.A friend of mine lived in Waretown.He told me during WW 11 the Army had an observation tower on top of one of the Forked River Mountains.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Point of information.A friend of mine lived in Waretown.He told me during WW 11 the Army had an observation tower on top of one of the Forked River Mountains.

Bill,

The foundations are still there.

Guy

Y-BUC-BILL

Explorer
Mar 9, 2007
TeeGate.Thanks for the info.We used the Forked River Mountains in the Curly Fern Enduro many times.The view is terrific as you well know.Riding the woods on a cycle is great.Started riding the woods as a trail-blazer and partisapating in organized events since 1947.I have covered many miles of beautiful trails.