Searching and finding Trash!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Jess and I went looking today for a few items on the Division Line for the Hanover Furnace. Our first find was a US Military monument for the portion of Ford Dix that was deeded over to the state in 1976. Next to it was what appears to have been an old wooden post and sign, most likely concerning the monument.

main.php

The deteriorating sign behind it.

main.php

Then I decided to explore on the northern side of route 70 which I rarely do because I feel there is too much trash to contend with. I really am not at all impressed with that area. But since it was near Whitesbogs I felt it would not be too bad. Was I wrong!

Who would do this??? This is within a quarter mile of Whitesbogs.

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

So my opinion of all of the area north of 70 has not changed.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Doesn't it suck Guy!

We are getting ready for the Forked River Mountain Annual Cleanup. Some A-hole dumped dredge spoils at the head of Cook's Branch.

Y-BUC-BILL

Explorer
Mar 9, 2007
When I first got acquainted with the Pinelands back in 1943 there was no dumping as we see it today.The trails saw little use other then the six day deer season.Bring back the old days.

Maybe some of those spy cameras (like the one that caught the family of otters at play) would be called for in cases like these. A friend of mine who's a pilot flew at night over Casco Bay in Maine, taking infrared photos that led directly to a conviction of a company that was dumping effluent into the Bay at night.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Obviously the material was trucked in, more than once probably.
Nobody saw this??? Or nobody cares?
Concerned and sincere people will clean up.
Thoughtless people will dump again.
It will not end.

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
Here's an interesting question. Let's say I happened upon that very pile of debris. Number one, I would like to keep the pines clean. Number two, I have a large firepit in my backyard and that wood would last a looooooooong time. Number three, with my new F-350 I could actually truck that out. So-the question is, do I start loading the debris into my truck knowing that to the ranger passing by it will probably look like I'm UN-loading it and am making up a story to get out of a stiff fine?

Do you think a ranger would actually believe that you're willing to pick stuff up and get rid of it? Or would they just be cynical and write you a ticket? I thought about this once driving through Collier's Mills when I found 5 tires dumped on the side of the road. As I was putting them into the back of my truck I thought-"God I hope no one sees me!" :D

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Here's an interesting question. Let's say I happened upon that very pile of debris. Number one, I would like to keep the pines clean. Number two, I have a large firepit in my backyard and that wood would last a looooooooong time. Number three, with my new F-350 I could actually truck that out. So-the question is, do I start loading the debris into my truck knowing that to the ranger passing by it will probably look like I'm UN-loading it and am making up a story to get out of a stiff fine?

Do you think a ranger would actually believe that you're willing to pick stuff up and get rid of it? Or would they just be cynical and write you a ticket? I thought about this once driving through Collier's Mills when I found 5 tires dumped on the side of the road. As I was putting them into the back of my truck I thought-"God I hope no one sees me!" :D

I've had that concern also, but I would pick it up anyway. KOP had a good suggestion, if you have a digital camera with you, that should cover the bases.

Jeff

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
You know, my twp charges $5 a tire to drop off at the dump. I wish there was some kind of voucher or way to drop off tires that we pick up in the woods without being charged. No way to prove we picked them up in the woods though, so I guess it would be hard to make a system like that work.

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I wrote the Superintendent of Brendan Byrne who I contacted before when I found the Hanover 1824 stolen, and I wrote Whitesbogs Village since the trash is basically in their back yard. I know it is state property because the signs were on the trees there. I sent them photo’s, a map, my phone number, and the GPS coordinates. That is about as much as I can do.

In all of this mess we came upon a wild turkey that tried to duck down and hide from us. We came right up to it before it stood up. It was as curious of us as we were of it. It stood right there and didn’t move. Before I could get my camera out it did walk away. Upon returning 30 minutes later it was there waiting for us :)

Guy

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Guy, that is some obnoxious dumping that you found. Not only enough balls to dump but dropping it in the middle of a road.
The areas down here in Pestletown that me, Bob, Largo, Banjo and others helped clean last October are again starting to get littered up.
Someone is coming in from Elm off the Fleming Pike and travelling the swamp road along Albertson and dumping lumber, tires and domestic trash.
Sickening.
For all the time I spend in the woods we have only caught someone dumping twice.
The first time it was one of my neighbors. The rangers came in right behind me (miracle) and nailed him and made him clean it up. The neighbor still shoots dagger eyes at me every time he goes by.
Fhim.
The other time was on Easter Sunday about 3 years ago. My younger son found a guy just starting to pull scrap wood off of his truck at Millers bog right here. He verbally blasted him and the guy threw the stuff back on and sped off.
If only there was a hunting season on dumpers.
I would gladly buy that permit.
Scott

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have the direct email address of the Superintendent of Lebanon and I hope I get a reply. I did write him earlier this week on another matter and have not heard back, but this is a time for vacations for some people. Next Friday I will write again, or call when I get home from work. I get home on Fridays before the end of the normal work day for most and should get him. I usually would not bother complaining, but as Steve mentioned they may be able to catch this person.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I know that area where you found the trash Guy, as you mentioned it is a real popular dumping ground. The turkey doesn't surprise me either, I've seen quite a few in there. Whites bog rangers generally ignore that area because it is seperated by the pole bridge branch and swamp from the rest of the Whites Bog area.

Jeff

Oct 25, 2006
I have yet to be stopped bringing trash out from various places i go to in the pines by a ranger or the police,on two instances state police cars passed by me with a thumbs up sign in appreciation,but my question on the illegal dumpers or anyone who i see trashing up a place or vandalizing would be what would be the best numbers to call when i take down the person's license plate?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I got a reply from the village of Whitesbogs. They forwarded it to the other person I sent it to...the Superintendent of Brendan Byrne.

Guy