Barrens of fire

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
I also agree with Bob, as I've said before, fire helps keep the pines dominating, otherwise oaks would takeover.
Another added plus in walking through a freshly burned over area, will be the lack of bugs, particularly ticks, pine flies, and inchworms.
If I lived down in that area I definately would go for a hike there, prob the only part of the pines I'd want to walk through at this time of year, since the bugs are usually unbearable.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Warren Grove has a history of problems

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/index.ssf?/base/news-11/1179463247214720.xml&coll=1

That blaze was at least the fifth major training accident in nine years at Warren Grove.
Practice bombs started two major fires in 1999 and 2001. The dummy bombs -- known as DBUs -- contained no explosives but smoke flares, which sparked fires.

The first, dropped by a Pennsylvania Air Guard A-10, missed its target by more than a mile and burned more than 11,000 acres. The second, dropped by a New Jersey Air Guard F-16, missed its tar get by 100 yards and started a fire that burned 1,600 acres.

Less than a year later, a pilot lost control of an F-16 during maneuvers over the range. Although the pilot ejected safely, the $25 million aircraft crashed close enough to the Garden State Parkway to spread debris across the road.

The school strafing in Little Egg Harbor Township occurred in 2004.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
It was interesting I was watching channel six news and they were showing pictures of the burned area. You could hear the birds chirping and singing, they showed some deer foraging the burned remains also, now its time for the pines to rebuild, neat to seen how hardy nature is.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I stopped and took a few pics on Rt. 539 on my way to work yesterday. One thing that struck me was how much garbage was visible on the forest floor of the burned areas close to the road. I know the litter topic has been pretty well covered in other threads, but I was freshly disgusted.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I just got back from the pine plains on 539... what a surreal landscape, will post some photos soon.

I agree GermanG, it's startling to see how many beer, wine, liquor and soda bottles are scattered throughout the area. And that fire must have been *really* hot. The pines are charcoal skeletons, burned all the way down to the ground which is nothing but ashes and sand. Will they really grow back? Looking at it today it's hard to believe they can.

The birds were indeed singing loudly. Bob's advice about wearing paint clothes is good too... I wish I had followed it :)

Oct 25, 2006
I'll be out in the area checking things out tomorrow around 2 to 4,then i have some business to attend to in tuckerton by 5.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
"Jack McCormick, who is chairman of the Department of Ecology and Land Management at the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia, spent an afternoon with me in the plains, where he explained these hypothesis (why the pines in the plains are different than other pitch pines)...his Doctoral dissertation was a study of two watersheds elsewhere in the Pine Barrens, and when he was working on it he lived in a trailer in the woods for two years. He says the plains are ecologically unique....and hopes they will be left as they are. "From studies made here, we can add to our fund of information about the behavior of species from the influence of fire.""

(John McPhee, The Pine Barrens)

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
In addition to the predicted calls for closure of the bombing range (we don't all agree on that, which is fine), I wonder how long it will take the political types to make the perennial demand that a new north/south road be built to relieve the traffic nightmare created by incidents such as this. Never mind the fact that the only land available to build such a road would likely be closed in the event of a major fire as well. We wouldn't want logic like that to get in the way of a perfectly good escape route that can also serve as a draw for all sorts of commercial and residential tax ratables. Kinda brings to mind the lacey rail trail.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
In addition to the predicted calls for closure of the bombing range (we don't all agree on that, which is fine), I wonder how long it will take the political types to make the perennial demand that a new north/south road be built to relieve the traffic nightmare created by incidents such as this. Never mind the fact that the only land available to build such a road would likely be closed in the event of a major fire as well. We wouldn't want logic like that to get in the way of a perfectly good escape route that can also serve as a draw for all sorts of commercial and residential tax ratables. Kinda brings to mind the lacey rail trail.

Indeed German, you are right on target.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown

Watched Corzine's thoughts and inclinations on this last night. This might not be a popular statement among supporters but I am inclined to agree with his considerations of a shutdown of the facility.
What happened is somewhat of a necessity to balance an unique Ecosystem like the Pine Barrens but the manner in which it happened... no.

G.

Oct 25, 2006
Watched Corzine's thoughts and inclinations on this last night. This might not be a popular statement among supporters but I am inclined to agree with his considerations of a shutdown of the facility.
What happened is somewhat of a necessity to balance an unique Ecosystem like the Pine Barrens but the manner in which it happened... no.

G.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/104-05222007-1351011.html

I totally agree with George and the Governor.Secondly,the pilot who accidently strafed the school could not tell he was over an area on the south side of the parkway on rt.539 that he was over a developed area,development starts just past poor mans parkway with a gas station and a liquor store,then starts getting heavier as you get nearer to tuckerton,too much pressure on the trigger?why would you even put your finger on the trigger,even for activating a laser beam over this area. knowing that added pressure can start the cannons?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The Canadians always have that great wilderness at their back door. They don't often visit it, but they like it there just the same. Most people who want to drill in the artic Wildlife refuge could not care any less about the wilderness that is there. Most people who do not want to drill there may never visit it either; but they love the fact that there is an area out yonder that is absolutely unspoiled by modern man's footprint (machinery, mines, noise, etc.).

Where is bobpbx going with this you might ask?

I hate the bombing range there, but I love the bombing range there. Have any of you ever been on the side of the Oswego that hugs the bombing range? I have, about three times. It is bar none the wildest area of the pines; just lovely in its wildness. I have been in savannahs that very few people ever see (or would appreciate). The reason it is so pristine and wild is because of the bombing range. The borders of the bombing range keep out the riff-raff and the families on inner tubes, even the North Jersey Saturday hunters. Its lovely, wild, and free. If the range were suddenly gone, it would be open for business; ATV's, hunters, etc. You get the picture, right?