History of the Brooksbrae Brick Company

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

With all the talk of Brooksbrae ... this morning we finally walked the edges of the 100 acres of the property. As I and others have mentioned before, Harry Neal owned it in the early 1900’s and sold a portion of it to the Brooksbrae Land Improvement Company, and a portion of it to Adams Clay Mining Company. It eventually was purchased by Stanley Switlik who sold it to the state. The edge of most of the property is Lebanon State Forest, and I wanted to see how many of the property stones were still there. I found three stones with one being questionable, and one of them quite large.

Here it is next to the Lebanon monument. It is still black from a recent controlled burn.

IMG_9280.JPG

After walking the complete 100 acres we headed to the factory itself, just as two men were leaving. They did not see us pass just behind them as they stood at their jeep before leaving. So if anyone from this site was there early this morning we walked right by you. As was expected we found evidence of “TeeGate” spray painted on the walls.

IMG_9285.JPG

I took a few photo’s from memory trying to create a “Then and Now”. I was off somewhat but you get the idea. This photo is 1975 and 2007. Notice the corners on the cement have rounded somewhat over the last 32 years from nature and human activity, and the trees are somewhat bigger.

Click on the photo to make it larger.

http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/showphoto.php/photo/5519

Guy

Oct 25, 2006
Guy, i really appreciate your then and now photos, what a treasure to see what time and humankinds effect have on the places you have photographed. :D Thank you for sharing.

Buck

Scout
Jan 23, 2007
Whiting
I have seen the "Teegate" spraypaint, and was meaning to ask about it. Who wrote that and why (assuming, of course, our own Teegate is not a graffiti artist)?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have seen the "Teegate" spraypaint, and was meaning to ask about it. Who wrote that and why (assuming, of course, our own Teegate is not a graffiti artist)?

It wasn’t me. I wish I could write that nice! My handwriting, or in this case spray painting is poor. Anyway, I think I know the man who did it, and it is now water under the bridge. I think I have handled myself fairly well on this site, and if I offended anyone then I am sorry. The person in question must have felt offended. I believe they are over it and all is well except what they did to Brooksbrae.

Guy