Southeast of Hampton Forge

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Headed out today with my buddy Jack and his dog. After poking our noses up Moores Meadow Rd. a little we headed back to Carranza, went south a bit, and hung a right on Glossy Spung. From there we drove down to Hampton and took a right on High Crossing, heading down toward the bridge near where I believe the upper forge used to be. Immediately after the bridge is a road leading south that is unmarked in Google Earth and Google Maps, but which the Teleatlas maps in my GPS labelled "4WD Road," which as you'll see proved an apt name. We took that south, and immediately saw a beautiful bog lying east of the road. It just happened that when we arrived in this area the light was perfect. We didn't have much of an agenda today other than to breathe some crisp air and get a few pictures.

Another shot across the bog. For some reason dead trees kept catching my eye today.

See? Everywhere I looked... dead trees.

Additional strikingly dead trees. These two were standing west of the road a little south of the bog.

On the east side of the road there is a large area of what appears to be young pitch pine. You can see evidence of fire all around, and we assumed this is an area that is growing back, but don't really know the history.

This shot gives a better impression of how wide the area of new growth is. We noticed that some of the trees that survived with fire damage had sprouted a lot of new growth from their roots.

And then of course, a dead tree. I did warn you.

Somewhere off to one side, inhabiting one of many irridescent patches of cascading sunlight, a couple of old crates lay slowly mouldering. They look agricultural, but there was no real evidence of what they had once been used for.

4WD road is not car-able, by any means. We encountered one deep hole after another. In this shot Jack is negotiating one just north of the JCRR tracks in his Tacoma. You probably can't clearly see Gouda's "WTF, master?" face.

Just south of here, but still north of the tracks, we ran into a group of three trucks heading north on the same road. We walked up and they kindly offered to back out to a cut-off they had passed. They warned us that deeper water lay ahead. The lead truck was an F-150, I think, with a mild lift, and he had water and mud in the cabin. After getting around them and shouting thanks, we crossed the tracks and encountered the water they had warned of.

Aside from the recent warning, the other reason we didn't feel good about this is that we couldn't see the drive-out, despite walking as far out on the left-hand side as we could before getting into actual standing water.

Gratuitous shot of venerable, but still good-looking, dog.

On the way back north I snapped this shot along the JCRR tracks.

After this we headed back to High Crossing and took it East to Tuckerton, then dropped down Tuckerton to Mt. Sandy Ridge, which we took south. All this stretch was in pretty good condition, although wet and with plenty of small mud holes. Tough conditions out there for cars right now.

We took Mt. Sandy Ridge to Devious Mt. Rd., and when we got to the turn-off to Jemima we saw this.

When we got over to the hill it was pretty freshly torn up, so I guess someone had a hill-climb party here or something. Jack climbed it, while I drove around. I was getting tired, and I climbed this hill a couple months ago. Didn't really feel like it today, so I spotted for him. The road to the hump from Devious Mountain Rd. is in very rough condition, with numerous deep mudholes that have been recently chewed out. 4WD territory in several places.

In the process of cresting I tried to drive around Jack's taco, but the angle of the approach hid a stump from me, and I knocked in the cheapo plastic front bumper on the FJ, so now I am in the market for a metal aftermarket replacement. Other than that little mishap (just adds character I guess) it was a truly outstanding afternoon if you didn't mind the mudholes.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Really nice savanna photos Mark. I think its one savanna land I have never been to. That is on the upper Batsto, below Hampton?

I like dead trees in the pines too. They give it character and contrast.

andy1015

Explorer
May 4, 2007
Nice pics, not completly sure but i think kids may call that quarter mile run. Not sure though, i know it right aroung there though. But that is where they all go 4 wheelin and it has some of the bigger and deeper puddles you will find. A lot of kids that go back there have lifted trucks and huge tires. So they end up digging some big ruts, which sucks when your truck is stock

whitingrider

Explorer
Jun 28, 2007
Whiting
You just need to have a winch truck along, just in case
Tom
SH101656.JPG

whitingrider

Explorer
Jun 28, 2007
Whiting
Thanks, we all should have a get together sometime. I go out by myself alot and even with 'Lil Red there could be a problem that you need help to get out of.
Tom

andy1015

Explorer
May 4, 2007
yea sounds good, same with me it is normally my girlfriend and I, i do need do get a come along at least though. I belive jeff was telling me get a good american made come along I have really been wanting to get a second vehicle for down there, but can't afford it now. My truck is a stock dakota 4x4, make it through most but i don't risk it normally when im out by myself. plus if i screw it up that the truck i use every day, so if it was out of commision for a week it would screw me all up.

I remember that seeing that truck pic in another thread from a few months ago, it is a nice set up, nothing to crazy, but i imagine you wouldn't have many problems at all.

whitingrider

Explorer
Jun 28, 2007
Whiting
Thanks, Infinite. Thats the first time anyone called it hot, except that time it overheated. How about a springtime get-together to somewhere cool?
Tom

andy1015

Explorer
May 4, 2007
remember i said nothing to crazy, i couldn't have been more wrong, wow i didn't realize it was that big, its a 3500, thats a really nice toy. And you got a 10k winch. Man it honestly looked big but not that big. Nice

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
You just need to have a winch truck along, just in case
Tom
SH101656.JPG

Nice truck. For a Chevy! :)
Best body style they ever had.

It really is a nice truck Whitingrider. Its an oldy and a goody.
My dream truck was always a '79 F-350.
Unfortunately, by the time I could afford one it was 1997! So, I bought a '97 F-350. I still have it and it is bulletproof and just as strong as an old '79.
Something to be said for solid axles as you well know.

If anyone is interested in a truck like yours as a woods truck project, my son has an '87 shortbed with a brand new Jasper 350 with the 4 bolt mains.
Its got a 5" lift and BFG 35's under it. It passed the NJ lifted truck inspection a few years ago.
It's a 1500 series
The truck has been parked for 3 years and its a shame to watch it sit.
As with any Chevy, the body is slowly disintegrating and it needs a front bumper and grill.
Scott

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
The truck Scott speaks of is a good lookin' truck. Tasteful, like Whiting Rider's.
I've eyeballed it a couple times myself but other priorities keep me from shopping 4WD's for awhile.
Tom,
Your truck is a fine one! Looks well kept and ready to go. I always liked that body, even around the Era when there were some sheet metal issues. The Chevies & GMC's are easier to keep and a little less pricey to modify in my opinion.

I was born and raised on the '67 to '72 Chevys & GMC's myself.
I have had every year in many motor & drive train combos, with different cab & bed styles. I miss 'em all. Man those years were gorillas.
My all time favorite was my '67 shortbed/fleetside -w- gears in the 411's behind a 283 with a 4-speed. Insane!
Then my Dad's '69 3/4 ton longbed with 456's behind a 3-speed stick hooked to a 327. Damn!
The last remnant I have is my tired of '69 Flatbed GMC with a converted 350 and 3 speed automatic, now a humbled farm truck.
Fond memories of every one and while they were fun for enjoying the trails, they were all 2WD and all excelled on the street. All loved gas though.

g.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I hike that area all the time. There's a "lake" in the center of all of that savannh with old deer stands. I've seen crates elsewhere and I think they were used for blinds.