June in the Woods

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I decided to follow Sweetwater Run to the Junction with Webbs Mill Brook today. A wise decision. It was beautiful back in there.

Start:

watermark.php

For a time, part of it disappeared and then came up again. This is rising right out of the base of the cedar you see there:

watermark.php

The next two shots show the same stream 10 feet before it joins Webbs Mill Brook. Proof that water is LIFE.

watermark.php

watermark.php

A turtle takes a bath-and eyes me warily. I didn't know box turtles did this.

watermark.php

Here is what Sweetwater Run looks like when it joins Webbs Mill Brook:

watermark.php

Webbs Mill Brook upstream. Nirvana. Cool, Clean, Water.

watermark.php

Carex Lurida

watermark.php

Kalmia latifolia

watermark.php

Later, I found a spot on the Chamberlin Branch that had tall, lovely Arethusa bulbosa orchids. These are rarer in NJ than most people realize. Very particular about habitat.

watermark.php

A bird that was scolding Buddy. Yellow Warbler?

watermark.php

In the thick of it--Chamberlin Branch

watermark.php

T'was a good day

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice! I like the photo of the bird, and as always the turtle.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
very nice pictures it looks like an awesome place to go

Thanks. I went back out today at Bamber and tried to increase my lousy close-up focusing skills. I found out I can better them by shooting in manual mode. I am still not happy. If anyone has tips on focusing close subjects with digital cameras, please give me a tip. Perhaps I need better glasses to see the LCD? (seriously). Here are some from today.

Rose Pogonia

watermark.php

Water Lily

watermark.php

Pitcher

watermark.php

Swamp Azalea

watermark.php

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Thanks. I went back out today at Bamber and tried to increase my lousy close-up focusing skills. I found out I can better them by shooting in manual mode. I am still not happy. If anyone has tips on focusing close subjects with digital cameras, please give me a tip. Perhaps I need better glasses to see the LCD? (seriously). Here are some from today.

You need a camera (or lens, in my case) that will let you shoot in macro mode. Most point and shoot cameras will only focus on objects 6' away or farther. Macro mode (or a macro lens) will let you focus on objects far closer.

My old Fuji Finepix S602Z had a macro setting and was very good for doing close up photography. The 18-55 lens that I have now for my Canon camera does a okay job, but not as good as a dedicated macro lens.

Your camera may have a setting for macro photography. If yours does and you use it then you should be golden. If not, then you're limited by your equipment, and you may want to look and see if you can pick up a used S602Z which took macro photos very nicely.

Attachments

• DSCF0052.JPG
    DSCF0052.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 365

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
You need a camera (or lens, in my case) that will let you shoot in macro mode. Most point and shoot cameras will only focus on objects 6' away or farther. Macro mode (or a macro lens) will let you focus on objects far closer.

My old Fuji Finepix S602Z had a macro setting and was very good for doing close up photography. The 18-55 lens that I have now for my Canon camera does a okay job, but not as good as a dedicated macro lens.

Your camera may have a setting for macro photography. If yours does and you use it then you should be golden. If not, then you're limited by your equipment, and you may want to look and see if you can pick up a used S602Z which took macro photos very nicely.

Mine does have macro, and the first and last one were taken in macro. I am going to buy some fairly strong reading glasses and try using them to look at the view finder.

I also really need to understand the relationship between ISO sensitivity, aperature size, and lens opening speed better.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Sorry just replying Bob.
I remember thinking Saturday as I had things to do, what junkets some of the folks might be taking and were they wonderful? Yours certainly was.
Thanks to you and Buddy for sharing your jaunt into a truly pleasant and inviting little stretch of water in the pines.
I would have had a difficult time not just stopping at your starting point and forgetting the rest of the world existed for a spell.

g.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Very Nice Bob. I always stop there for a break when crossing over it heading in the bamber direction. I followed it down towards Webb's mill only about 50 yards once. Great pics. I would love to follow it in the other direction sometime.

Jeff

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Very Nice Bob. I always stop there for a break when crossing over it heading in the bamber direction. I followed it down towards Webb's mill only about 50 yards once. Great pics. I would love to follow it in the other direction sometime.

Jeff

That I have done Jeff. I followed it across 539 and up into the rolling hill country. I followed it up into the cuesta ridge that separates the rancocas watershed from ours. I followed it long after the continuous dampness petered out, and then some more. Up in that area, there is a long narrow valley with fairly steep sides. The bottom is dry except for some areas where it is actually damp. It was hard to tell after awhile whether I was heading down toward the Western side or not. That is a lovely area due to the silence and prime pine barren topogrophy.

bigw00dy

Scout
Apr 10, 2008
www.kiddshow.com
Thanks Jeff. Where are you from, and what are your interests?

I am from Little Egg and I just enjoy being from this area. I guess I contribute it to a really cool science teacher I had in middle school (PRMS) He made learning about this area fun and interactive. If i could, I would love to get paid to look under logs and rocks all day. But I don't...But i am trying to show my kids the importance of reptiles and plants & such. Or at least make them unafraid of their surroundings

But i am also a some-what amateur photographer! (in my own mind)

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
That I have done Jeff. I followed it across 539 and up into the rolling hill country. I followed it up into the cuesta ridge that separates the rancocas watershed from ours. I followed it long after the continuous dampness petered out, and then some more. Up in that area, there is a long narrow valley with fairly steep sides. The bottom is dry except for some areas where it is actually damp. It was hard to tell after awhile whether I was heading down toward the Western side or not. That is a lovely area due to the silence and prime pine barren topogrophy.

sounds very enticing!!

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Nothing more alluring than a secluded, shaded stream in the pine barrens. Trips like this can be a bit of tough on the photography equipment, though.

Real, real nice work, Bob. I love the adventure spirit members on the forum have.

Brings back memories ...

Back in my less lazy years, Al and I walked the Tulpehocken River (sometimes in, just as often clamboring along its banks) from Carranza Rd. to Hawkins Bridge; I had my best 35mm camera along. Somehow it (and we) survived the journey. I've had a lifelong love affair with that stream, and, tore up as we both became that day, that trip deepened the affection. Somewhere around here I have some prints from that day. If I can find some, I'll scan them in and share. I remember stopping to "smell the roses" countless times that day ...

... as Bob's photos here reveal his doing as well. Great stuff.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Nothing more alluring than a secluded, shaded stream in the pine barrens. Trips like this can be a bit of tough on the photography equipment, though.

Real, real nice work, Bob. I love the adventure spirit members on the forum have.

Brings back memories ...

Back in my less lazy years, Al and I walked the Tulpehocken River (sometimes in, just as often clamboring along its banks) from Carranza Rd. to Hawkins Bridge; I had my best 35mm camera along. Somehow it (and we) survived the journey. I've had a lifelong love affair with that stream, and, tore up as we both became that day, that trip deepened the affection. Somewhere around here I have some prints from that day. If I can find some, I'll scan them in and share. I remember stopping to "smell the roses" countless times that day ...

... as Bob's photos here reveal his doing as well. Great stuff.

Bill, Steve (Bear) led a legendary PBX hike of that lovely stream. We have the report somewhere around here.