Bear

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Without going into detail, I was informed a few weeks back that bears have been raiding the trash cans at a state facility in the pines, and now the Press of Atlantic City is reporting sightings.

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/179/story/238409.html

I have also heard that the bears are not here on their own wanderings. They have been introduced here.

Guy

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
This is interesting just last week I was talking to a friend of my brother in laws about a bear he had on video on cedar lane in chatsworth from 04. We were on the topic of how the sightings seem to die off as it seemed like their was alot in 04ish??.......I do think bears may be down here in small number....but I think the pines would be grounds for more sightings with all the cranberry, blueberry fields. Also on Franklin Parker there are loads of bee hives on the preserve I would think if bears were around in solid numbers they would have found these. I think there solitary bears working there way down the parkway. The cranberry growers and blueberry growers will go into panic mode if these things show up in big numbers.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
This is interesting just last week I was talking to a friend of my brother in laws about a bear he had on video on cedar lane in chatsworth from 04. We were on the topic of how the sightings seem to die off as it seemed like their was alot in 04ish??.......I do think bears may be down here in small number....but I think the pines would be grounds for more sightings with all the cranberry, blueberry fields. Also on Franklin Parker there are loads of bee hives on the preserve I would think if bears were around in solid numbers they would have found these. I think there solitary bears working there way down the parkway. The cranberry growers and blueberry growers will go into panic mode if these things show up in big numbers.

Chris,

When Bob and I went on the Parker Preserve Dedication drive around the bogs, the driver who I believe was the caretaker said they had raided the bee hives and done quite a bit of damage.

Guy

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I have also heard that the bears are not here on their own wanderings. They have been introduced here.

Guy

Yeah, it's all part of the mysterious hidden agenda of NJ Fish and Wildlife to transport and disperse all types of animals throughout the state.
Coyotes were the first part of the agenda. Supposedely the farmers were supporting F&W to bring them in to cut down the deer population.
Bullsh-t!
I don't buy into it. Animals, including us, are by their very nature highly adaptive and mobile.
If F&W has any spare time or money, I would love to see them disperse more CO's into my woods to cut down on the late hour shooters wastefully dropping unretrievable wood ducks into inaccessible areas of the swamps after legal shooting time.
I spend nearly $500.00 a year on licenses and permits for me and my sons and I have seen a CO twice in my 24 years here in Pestletown.
Down the shore, I have been stopped twice in the last 3 weeks for checks of my clamming license and crab pot license. Go figure.
I would love to see bears down here. I hope F&W brings in a nice shipment.
:)

ChrisM

Nov 27, 2008
I've heard those same rumors before too and I hope they're not true. The last thing I would want to run into in the middle of the Pine Barrens is a big, hungry bear.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Well, they are not rumors since they have video of one in Chatsworth a few years ago. It was on Channel 6. And my source that I have known for 35 years had to deal with the aftermath of the bear. So they are there apparently.

Guy

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I hope you didn't misconstrue my thoughts Guy.
I don't think the bears' presence in SJ is a rumor, I just don't believe they are being transported here by F&W.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Scott,

One never knows; however, I hear differently than what you believe. Time will tell.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
F&W have 2 options when there is a problem situation with a bear in the northen territories. Shoot it or move it. If you haven't seen a bruin down here yet, be patient, you soon will. They are in Greenwood, Byrne and Wharton. :bear:

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Scott, I couldn't agree with you more on the CO's. I spend 20 hours a week in the woods and have seen one conservation officer in 5 years. I've had meetings with conservation officers about being more vigilant in regards to illegal collecting of reptiles to not much avail.....it is quite frustrating.

As for the bears I have no doubt bears may be being relocated....however I don't think it is being done on any large level as I don't think the state has any money to do such a large project. Just a FYI, bears have been confirmed in every county in NJ including all Southern Jersey counties......

Guy, was the caretaker Lewis at Franklin Parker? I will ask if they have any sightings this year.....it seems though that the sightings have dropped off from 04.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
rednek said:
Supposedely the farmers were supporting F&W to bring them in to cut down the deer population.

And I've heard that the insurance companies were bringing them in to cut down on the deer population.

Anyhow, do bears make for good eatin?

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Bears are supposed to be good eating. A buddy gave me some tenderloin from a bear he shot in maine once. For some reason it remined me of my black lab and I couldn't eat it. The lab loved it though. I've long heard rumors of bears being relocated or introduced here by the state myself. I even once had someone tell me they saw a young bear with a radio collar on it near Chatsworth about 15 years ago. While I generally approve of restoring historic populations of wildlife, not every species can peacfully coexist with the present patterns of human development, especially considering how stupid some humans are (Honey, there's a bear in the yard! Go get me some donuts and the camera!)

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
We get along pretty well with our bears up here in the highlands. They scare the occasional housewife, and one almost made me drop a circular saw once when I was working in my back yard, but other than that I would have to say the deer have a much larger negative impact.

Speaking of bears my daughters and I saw a black bear cub killed by the side of the road a week ago. That was a first. It made my girls very sad.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

Guy, was the caretaker Lewis at Franklin Parker? I will ask if they have any sightings this year.....it seems though that the sightings have dropped off from 04.

I can't remember what his name was, but maybe Bob can. I believe he lived in Medford but that may even be wrong. He was fairly young as I recall. A nice tour guide. We were the last tour and everyone was leaving and as we found out there was some sort of vocal rally that was going to happen with the NJCF members after everyone left. He was talking us on the tour and must have known that was going to happen and he was the only one not there. When we arrived back at the tent area, Bob and I decided to exit the van and walk all the way back to our cars which were on the landing strip. After we were some distance away we could hear them cheering amongst themselves for pulling off the purchase. It was an interesting day.

Guy

C

CRABBY

About the bears

I'm new to this forum, but was interested to find the discussion on black bears in the NJ Pines. Two years ago my partner and I planned a simple backpacking trip from Batsto to Lower Forge . . . only to have Corzine shut down the government and everything else. When the parks re-opened that Sunday we decided to drive down there anyway and get acquainted with the area. We drove into the area from Atsion and headed toward Lower Forge . . . once we crossed Quaker Bridge we both saw something standing upright in the brush slightly ahead of us and to our right . . . low and behold it was a black bear. As soon as we had gotten closer in the pick up it ducked under the low trees and disappeared (thankfully).

I've also heard the "rumor" that the bears are being re-located from north Jersey.