Driftin' 'round The Forge

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
Hello,

I have been reading the forum for a while and thought I would finally join and share some photos. Most are from the Stafford Forge area where I can be found marching with my dogs and packing trash out of the pines. The gallery is large and takes a while to load, be patient. (Hint: Once you click the first image you may scroll with mouse wheel) Enjoy.

The Forge

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They are exceptional photo's! You are quite good at getting the perfect photo. I am impressed! Nice surfing photo's also.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Cool stuff... welcome! Is this your Pancoast?

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.5202805425084&lng=-74.87416505813599&z=16&type=m&gpx=

Frequently drive through there and it's an interesting area. But I think there are multiple Pancoasts in New Jersey. I have always liked the Stafford Forge area a lot for some reason. Interesting mixture of different landscapes...

Have taken a LOT of photos there over the years, and even some video. Was especially interesting after the fire last year, I need to get back up there again:

http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/showgallery.php?cat=515

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I am up north of that location in Warren Grove where the Old Pancoast Road makes an appearance as a real paved street for a short stretch.

Nice fire photos on the other link Pancoast. I almost bought the last house on the right leaving Warren Grove (on Pancoast Road) heading East in 1980. It was going for $45,000. An older couple from England were living there at the time.

Our exploring club did a trip through the plains on the West side of the fire area called "High Plains Drifting" in 2003 or so. Are you a drifter too?

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Welcome PanCoast!
Nice opener man! You have a lot of really great shots going on. It's good that you draw from your own surroundings to do such work. Nice area. Like those Labs too man. I look at fellas like yourself, Whip, Boyd, and think "man, what a good eye!" I like to take a pic but you guys rock. Sir, you are in good company here. Thanks for sharing great images and hopefully you'll enjoy this rather diverse if not ecclectic group of folks who will enjoy your work in turn.

g.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
One is actually a Golden/Shepherd-Rottweiler (terrible hips), the other is a Lab.

Funny, That was the edit in my post. I thought you had a singular Lab and something else but then figured it could be a Lab mix. I've had a few long haired Labs myself. That is an interesting mix and the hips don't surprise me. That stinks. Either way they both seem good water companions and you could publish a really good 12 month calender featuring their photo's in the outdoors alone.
I will say of the road the road photos, some are funny. Catching the (sizeable) woman going down the road on the electric scooter, priceless.
What do you do, drive around with camera poised in hand waiting for whatever comes into view?

g.

Oct 25, 2006
Enjoyed all of your great photos, Stafford Forge is one area that i have yet to see, your photos definitely have put the area on a must see list.

Jim

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Fantastic photos. Your use of depth is incredible!! The micro and the macro all in one photo. Terrific!! I especially enjoy photos of submerged objects taken from above the water. I've taken a few photos like that myself but strickly very novice at best. As I continued through the photos I gained an appreciation for your sensitivity to color and light also. Your cameral angle perspective is art. Welcome to the site.

Jeff

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
Thanks. I am building another gallery that will be all reflections like the one below. I love the painterly quality. My method is to just take allot of pictures, keep the lens clean and some are bound to come out decent. I remember being a slave to film and how restrained it made me and how costly it was. Now I average about a thousand pictures a month...

Reflection

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Stunning Photos

Really stunning photos. What kind of camera? Labs and water, a beautiful sight, eh? Some of the photos cause me to reverse the image without trying, which is hard to describe, I feel inclined to flip my computer around. I sense much geometry. Very nice.

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
Thanks. Your gonna laugh, but 99% are shot with a Canon SD400 5 MP, fits nice in the pocket. I have an older Canon G1 I use for night shots. I had a film SLR but broke the lens mount years ago and never went back. Hopefully I will have a DSLR by spring.

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Good eye

Well, you compensate for your camera's limitations by using the greatest camera on earth--your eyes! You have a keen sense of capturing moments usually overlooked, and these are the photos that reveal much wonder to me, as opposed to the huge panoramic landscape shots, you seem to focus on the largeness of the small. I often find the most breath-taking scenes in such places. I still have a Minolta SRT-102, still works great but needs a battery for the light-meter! I loved taking macro shots of tiny things as opposed to telephoto shots. I loved to use slides and slower speeds for great color saturation. I also loved to set it up on a tripod to do timed exposures of streams during moon-lit nights. Also, black and white photos on the beach and in the pines are awesome.

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
When I first saw the Harlequins at Barnegate Light house there was a local resident taking pics With a DSLR with two telephoto lenses, Bayonet type mount, It Took some awesome pics of the old Squaws and the Harlequins . The camera itself looked to be about the size of a cigarette pack, maybe a tad larger. The tripod attached to the lens and not the camera. Beautiful set up

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
I guess I am down on my hands and knees allot taking pics...lol. Kind of hard not to when you step back and all you see is mans' careless side. Took this one today.
IMG_1284SM.JPG

On a brighter, note I made a gallery of the Blue Bog Hole.

Edit: I did go find a stick and pried that bottle out of the ice.