Driftin' 'round The Forge

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
Oh and Furb! I noticed ya had to outdo me with the fish i had on earlier LOL!!! Isn't that the decoy snook you showed me before ?????

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I still have a Minolta SRT-102, still works great but needs a battery for the light-meter!

They are good camera's. I have the SRTSC2 which is quite rare, but the photo's were never as good as my friends SRT-100. Here is a never before posted photo of me with dirty hands using my friends camera in my side view mirror. This was developed in October 1975.

Guy10_75.jpg

Guy

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Decoy Snook

Oh and Furb! I noticed ya had to outdo me with the fish i had on earlier LOL!!! Isn't that the decoy snook you showed me before ?????

Yeah, Tom , I got the Snook Decoy @ I. Goldbergski's in Cedar Key, FL: 35" and 12 pounds. I still cannot figure why you bought that 12", 3.5 ounce Largemouth Decoy @ I. Goldbergs in Cherry Hill---hardly seems worth the price !!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!:D

Don't worry, after March 13th you will have a new Avatar with a REAL FLORIDA BASS !!!!!:dance:

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
It is rare (at least in my short history around here) that it snows and there is no wind to blow all the snow off the trees. Despite the gray sky it was a nice day out there. I sharpened some of these... ;-)
IMG_1497%20sharp%20SM.JPG

IMG_1534a%20sm.JPG

IMG_1589sm.JPG

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
Sarcasm alert...

Are you an aspiring landscaper who has some stumps to dump? How about some old tires that are cluttering your yard? Well stop by Stafford Forge and just drop them anywhere you like! :bang:

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
Thanks guys. It is great to have a crowd to share the photos with. Makes me want a DSLR too...

Yes TeeGate, the A-10's and F-16's returned in December. I went there soon after, but no more public visits to the tower, at least for now. Which is too bad because I promised my nephews I would take them. During their down time at the range they built a new fence and gate. You can't even drive up to the building anymore. They were installing some kind of call box outside the gate when I was there.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks guys. It is great to have a crowd to share the photos with. Makes me want a DSLR too...

Yes TeeGate, the A-10's and F-16's returned in December. I went there soon after, but no more public visits to the tower, at least for now. Which is too bad because I promised my nephews I would take them. During their down time at the range they built a new fence and gate. You can't even drive up to the building anymore. They were installing some kind of call box outside the gate when I was there.

I was there one day a few years ago and the road grader was in operation. I was parked at the top of the hill and he stopped thinking I had never been there before. He told me I could ride down to the gate but I should never go in. So I am curious as to how one could just ride to the building and not stop at the gate being open or closed.

Guy

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
The gate was always open unless they were using laser targeting. Then no one was admitted. If the gate was open, you could just drive through, park at the building and had to go in and sign in. They usually had a public relations officer on duty or somebody there and they could tell you when flights were expected. Once signed in, you could walk up in the tower and watch the practice flights. I went a few times before the fire. They would call the pilots up and say we have a visitor and the pilots would buzz the tower after their runs just like in the video below. I have video, but not uploaded anywhere. VERY COOL STUFF!

I guess since the fire they have shut down the whole public aspect to it. When I asked if they were ever going to let the public in again the guy said, if they do, it would not be for a very long time. I guess the fire has been a public relations nightmare for them.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Thanks. Your gonna laugh, but 99% are shot with a Canon SD400 5 MP, fits nice in the pocket.

That's great. I have an SD600 myself, in addition to a Nikon D80 with a bunch of lenses. The pictures I've posted here from the SD600 have been some of the most popular too. As they say, "content is king". The Canon Elph's are really great little cameras though, you can carry one around all the time and never even realize it's there until you need it.

When I was in high school I took pictures of the football games for the paper with a Minolta SLR. Can't remember the model number anymore. When I went to college all my camera gear was stolen out of my trunk when visiting a friend in the Village... after that I switched to Nikon and still have two old Nikkormat's and several Nikkor lenses from the 60's. I loved the old SLR's, but don't miss the hassle of processing the film. :)

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
You're right, but security and the viewing area changed soon after 9/11 and years before that right after the 'copter crash. You used to be able to park along the runway area. The gun target was located farther north of where it is now and the old bomb target, north and west. This was even before the current tower was built. I haven't been up in years for airplanes, just PB botanicals.
Were you still allowed up in the tower post 9/11? I never even tried to visit after talking to some other Range Rats.

I think what really changed security was laser targeting. Units go there and practice painting the target and talking to pilots etc. I was there in '06 and '07 and you could still go up in the tower but you could only park by the building. They used to have Cobras firing 50 cals and C-15's practicing, what I call the Baghdad drop-in (super steep approaches). I still have a flier somewhere that I picked up there that named all the aircraft and units that used it. Now they only have A-10's and F-16's. I would love to have seen an F-4 or 111. Those things are monsters compared to todays jets.

Here are some pics of an old target they had stored by the tower.
IMG_6030sm.JPG

IMG_6027sm.JPG

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
Our Company used to deliver to Fort Dix out on the ranges and they would pour 20 yard blocks just to practice with , They would get blown to bits in no time when they were using the ranges. I would have loved to seen them in action