Rt. 70 Road Trip

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
There had been a number of places I've wanted to shoot over the years but had always put it off. Needing to clear my head today, I decided to head West along Rt. 70 to capture some of these places. The photos start at Lakehurst in the east and work west out to Medford, where I backtracked 70 and took 206 down to Atsion. My camera finally died, so I spent the rest of the day aimlessly driving the sand roads through Wharton in my Jeep.

None of these photos are really anything new and earthshattering, although if you're like me you've passed them many times and never stopped to take a closer look. Now is your chance.

http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/showgallery.php/cat/723

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
I work right in Vincentown ,on 206 ,and I've seen those sights many times ,but when some one takes the time to see them thru a lens , you can't help but appreciate them and also see a little bit of History along the way, Especially that old station on RT 70. I remember pulling along the road there and buying tasty cakes for dirt cheap........Hmmmmmm I think I finally figured out why I'm as big as a mouse .........A hippopotamouse, LOL! Wheat Kind of Digital did you use?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Was that homestead the one on the 206 circle? That one always intrigued me. I lived in Hampton Lakes from 1961-1963, so I went by that circle many times in my youth. I always wondered who they were, how they made their living etc. I wonder if they are still alive and working. Probably not.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Was that homestead the one on the 206 circle? That one always intrigued me. I lived in Hampton Lakes from 1961-1963, so I went by that circle many times in my youth. I always wondered who they were, how they made their living etc. I wonder if they are still alive and working. Probably not.

Yes, it's the one on the 70/206 circle. I've always been fascinated by it. I've passed it a bunch of times and always have been like "I'm going to photograph that" but never have. That (and getting away from things for a while) was the point of yesterdays road trip.

The farm still seems like it's in operation. I looked on Google Earth and it shows planted/plowed fields. The buildings also look like they're in good shape as well.

Oct 25, 2006
Ben

Nice road trip to clear ones head, great photos of nostalgic places.

The Evergreen Dairy Bar if people didn't know this already, has a great Classic and Muscle Car Show every Tuesday night during the Summer.

I also concerning the Hoagie sign at Red Top Market have been amazed that when people are in in the Shore area, a Hoagie turns into a Sub.

Jim

Nice picture's Ben, look's like you had a nice day. I can't believe that they still have that Farmall peddle tractor on top of the Red Top Market sign, I have one very similiar to it from when I was a kid. I couldn't believe it when I found out how much they were worth.

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
The Guitarist/ lead singer and drum player are Our company salesman and One of our drivers that plays at the cruise at the Evergreen, I've never been there tho, once i get done driving for ten hours I'm gone ( the dead do come back to life at quitting time)! I hear they're pretty good Tho. The old gas station at skeet rd? can anyone remember that being a lake across the street? Memory tells me that it was a very long time ago. I can remember people swimming in the stream below and it was much higher and the contour of the land shows that it might have been one.

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
Great pics Ben!!! I'm hoping to get a "head clearing day" this sunday (1/25) and get some camera time in.

I went to one of the cruises at the Evergreen over the summer. The lot was packed, the food was good and so was the band. Oh yeah, some pretty nice cars in there too!!

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
Talk about a head and soul clearing , I'm off most of the time from lack of work and I've been out in the pines almost everyday, I'm heading out in about an hour and it is the best clearing I've had in a long time . The silence and beauty of the pines is just about the best it can get!!!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I hope the trip did what you intended it to do. Sometimes you just have to go to the pines. Thanks Ben.

Guy

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
You are a regular Tom Bodett!
That was a neat run Ben.
I always thought about doing something similar along the Black Horse Pike as it passes through the pines.
Beginning in Cecil and headed east, there area lot of unusual motels, buildings and businesses, some abandoned, some not, and then long stretches of pure pines between 559 and 50.
Once you hit the Hamilton Mall the party is over.

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
Hey Ben, The area across from that old station , do you or anybody else remember if that was a lake years ago? I seem to remember it being one .

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Hey Ben, The area across from that old station , do you or anybody else remember if that was a lake years ago? I seem to remember it being one .

Old aerial photos show a small pond right next to the station that became overgrown in the late 60's. BTW do you work for L&L?