Lacey

Oct 25, 2006
All

Yesterday i went out to the Pine Barrens to do some Monument and Stone hunting in the snow. My friend George could not make it yesterday so i went with a new traveling companion that i will mention in a short time. I did not expect to find many of the numerous items that i was looking for, but there was only one Monument that i did not find due to the snow cover.

I took my usual route to the Pine Barrens Rt.538, Rt.530, then making a right hand turn on Magniolia Road to go to Four Mile Circle i first stopped at one of my favorite lakes, Pemberton Lake, i wonder how the fishing is in this lake and what is to be caught, Geese were all over the place.
IMG_0884.JPG

After leaving the lake site i then proceeded to Rt.72 east to the Coyle Field area, i took the following pic of an abandoned ruin, i have no idea what is was used for.
IMG_0885.JPG

After viewing the ruin it was now time to go Stone and Monument hunting, here is a pic of Lauries Road just off the entrance to Rt.72.
IMG_0886.JPG

I then went to the Old Half Way area to look for my first Monument, after a brief search and due to the snow cover it went unfound, what a start to the day, but i knew it would be one of those days.

Next is a pic of a lonely sentinel standing in the snow deep in the woods.
IMG_0887.JPG

I then went on to visit the next Monument on my list, i had to do some snow removal but the first find was in the bag, i think this is an old Union Township Monument, and Guy can correct me if i am wrong, notice the Monument seems like it was cut in half.
IMG_0888.JPG

Now i would like to introduce my new traveling companion, her name is Lacey, she just turned 8 months old on Jan.27th. Notice the smudge marks on the pic, i had to wipe off the camera lens many times yesterday due to the snow blowing off of the trees.
IMG_0889.JPG

Next is a pic of a sign just off of Rt.539.
IMG_0890.JPG

It was now time to find the next Monument, which i believe to be another old Union Township Marker.
IMG_0891.JPG

A view of Rt.539 looking north.
IMG_0892.JPG

Time now to look yet for another old Union Township Marker, i parked the Jeep at a designated narrow trail, here is Lacey standing guard in the snow.
IMG_0893.JPG

While traversing the trail she started barking and after finally catching up with her she found this old washing machine, how did it get here on this narrow trail.
IMG_0894.JPG

Next is a pic of IMHO one of the most scenic vistas in the Pines whether it is summer or winter, the Lacey Township Hills are in the background.
IMG_0895.JPG

Lacey was so a ball of excitement enjoying the snow, she got ahead of me again as she did all day, mostly thirty yards or less, she started barking again and when i arrived at her spot i found this wash tub.
IMG_0897.JPG

She kept on trying to turn the tub over numerous times, i knew i was real close to the next Monument, so just to please her curiosity i turned over the tub finding another old Union Township Monument. Maybe i can train her to find Stones and Monuments.:)
IMG_0898.JPG

Lacey deciding what to do next.
IMG_0899.JPG

It was now time to get back to the Jeep, while walking back Lacey got about fifty yards ahead of me, she was out of sight, calling out of her name quickly brought her back to me, i had to take this action shot.
IMG_0900.JPG

We then got back to the Jeep returning to Rt.72 west, i then took the following pic looking West, this is another of one of my favorite vista points in the Pines.
IMG_0901.JPG

We then made a left hand turn onto Sooy Road, passing the environmental waste site taking Sooy Road to Chatsworth Road then Jenkins Road to Oswego Lake, notice the only part of the lake that was not frozen was around the bridge area.
IMG_0902.JPG

We then went to Rt.563 north and turning left onto Friendship-Speedwell Road i then went to look for two what i think are property Stones in the Parker Preserve. Here is a pic of the first.
IMG_0903.JPG

A pic of the second Stone, had to do some snow removal here.
IMG_0904.JPG

We then visited Apple Pie Hill, i spotted two hikers, a man and a woman at the top of the hill, we all said what a great day to be in the Pines, i saw them a while later walking down the road to Rt.532.

I then wanted to visit another Township Stone and a Geodetic Disk deep in the woods off of Tuckerton Road, i took the short cut to Carranza Road at the Bordentown Gun Club, after 3 miles of driving i then spotted a small white car stuck in a deep washout with a friend of his out on dry road with his 4 wheel drive truck that sat real high just in back of him, i stopped and they asked me if i had a winch, replying no, i ask if they were ok, they had a cell phone calling a friend. I did not attempt that washout. If you have a car do not try the Road!!!!!!

Can anyone guess the location of this pic ?
IMG_0905.JPG

Turning around i then had to go back to Rt.532 to go to Carranza Road, there goes the short cut, Moore's Meadow would have been great, but no outlet was the end of that. Traveling on Carranza going past the boot camp i then entered Tuckerton Road, i then found after a longer search and a lot of snow removal the Geodetic Survey Disk. I in my haste was here before but i forgot what Guy said about clues in locating things, blazes, witness posts etc. My Garmin E-Trex at the location was accurate to 13 feet. Guys coordinates were right on the money as usual, my GPS was the one in error.
IMG_0906.JPG

Another two words are necessary if you want to take your car on Tuckerton Road, Do Not!!!!!!!, there were numerous on the shallow side washouts covering one side of the road to the other side of the road, there is also a nasty deep rutted section around High Crossing. A pic of one of the washouts.
IMG_0908.JPG

I then went to find another Township Stone, i believe it is a Tabernacle Township Stone, it looks to me like there are some letters on the Stone, possibly a T., i could be wrong.
IMG_0909.JPG

It was getting on the late side now, i was exhausted, the dog slept all the way home, as a footnote, the paved roads in NJ were all plowed and clean yesterday, the side street that i lived on back home was not even touched, it was great to enjoy a snow filled day in the Pines yesterday with my new pup, her first time frolicking in the snow. Only 140 miles were put on the odometer yesterday, and i only missed finding one Monument. The Jeep definitely needs a wash and wax job, filthy isn't the word. I'd rate the trip yesterday a 90+. Thanks also to Guy for the Stone and Monument GPS numbers.

Jim

Oct 25, 2006
Great report Jimbo - and what a cool new companion you have!

Thanks Boyd, she definitely calmed the hurt of a dog that i lost last July, she was over 17 years old.

The one thing that i was worried about yesterday was it was the first time that i shot snow pics, i was worried about the white balance, i just gave it a try in full auto on the camera, i am pleased that they all turned out.

Jim

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
awesome write up. I have fished Pemeberton lake before, from shore. It was good, alot of medium sized Largemouth, off of rubber worm. I had one fish on that broke my spiderwire, wow!!! I really wanted to know what that was. It did not feel like a turtle.

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
i took the short cut to Carranza Road at the Bordentown Gun Club, after 3 miles of driving i then spotted a small white car stuck in a deep washout with a friend of his out on dry road with his 4 wheel drive truck that sat real high just in back of him, i stopped and they asked me if i had a winch, replying no, i ask if they were ok, they had a cell phone calling a friend. I did not attempt that washout. If you have a car do not try the Road!!!!!!
Jim
I know that hole well, last January a friend and I also got stuck in that hole, and it was in his 4x4 truck. That hole is deep and apparently had a big rut midpoint that kept all 4 wheels of his truck off the ground. After 2 hours a jeep came by with a winch and pulled us out. So now we use the "when in doubt, back it out" rule. The other end of that road also gets real bad in the summer due to deep sugar sand heading up to the carranza camp ground.

Oct 25, 2006
I know that hole well, last January a friend and I also got stuck in that hole, and it was in his 4x4 truck. That hole is deep and apparently had a big rut midpoint that kept all 4 wheels of his truck off the ground. After 2 hours a jeep came by with a winch and pulled us out. So now we use the "when in doubt, back it out" rule. The other end of that road also gets real bad in the summer due to deep sugar sand heading up to the carranza camp ground.

When i bought the Jeep last July that was the second road that i went wheelin on, i said to my friend while going past that hole that it would get real deep after numerous rains, i had no trouble with the sugar sand, i drove most of the road in 2 wheel drive.

Jim

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Great report Jim and that's a beautiful new companion you have there!
The more time you spend with her off-lead the better she will become at staying close and returning to you when you call.
They like to test their bravery at this age and my dog is starting to run ahead a hundred or so yards every so often on our walks. He comes smokin' back as soon as he realizes I am out of site.
I keep him close most of the time and try to keep him busy sniffing out things as we go, to keep him from ranging.
That was a prime day to be in the woods.
Scott

Oct 25, 2006
Great report Jim and that's a beautiful new companion you have there!
The more time you spend with her off-lead the better she will become at staying close and returning to you when you call.
They like to test their bravery at this age and my dog is starting to run ahead a hundred or so yards every so often on our walks. He comes smokin' back as soon as he realizes I am out of site.
I keep him close most of the time and try to keep him busy sniffing out things as we go, to keep him from ranging.
That was a prime day to be in the woods.
Scott

Thanks Scott, i thought i lost her until she came stormin back, what a relief.

Scott

In your opinion with the current conditions, what do you think of traveling on West Mills Road this weekend to look for the Nescohague Geodetic Survey Disk which i have yet to find. The area where you cross the Gun Branch seems like it may be a major problem.

Jim

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Congratulations on your new pup. A big difference from a 17 yo I bet. Our paths crossed on Tuckerton Road yesterday. I'm sorry we missed each other, I'd have enjoyed meeting you and my gang would love Lacey.

BTW a dirty jeep is a happy jeep. :)

Ed

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
when approahing a hole like that there is a technique to gettiung threw. when people with larger tires goes threw, obviously the ruts get deeper and the center gets higher. I have got stuck in some ruts with 35" tires and the same holes I have got by in my Saturn. place on side of your vehicle to where its in the dead center of hole and let the other side ride the side of the hole, you'll be surprised when your wheels dont even get wet. I have got my Saturn places that have put many people in disbelief.

Oct 25, 2006
Congratulations on your new pup. A big difference from a 17 yo I bet. Our paths crossed on Tuckerton Road yesterday. I'm sorry we missed each other, I'd have enjoyed meeting you and my gang would love Lacey.

BTW a dirty jeep is a happy jeep. :)

Ed

Ed

Thank you on the new pup.

I exited Tuckerton Road onto Carranza Road around 3:45 P.M., as i was making the left hand turn onto Carranza Road two pickup trucks were making the right hand turn onto Tuckerton Road, were you in one of them ?

Jim

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jim,

As usual an interesting report. And finally seeing your dog made it even better.

The ruins you found along 72 (previously Route 40) at Coyle Field was a dedication monument to Colonel Coyle that was dedicated in August of 1938. Obviously, something happened to it as always does with things in the pines left unattended.

Here is the info on it. Take note of the radio tower that was across the road. This is the same location that I have info saying the Cedar Bridge Fire tower once stood, so finding the years they were there would set the record straight on that confusion.

July 6, 1938

Officials of the Forest Fire Service of the Department of Conservation and Development are planning the dedication next month of a memorial to the late Colonel Leonidas Coyle, for over 25 years head of the bureau, and known as the "Flying Colonel." The marker will be erected on Route 40, about 12 miles below Four Mile Colony. Contributions of forest fire employees will pay for the monument. Ceremonies at the same time will dedicate the bureau's new landing field opposite the recently completed radio tower near the site.

As for the Union Township Monument being damaged, that occurred last winter when the bulldozer moved it's way down that road for some odd reason making a mess of things.

Guy

Oct 25, 2006
Jim,

As usual an interesting report. And finally seeing your dog made it even better.

The ruins you found along 72 (previously Route 40) at Coyle Field was a dedication monument to Colonel Coyle that was dedicated in August of 1938. Obviously, something happened to it as always does with things in the pines left unattended.

Here is the info on it. Take note of the radio tower that was across the road. This is the same location that I have info saying the Cedar Bridge Fire tower once stood, so finding the years they were there would set the record straight on that confusion.

July 6, 1938

Officials of the Forest Fire Service of the Department of Conservation and Development are planning the dedication next month of a memorial to the late Colonel Leonidas Coyle, for over 25 years head of the bureau, and known as the "Flying Colonel." The marker will be erected on Route 40, about 12 miles below Four Mile Colony. Contributions of forest fire employees will pay for the monument. Ceremonies at the same time will dedicate the bureau's new landing field opposite the recently completed radio tower near the site.

As for the Union Township Monument being damaged, that occurred last winter when the bulldozer moved it's way down that road for some odd reason making a mess of things.

Guy

Guy

Concerning the damaged Monument, don't the people who bulldoze areas have access to tax maps etc. before they do these things, IMHO i think it is total stupidity.

Regarding Rt.72 when it was Rt.40, shouldn't it be Rt.40 S, and Rt.70 was designated as Rt.40

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy

Concerning the damaged Monument, don't the people who bulldoze areas have access to tax maps etc. before they do these things, IMHO i think it is total stupidity.

Regarding Rt.72 when it was Rt.40, shouldn't it be Rt.40 S, and Rt.70 was designated as Rt.40

I knew is as 40 S also, but the article stated 40 so I wrote 40.

Guy

I knew is as 40 S also, but the article stated 40 so I wrote 40.

Guy

Gentlemen:

The correct pre-1953 designator for that particular state highway is S40 as it was a “Spur” road from the regular (and previously numbered) State Route 40, the latter highway being first planned in 1927. The initial construction phases for S40 began in 1930 from the Burlington-Ocean County boundary line to County Route 532 and also from County Route 532 to U.S. Route 9. The sections from Four-Mile Circle to Lebanon Road and from Lebanon Road to the county line underwent construction in 1936, completing the roadway on the mainland. To gain access to LBI, the New Jersey State Highway Department had already assumed control of the viaduct and Thoroughfare lift bridge, stretching from the west side of the Intracoastal Waterway to Long Beach Boulevard, during 1926. The state proceeded to widen the trestling and moveable bridge, first built in 1911, from the original 18 feet to 30 feet to improve traffic safety and flow. The completion of State Route S40 doomed the Pennsylvania Railroad/Tuckerton Railroad presence on LBI to a fiscally inglorious end, although the actual finis for the rail service came when a nor’easter in the fall of 1935 destroyed the trestling. During the normally very busy summer season, the railroad carried less than 1600 passengers in 1935, generating a mere trifle in net revenue and not nearly enough receipts to warrant reconstructing the destroyed trestling and swingspan drawbridge.

Best regards,
Jerseyman